PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning lenses/filters: Giottos Rocket Air Blaster?

Rider
7-Aug-2011, 08:28
Hi all,

Is the Giottos Rocket Air Blaster good for cleaning lenses/film/filters? Is there a better solution that's safe to use?

lenser
7-Aug-2011, 08:33
I can't speak for he air blaster, but I have used lens pens for a few years now with total satisfaction. Brush the dust away with the very gentle slide out bristles and then use the soft pad at the other end to clean any finger prints, etc. I have three in different kit bags. Cost is around $11.00 per.

Brian Ellis
7-Aug-2011, 09:09
I have the Giotto Rocket Air Blaster. I don't use it. Calling it a "rocket blaster" is a triumph of marketing hype. I've seen many little hand-held air blowers that put out as much air and do as much as the Rocket Air Blaster, which isn't much.

To remove light dust particles I just breathe hard on lenses, filters,etc. after making sure no spittle comes out. My breath costs nothing and is with me at all times. I've seen a theory propounded to the effect that there's something in your breath that's supposed to be harmful to lenses or lens coatings or something like that but since I've never seen any problems from doing what I've been doing for many years I just continue with it.

Jim Noel
7-Aug-2011, 09:11
Cheapest, safest and best is to use activated charcoal on a Q-ti in circles from center out. The lens will sparkle. NO liquids to worry about and a much cleaner lens.
Activated charcoal is obtained as a digestion additive from health food stores. Open one or two of the capsules into a 35 mm film canister, or similar. Dip Q-tip in and knock off all excess then lightly clean lens in circles. You will be amazed at how much the lens will sparkle.

Ivan J. Eberle
7-Aug-2011, 09:27
For years I carried a $3 Radio Shack desoldering bulb as a blower. Worked great. But now I use a couple of the Giottos Rocket Blowers. They're bulkier, but easily found in camera stores and are actually rather handy. One reason is that there's a valve on the back so multiple "puffs" are easy, without sucking back in the same dusty air you just blew away. Another is the long plastic tip gets inside bellows, recessed rear lens elements of teles and inside deep lens hoods. Third is that the rocket fins actually serve a purpose-- to keep it standing upright and the tip out of the dirt or from scratching negs on a light table (Makes it a fun conversation starter, too.)

Rider
10-Aug-2011, 07:33
Cheapest, safest and best is to use activated charcoal on a Q-ti in circles from center out. The lens will sparkle. NO liquids to worry about and a much cleaner lens.
Activated charcoal is obtained as a digestion additive from health food stores. Open one or two of the capsules into a 35 mm film canister, or similar. Dip Q-tip in and knock off all excess then lightly clean lens in circles. You will be amazed at how much the lens will sparkle.

Are you serious about this? I've seen praise for ROR, but no one has recommended Alka seltzer before.

maciekz
15-Aug-2011, 10:40
The Rocket works very well for cameras, as it can reach the parts which are "around the corner", but otherwise is just a blower. For lenses or filters it works just as well as the cheapest one you could get, i.e. some fluid is still needed for stuck dirt.

jk0592
15-Aug-2011, 14:42
I always found it better to blow dust away with a blower, then use a brush to remove more stubborn particles, and only after this to use lens cleaning fluid and paper.
The Giotto Rocket is an OK blower, performs its job quite well. It is not to be confused with similar named Giotto Rocket espresso machine...

Peter De Smidt
15-Aug-2011, 15:08
The main things it to never drag hard particles across the glass. Reusing a cleaning material is a very bad idea, since eventually it'll pick something up than can scratch the lens. As a result, keep your lens clean by using a soft and clean brush or blowing the specs of dust off of it, and only use liquid cleaner if you really, really have to. If you need to wet clean, get some lens cleaning paper. (Never rub it dry against the glass!) Roll it up in a tube. Now tear it in half. That is your brush. Place a drop of lens cleaning fluid on the torn edge, and lightly move it across the glass, turning to expose a new part of the brush. After one swipe, use the other half the paper. Make new 'brushes' as needed.

Rider
21-Aug-2011, 15:27
I can't speak for he air blaster, but I have used lens pens for a few years now with total satisfaction. Brush the dust away with the very gentle slide out bristles and then use the soft pad at the other end to clean any finger prints, etc. I have three in different kit bags. Cost is around $11.00 per.

I tried a Lens Pen. It worked the first couple of times, but now it no longer removes smudges.

John Kasaian
21-Aug-2011, 17:13
I used vodka once. It worked OK.

Frank Petronio
21-Aug-2011, 17:23
Lens pens are great when they are new, but probably detrimental after the first dozen or so "cleanings". But they do work well, especially for greasy smudges that you can't blow or brush off.

In general the best thing is not to clean your lenses, most people over-clean and mess up the coatings. I don't want to use filters unless I am in a harsh environment, like the beach... but a nice screw-in Heavystar $9 metal hood, even if not 100% view camera kosher, helps keep a lot of dust from ever falling on the front element. And should you even ding or drop the lens, that metal hood may absorb the brunt of the injury instead of the front element.

I haven't used lens tissue and lens cleaner in many years. If a fresh lens pen won't clean it off, then you have issues...