PDA

View Full Version : Historic Cameras, Holders

Two23
4-Aug-2011, 14:08
Since buying a Chamonix 4x5 recently, I've decided against getting one of the very pretty English field cameras such as TP Royal Ruby or Lancaster Instantography etc. The reason is that really, they look and work very much like the Chamonix! I'm thinking I'd rather get one of the classic English tailboard cameras in half plate. I can use 4x5 film in the plate holders.

Now for my question. Most of these cameras seem to be selling with no holders. I've been leery of that. My thinking is that nothing was standardized and I might not be able to buy just any old half plate holders and have them work. The outside dimensions might be different, as might be the distance the film is held. I'm thinking I will be better off buying a camera that includes some holders with it. Am I being overly cautious, or smart? I'm wanting a camera I can go out and shoot.

Kent in SD

Two23
4-Aug-2011, 14:40
PS - When buying mine I thought I was getting a half plate. After it was received I then learned it was a 5x4. What luck, ehh.

I've been watching cameras for sale for several months now and have come to the conclusion that at least a third of the sellers have NO clue what they have. That scares me. :eek: The sellers in England often seem to have more of a clue, but the shipping costs are making me swallow hard.

Kent in SD