PDA

View Full Version : Lenses for 6x9 and 5x4

Mark Elmer
31-Jul-2011, 15:06
Hi There
I'm getting back to film - and want to print 6x9 and 4x5 negs on my De-Vere 504. Can anybody advise on the best focal length enlarger lens for my needs (will 100mm cover both formats?):) :o .
Thanks
Mark

Jim Jones
31-Jul-2011, 15:28
A 90mm lens is commonly used for 6x9cm film, and a 135mm for 4x5". Few 100mm enlarging lenses are designed for 4x5 film. A 135mm lens would work for both if the enlarging head can be raised high enough for the desired image size from 6x9 film. I'm not familiar with the De-Vere enlarger, but changing the focal length of the enlarging lens changing or adjusting the condenser lenses in some enlargers.

ic-racer
31-Jul-2011, 19:12
For 6x9 you would want a minimum of 105mm or so (same as the diagonal of the format) With 4x5, it turns out that many 135mm lenses out there will cover, though 150mm is the standard lens for that format.

Depending on how big you want to make your 6x9 images, you could get a 135mm and use for both.

aduncanson
31-Jul-2011, 20:37
When first setting up my LF darkroom decades ago when good enlarging lenses still fetched a high price I bought a pricey 120mm/5.6 Rodagon WA to cover both 4x5 & 6x9 formats. Although I now also have a 105mm Nikkor and a 150mm Componon-S, the Rodagon WA is still my first choice for both formats. The problem is that the max print magnification I can achieve with my Omega D2 (97cm max from easel to negative stage) is about 5.9:1 or 13x19 inches from a 6x9 neg. That is usually large enough for me. At that magnification the Rodagon WA is just getting into its optimal magnification range.

Allen in Montreal
1-Aug-2011, 20:09
Mark,

For several years the only lens I had and used was a 135 Componon-S, for both 6x9 and 4x5 and it work very well.

If you get a good 135 in the short term, you are good to go, and then slowly scour for the best scenario lenses for both formats.

The Apo Rodagon N 105mm is a killer sharp lens for 6x7 and 6x9.

There are a ton of process Rodagons with a red line around them being sold on the evil as enlarging lenses, they are not, they are process lenses.
Bob Salomon, here on the forum, is very good about setting the record straight on misrepresented Rodenstock gear, ask him if you are not sure.

If enlarger height is not an issue go for the 150 for 4x5.

I also have the 120 WA that aduncanson is referring to, and he is right, it is a very sharp lens. Hard to find, but well worth it if you can get one at a decent price.

Mark Elmer
2-Aug-2011, 05:28
Hi Guys
Thanks very much for your advice on enlarger lenses. The De-Vere 504 has a max height of 44" , so i guess i could get away with the 135mm for both formats. Like all technical issues we have the theory and the practice - I guess it's a question of finding a suitable lens which gives the results I desire.:) :confused:
Regards
Mark