PDA

View Full Version : New Arrival: Aztek Touchscan Scanner-Printer in One Machine!

Findingmyway4ever
26-Jul-2011, 12:02
Just got this in my inbox and for $5500, it looks like a very good deal, scanner/printer quality obviously questionable. I know many will argue the drum scanner will do a superior job, or a particular printer will be superior, but if this all in one product can do "nearly indistinguishable" results, it seems like a winner...especially if the women in the marketing element of it are included:) Maybe they can at least drop by and teach the buyers how to touch the right buttons;) Stupid comments aside, this does look promising, and though it hurts to mention his name, it would be nice to have Ted around still to have a go with this machine. Maybe Lenny can swing on down and get the rundown on it hands on.

Link:

http://aztek.com/touch%20scan.html

bob carnie
26-Jul-2011, 12:11
This looks like a nice scanner for flat artwork, not sure how it stacks up to an Uberscanner.
this is not a film / trans scanner or at least dosen't look like one to me.

Jim Michael
26-Jul-2011, 12:13
I don't get it. This looks like reflection technology so wouldn't appear to be useful for negatives. Also, looks like some type of feed mechanism which would appear to be a risk for 'fine art'.

cps
26-Jul-2011, 13:47
Here is a little video they put up on Youtube. Explains a little more clearly what these products are, and what they are for...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R6sEyik3dM

Definitely not a transparency scanner.

Noah A
27-Jul-2011, 04:38
Aztek is truly a great outfit. My Howtek scanner died a few weeks ago and they have been amazingly helpful with advice on getting it going again. This after I told them I didn't have the cash to send it to them right now so they're getting no financial gain.

But this particular machine seems targeted towards uses other than photography. I'm sure it's great for its intended purpose of document scanning. I suppose if you shoot ULF and want to scan contact prints, it might be a good solution.

Findingmyway4ever
28-Jul-2011, 19:27
Yeah...uhhh...I was meaning it would be great for graphics artists;). Boy do I feel :confused: :confused: :confused: now. Sorry for the post. My thinking was Aztek, drum scanners, new age type techno device that would be able to handle all types of media including film. Oh well. At least it looks like it will serve an interesting niche for those involved in this area of business.

Lenny Eiger
28-Jul-2011, 21:20
I had occasion to use this device. I had a very old architectural drawing to reproduce. They ran it thru this device and gave me a huge file... After a lot of spotting and repairing, I made a 6 foot tall print of it...in b&w. It was beautiful....

The architect was amazing. I noticed a moire pattern drawn in a window with a screen and I thought the scanner had done something incorrect... until I looked again at the drawing and the guy had actually drawn that pattern so it would look like a screen...

Not, its not for film. But what it does it does very nicely...

Lenny