PDA

View Full Version : New Posts

Tony Evans
22-Jul-2011, 19:55
Why do my New Posts, frequently not show up in "New Posts"?

Vaughn
22-Jul-2011, 19:57
Because you looked at them already (so they are no longer "new"), or have clicked on "Mark Forums Read"?

Ken Lee
22-Jul-2011, 20:13
I have also noticed an occasional failure of my own threads to appear there also, even though I have not viewed them except when creating them.

This happens on an inconsistent basis. I figure it's a minor bug in the software, hard to reproduce.

It has either been fixed in a later release of the software (which we don't have), or has been assigned a low priority by the Quality Assurance team.

Sal Santamaura
23-Jul-2011, 11:48
...It has either been fixed in a later release of the software (which we don't have), or has been assigned a low priority by the Quality Assurance team.Any idea if/when the QA team will be addressing this vBulletin version's incompatibility with IE9, either by migrating to a later release or patching the code? Unified View and New Posts only occasionally work in IE9. There's an entire thread on it:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=73597

Tony Evans
30-Nov-2011, 11:44
Almost a year later and my posts still show up in Unified View only. Not New Posts. What gives?

Tony Evans
30-Nov-2011, 11:45
See!

BrianShaw
30-Nov-2011, 11:45
Maybe the software think you already saw your post when you wrote it.

Tony Evans
1-Dec-2011, 08:55
Test.

rdenney
1-Dec-2011, 09:26
Almost a year later and my posts still show up in Unified View only. Not New Posts. What gives?

I see your posts in New Posts. That's where I found this one.

I suspect the software thinks you don't need to see your own post again until someone responds to it. It will appear in Unified View, which does not filter on unread posts the way New Posts does.

Rick "whose fresh posts do not show up in New Posts, either, until someone responds to them" Denney

Tony Evans
2-Dec-2011, 09:10
Rick,
Thanks again for the explanation. Seems strange behaviour.

Ralph Barker
3-Dec-2011, 07:44
Brian's and Rick's explanations are correct.

Leigh
3-Dec-2011, 17:11
Brian's and Rick's explanations are correct.
The explanations are correct...

... but the implementation is not.

This omission is based on the brain-dead assumption that a viewer will never want to re-visit a thread until another post has been added.

There are innumerable reasons why someone might want to revisit, such as
1) Did not read the entire thread and want to finish.
2) Did not understand a comment and left the thread to research the subject.
3) Decided to post a reply.
4) Want to edit a recent reply.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

If you show those threads in the New Posts list, but in normal font rather than boldface, it would completely eliminate the problem.

- Leigh

BrianShaw
3-Dec-2011, 19:29
I'm glad I read your post in its entirety before typing. For a split second I thought you were calling Rick and me 'brain-dead". Ha ha ha ha!

Leigh
3-Dec-2011, 22:18
For a split second I thought you were calling Rick and me 'brain-dead".
No, Brian. Definitely not.

My comments were directed at the individual who made the decision regarding the bbs setup.

- Leigh

Barry Kirsten
4-Dec-2011, 00:46
Rick "whose fresh posts do not show up in New Posts, either, until someone responds to them" Denney

Might this explain why counts are not always accurate, or is this a separate issue? (I have noticed that after some posts the count does not increase by one.)

Barry "who is not as daft as you might think" Kirsten.

(Heh heh, my one opportunity to post in Denney style! :p

Leigh
4-Dec-2011, 00:49
Hi Barry,

Posts in the For Sale and Lounge fora do not increase your post count.

There might be others that I'm not aware of.

- Leigh

Ralph Barker
4-Dec-2011, 07:15
There are always multiple perspectives on how a feature works. I would assume that vBulletin's definition of "new" (if you wrote it or have seen it, it's no longer new) is based on user/licensee input over the years.

If one wants to go back to a (partially) read thread, there is always the real forum index, the link to which is in the upper-left corner of the display.

Leigh
4-Dec-2011, 10:44
Hi Ralph,

My point is that the behavior of New Posts is user-configurable, not hard-cided AFAIK.

I'm moderator of a forum that also uses vBulletin, and our New Posts functions as I described above, with visited threads in normal font and unvisited ones in boldface. That board currently runs v.3.8.7, but the behavior is unchanged over the last six years.

Other vBulletin boards that I visit work the same.

You can use Unified View to find visited threads, but it excludes the For Sale forum. I can click on Unified View, and if the thread I'm seeking doesn't show up, I can then check the For Sale section, but why should I have to go through those gyrations?

- Leigh

rdenney
6-Dec-2011, 08:34
I'm glad I read your post in its entirety before typing. For a split second I thought you were calling Rick and me 'brain-dead". Ha ha ha ha!

Heh. We're too busy calling each other brain dead.:)

But I'm not sure it's a problem. When I make a post, the next screen I see is my post freshly attached to the end of that thread. I also back page to finish reading the thread if necessary.

And if there are pages of posts in that thread that I have not yet read, or if there were posts added while I was writing my post, it will still appear in the New Posts list. That actually confused me at first.

Rick "not really knowing how the forum software uses cookies to know what has been read" Denney

Ralph Barker
7-Dec-2011, 07:53
Hi Ralph,

My point is that the behavior of New Posts is user-configurable, not hard-cided AFAIK.

I'm moderator of a forum that also uses vBulletin, and our New Posts functions as I described above, with visited threads in normal font and unvisited ones in boldface. That board currently runs v.3.8.7, but the behavior is unchanged over the last six years.

Other vBulletin boards that I visit work the same.

You can use Unified View to find visited threads, but it excludes the For Sale forum. I can click on Unified View, and if the thread I'm seeking doesn't show up, I can then check the For Sale section, but why should I have to go through those gyrations?

- Leigh

We changed the selection criteria of Unified View a few years ago based on member input, excluding FS/WTB and the Lounge. Unified uses the "getdaily" vB function, while the New Posts link uses the "getnew" function with no parameters. The "Community" sub-forums are also blocked from search-engine spider access.