PDA

View Full Version : Cezanne question

mdala
21-Jul-2011, 18:52
Hey guys,

The Cezanne I have didn't come with the glass plate that go on top of the film (the one that is placed on top of the film and on top of the scanner's bed).

Is it safe to use a normal sheet of glass as a replacement? If not, what's the best alternative?

Thanks

MD

Bob McCarthy
21-Jul-2011, 19:24
I find the clamps very convenient. I would concider sourcing one used (likely difficult) or purchase a new one from screen. The main bed is acrylic so not too hard and easily marred by something hard like glass. Having said that a piece of antialisis might work fine if used with care.

Peter has had to do more creative mods like this. Mine came with spares and all the different bed accessories,

I was lucky,

Bob

mdala
21-Jul-2011, 19:37
Hi Bob,

thanks for the tip. I think Screen wants $600 or something like that, so, I'll pass. Can you confirm if the small glass tray has a texture on it? Or is it as smooth and transparent as normal glass? Also, where can I find the antialisis material you mentioned?

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, the tray in question is the small one with two handles, on top of the film: http://www.projectbasho.org/img/cezanne01.jpg

Thank you!

MD

Peter De Smidt
21-Jul-2011, 19:59
Yes, the sheet you place on top of the negative has an anti-newton texture. A Cezanne tech told me the name of what he thinks is a good replacement. I'll look it up and let you know. You could try anti-glare plastic used for framing, but it's texture might be too coarse. The only way to know would be to try it. It's inexpensive. If you use plain glass, you might get Newton's rings, and you'd have to account for the color of the glass when scanning color materials, and as Bob has mentioned you'd want to be very careful that using it didn't scratch the bed.

Bob McCarthy
21-Jul-2011, 21:05
The small plastic tray goes across the bed and is positioned positively by handles.

Can be used to rough align the film on the bed.

$600 eh, that's a bunch, I don't want to say how many I have, but I use them to load the platen for batch processing.

Bob

Bob McCarthy
21-Jul-2011, 21:09
Since you have one (clamp), you are good to go. Remember this is an XY scanner and you can place your film anywhere on the bed to avoid a blemish on the bed or hold down clamp.

Bob

Bob McCarthy
22-Jul-2011, 01:58
Ooopps,

Wrote antiailisis, meant antinewton,

Can't spell either

Bob

mdala
23-Jul-2011, 05:48
Thanks a lot Bob and Peter.

There is something I don't quite understand though. Wouldn't adding another layer of anti newton glass mess up the quality of the scan? I mean, the scanner's bed is already a bit frosted. Sorry of this seems like a silly question.

Would a sheet of high quality anti-newton rings glass do the trick then?

Thanks

MD

Bob McCarthy
23-Jul-2011, 06:16
You have a lens in there that has an optical rating of around 5400 spi, and an autofocus system that can just nail the proper focal plane.

The system doesnt rely on depth of field to make up for tiny irregularities in manufacture. Is why they cost so much new.

Anyway, frost etc on the lamp side more or less act as a diffuser, especially if not on the film side of the clamp, it's marks , smudges, dirt, etc. on the lens side that ruin the party. Be good to your platen!

The frosting on the platen, if part of the design is welcome (antinewton), but frosting caused by poor cleaning techniques is likely damaging, especially to max spi scans.
B

mdala
23-Jul-2011, 06:22
Thanks Bob. I'll try to find a supplier for ANR glass then.

That said, if anyone here knows where those Screen trays can be bought for less than $600 a pop, I'm a taker.

Thanks

MD

Bob McCarthy
23-Jul-2011, 06:47
Peter has had to do a fair amount of discovery in this area, he may know the proper specs for AN glass appropriate for the scanner. You don't want to purchase the wrong AN glass and have the pattern show in the scans.

Bob

mdala
23-Jul-2011, 06:52
Good point Bob. How think would you say that Screen tray is? I realize how much thickness, pattern and glass color can affect scans. I'm tempted to buy the part from Screen, but I really don't want to. Peter, would you please chime in? Thank you.

Peter De Smidt
23-Jul-2011, 07:05
We're talking about the hold down tray, right?

A scanner tech (who owns a Cezanne) suggested Non Glare Acrylite P99. For example, http://www.plasticareinc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_code=P&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=I6889

It's not that expensive, and so it should be worth checking out.
I have not tried it.

Currently, I use Screen clam shell holders. I do have an optical glass tray which I made, but I have to wet-mount with it to avoid Newton's rings. Other than that, though, I don't see a quality improvement, and so I don't go to the hassle of wet-mounting any more.

If worse comes to worse, I can saw up my old scanning bed. It should work find as a hold down tray.

Bob McCarthy
23-Jul-2011, 07:08
Just to make sure we are on the same page, the plexi with handles is called a "clamp", not a tray I believe. It may change the price if the screen rep didn't understand the question. I have seen the platen called a tray in screen literature.

I know I'm grasping at straw, but it's worth mentioning. $600-700 is a bit much.

Bob

Peter De Smidt
23-Jul-2011, 07:12
The official name, as I read from Screen's manual, is "Transparent Original Retaining Plate".

The scanning bed, i.e. the part you lay film down on, is called the "Standard Tray"

Bob McCarthy
23-Jul-2011, 08:54
If the "tray" is $600-700, I would concider that a great way to refurbish a beater into a damn near new Cezanne. I would think that other than lamps, it is the only real "wear" item on a properly maintained scanner.

Bob

Peter De Smidt
23-Jul-2011, 10:11
When I checked, about 2 years ago, a new standard tray was well over $1000.

Bob McCarthy
23-Jul-2011, 19:15
That makes a lot more sense than a $700 hold down "clamp". My name btw.

It seems like the clamp plexi might be source able' and it is far less critical than bed (tray).

The tray is a fairly thick acrylic, same material that drum scanners use, I believe. I can see it being pricy in comparison.

Bob