PDA

View Full Version : Hey, You V8 'dorffers!

John Kasaian
21-Jul-2011, 10:11
How do you stow your lenses mounted on the 6"x6" boards? Niether of my Ektars (14" Commerical & 10" WF) have the clearance to ride "reversed" on board the camera. I've been using ziplock bags, which help with keeping dust & moisture at bay, but dosen't provide any cushion.

Jon Shiu
21-Jul-2011, 10:19
large calumet lens wrap is good

Jon

BarryS
21-Jul-2011, 10:21
I usually have my lenses wrapped in a jumbo-sized lens wrap and in a backpack compartment. I don't think I've ever taken more than three lenses out at one time--and generally only one or two. I'd still like to get a Deardorff to Linhof adapter board to take care of everything in a Copal 3 and smaller.

Jay DeFehr
21-Jul-2011, 11:43
Pelican case.

Ben Hopson
21-Jul-2011, 12:49
Ditto lens wraps stored in backpack.

BarryS, I use a Deardorff to Linhof adapter board and it is great for moving lenses between cameras.

BarryS
21-Jul-2011, 13:04
...I use a Deardorff to Linhof adapter board and it is great for moving lenses between cameras.

Ben-- I'd love to do that too. I paid a nut on ebay (listing as mcmch these days) for an adapter, but he delivered nothing but abuse. :confused: I checked with Richard Ritter and he wanted over $100 for a plastic adapter. There's a fancy one for $180 from attrevida on eBay. I guess I'll have to make one myself.

Jim Cole
21-Jul-2011, 13:48
John,

I use a Cabellas 6 reel (I think) case for fishing. Soft sided and holds 4 brass lenses on 6x6 boards. The dividers can be arranged as necessary. I bought that one for $15. I also have a 4 lens case by Photobackpacker that holds 4 of my more modern lenses on 6x6 boards that fits into their backback.

John Kasaian
21-Jul-2011, 14:08
Thanks Jim, I'll check out the Cabelas on the next trip to Reno and see if they have anything that will fit one or two lenses.

S. Preston Jones
21-Jul-2011, 14:54
Since I also use a 4x5/5x7 Deardorff, I have put all my view camera lenses on 4x4 Deardorff boards and had adaptor boards made for all my other view cameras. I have even mounted #5 shutters to the 4x4 boards. I put a spacer between the shutter and the board to give needed clearance. Save my back and packing space.

Preston

johnielvis
21-Jul-2011, 15:00
you may try taking the back off and putting the lens in a soft wrap cloth and stowing it with the board resting on the bellows/front standard from inside--then you get the front clearance increased by the thickness of the standard--I do this with my zone6 a lot--if you got gg breaking fears, you can put foamboard on the inside of the gg to spread the load but I 've found that not necessary. zone 6 I think is thicker folded than deardorff though...but you do get that extra clearance.

Ben Hopson
21-Jul-2011, 15:58
Ben-- I'd love to do that too. I paid a nut on ebay (listing as mcmch these days) for an adapter, but he delivered nothing but abuse. :confused: I checked with Richard Ritter and he wanted over $100 for a plastic adapter. There's a fancy one for $180 from attrevida on eBay. I guess I'll have to make one myself.

Barry, I made my adapter board. If you have the time, you can save a lot of $'s. I had just made several lens boards and decided to use one to make an adapter. I also made the metal parts, but I think you can buy those pretty reasonably if you want to save some time and effort. After going through the process of building some quality 3 piece boards and the adapter, I understand why they demand the prices asked for them. It is not a quick or simple task.

This is the adapter board I made.

Lachlan 717
21-Jul-2011, 17:32
I paid a nut on ebay (listing as mcmch these days) for an adapter, but he delivered nothing but abuse.

Yeah, I, too, bought one from him (custom for my 7x17). Specified the timber finish and size.

He ended up sending me one that was meant for another buyer; totally wrong size.

He did end up sending me one "close" to the size I asked for. Trouble was, it was a) warped, b) too thin and c) made of crap ply. Useless.

As such, I would recommend staying away from this Seller's junk.

BarryS
21-Jul-2011, 18:55
Ben-- You did a nice job on that board--it looks first rate. I think I can layer some birch plywood and come up with something reasonable.

Lachlan-- I have no idea how that guy stays in business--you can tell from his eBay listing he's going to be a problem.

cyrus
21-Jul-2011, 21:25
foam cubes cut to shape

mandoman7
22-Jul-2011, 15:23
I have an adapter board that I made out 3/8" baltic plywood that works great. I'm not posting a photo because its pretty ugly, but it tests out light tight and is useful, not only for saving space, but allowing me to use different cameras with the same set of lenses. I made an adapter for my both Kodak 2d and Deardorff V8 that both use technika boards, which fit on my Chamonix 4x5 naturally, so one lens could be used on 3 different cameras, theoretically. For me this was useful as sometimes when I go to the field, I don't know whether I'm going to shoot in 8x10 or 4x5.

Dan Dozer
25-Jul-2011, 21:38
Ditto on Cabela's. I have a little larger case that holds up to 8 lenses mounted on 6 x 6 boards.

Uri A
16-Sep-2011, 21:20
Here's another vote for using 4x4 boards and an adaptor. Will seriously cut your bag size by 30-40%

Pawlowski6132
17-Sep-2011, 04:16

What kind of issues did you have?? With the eBay guy?

E. von Hoegh
19-Sep-2011, 07:18
I have a smallish soft camera bag that will hold 3 lenses between dividers, some filters, a meter, cable releases, notebook, and other impedimenta. It also (the bag) fits into the lower compartment on the converted frame pack that I use to lug the thing around in, while the camera and up to six filmholders go in the upper compartment. Lunch, water, other stuff goes in the side pouches. Tripod gets tied on the top or bottom of the pack.

BarryS
19-Sep-2011, 07:40
What kind of issues did you have?? With the eBay guy?

--He didn't deliver anything for months after full payment.

--He ignored multiple polite emails requesting an estimate of delivery.

--He unleashed a stream of foul-mouthed abuse and threats after I contacted eBay regarding his non-delivery and lack of communication.

John Kasaian
19-Sep-2011, 20:33
Zip lock bags in cardboard boxes. The 240mm G Claron, 159mm Wollensak WA, 12" Dagor & 14" APO Artar will fit reversed

Greg Y
26-Sep-2011, 07:29
I have a SK Grimes Deardorff to linhof adapter board I'm posting in the FS this morning. Photo in a while when the light hits the inside of my house. They new they are $200. Pristine condition $100 :)

Richard Rau
26-Oct-2011, 19:46
My 240 and 360 are on 6x6 boards, but the 120, 150 SW, and the 300mm Nikon Lenses are on Canham boards and I use a Canham adapter for the V8 made by Barry at Deardorff. I think he made it for me for under a $100. Nice to switch lenses from bag to bag, when I shoot 5x7 with the Canham. No issues with the Copal 3 on the 300 being on the smaller Canham board! I also use oversized Calumet Lens wraps on all the lenses.