PDA

View Full Version : LF born again . . . hopefully

Allan Braiden
20-Jul-2011, 11:59
G'day eh!

Started with the greeting we Canucks are always supposed to use.

Wondering what the viability of LF is nowadays in this digital age? I know the superiority of LF optics, etc as I pursued fine art Zone system B&W during the 90"s. I have the whole ball of wax camera, lenses, darkroom equipment, all mothballed presently, with training from Howard Bond in Ann Arbor, MI.

Thinking of getting back into the fold.

Thanks for any info and help.

AB

BarryS
20-Jul-2011, 12:04
Not only is it viable, but highly desirable! Welcome to the forum and let the unpacking commence. :cool:

Frank Petronio
20-Jul-2011, 12:36
LF Born Again?

Well if Jesus was a photographer, he surely would be using a Deardorff, a 14" Commercial Ektar, and a stack of Portra 400 right now.

Brian C. Miller
20-Jul-2011, 12:48
Oh, like, goodday, eh? I've been, like you know, brushing up on my Canadian by studying the Berlitz course taught by Bob and Doug McKenzie.

Yes, LF still rocks! Kodak dropped Techpan, but Fuji Acros 100 is nearly as good and it has fabulous reciprocity characteristics. If you shoot 8x10, then there's not so many emulsions as 4x5. Kodak 8x10 TMax 400 is a special order item now, but it looks like the next order is in September.

Get unpacking and do some enjoying! Welcome to the forum!

Andrew O'Neill
20-Jul-2011, 16:33
"How's it goin', eh?". Ya LF hoser. Still plenty of LF film out there so have at 'er. Where in Canada are you situated?

Ed Kelsey
20-Jul-2011, 16:58
LF Born Again?

Well if Jesus was a photographer, he surely would be using a Deardorff, a 14" Commercial Ektar, and a stack of Portra 400 right now.

Nah he has a medium format Hasselblad digital outfit and a Linhof 8x10 that he hardly ever uses.

John Kasaian
20-Jul-2011, 22:39
G'day eh!

Started with the greeting we Canucks are always supposed to use.

Wondering what the viability of LF is nowadays in this digital age? I know the superiority of LF optics, etc as I pursued fine art Zone system B&W during the 90"s. I have the whole ball of wax camera, lenses, darkroom equipment, all mothballed presently, with training from Howard Bond in Ann Arbor, MI.

Thinking of getting back into the fold.

Thanks for any info and help.

AB

Whats not to like?
What info and help are you looking for?
There are plenty of picture threads here for inspiration.
Get some film and have at it.;)
BTW, how does Howard Bond like being mothballed in Ann Arbor, MI? :D

Allan Braiden
25-Jul-2011, 10:01
Greetings
Thanks for responses.
Where to begin? I used to use Kodak Tri-X, was on the verge of switching to T-Max, developing in HC-110 and D76. Printed on Ilford variable contrast (with filters - love to use a variable contrast cold light source).

Do I really, really have to switch to film and paper? Gotta re-calibrate everthing again.

Thanks for any and all help.

Nathan Smith
25-Jul-2011, 10:16
Do I really, really have to switch to film and paper? Gotta re-calibrate everthing again.

Was that 'to' really supposed to be there? ... in a question to this forum?

I can understand it if you meant "switch film and paper" though

Allan Braiden
25-Jul-2011, 10:34
Yes, I meant "switch film and paper."
I sit corrected.

Thanks, AB

Brian C. Miller
25-Jul-2011, 11:40
All of the stuff you used to use is still being produced. No problem! :)