PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Service for Per Volquartz

Jim Fitzgerald
19-Jul-2011, 07:59
I have just been given the information about the service for our friend Per. Please send me an e-mail if you are able to attend so I can give Christian a head count. My e-mail is jimfitzgerald101@hotmail.com

Thank you.

Service info:

The service info is:

July 30th
2pm

Cabots and Sons
300 North Fair Oaks
Pasadena CA 91105

Hugo Zhang
20-Jul-2011, 08:00
Hi Jim,

Please put me on the list.

Thanks,
Hugo

Jim Fitzgerald
20-Jul-2011, 08:01
Thanks, Hugo

Robert Brummitt
20-Jul-2011, 10:08
I can't make it but is this address I could send a card to Per's family? Or is there another address?
Thanks
Robert B

Asher Kelman
20-Jul-2011, 11:58
I have just been given the information about the service for our friend Per. Please send me an e-mail if you are able to attend so I can give Christian a head count. My e-mail is jimfitzgerald101@hotmail.com

Thank you.

Service info:

The service info is:

July 30th
2pm

Cabots and Sons
300 North Fair Oaks
Pasadena CA 91105

Jim,

I'm so sickened and sad to hear of Per's tragic passing. I was waiting to hear from him about learning from him and seeing more of his recent work including our trip to Tonopah, ghost towns, abandoned mines and desert landscapes.

What a loss to all his family and friends! I only knew him for a short while but his generosity in courtesy and sharing was exemplary. I can see him now before me with his cane, angled at the Scheimpflug position guiding my set up to make the plane of focus work for the foreground weeds, the weathered wooden steps and the worn tattered wicker chair on the porch of an abandoned shack.

His work enthralled us: platinum prints with such deep blacks almost 3 dimensional shining from the hand rubbed wax. Most of all I will treasure the kindness he showed me and having me look forward to doing work together. What a fine man who doubtless influenced so many to do their best and pass these values on. Per's passing leaves a gap in the best we have to admire and follow for character, passion, modesty and respect.

Count me in on the service.

Asher

lilmsmaggie
20-Jul-2011, 13:06
Hi Jim,

I trust you've received my email response.

I'll be there.

Dwain

matthew blais
20-Jul-2011, 13:36
This was posted by Per's son on his Facebook page..

Hello, My name is Christian Volquartz and I am the only living child of my father Per and mother Rebecca Volquartz.

My fathers sudden passing on Sunday has left my mother and I completely devastated and heartbroken beyond words. My father was a brilliant man with many talents and touched many lives.

The outpour of phone calls and visitors from all over the world has been nothing short of amazing. Per lived his life doing exactly what he loved to do. He lived his life to the fullest no matter the obstacles he faced.

My mother and I will continue to uphold his legacy within the art community.

We are asking for private donations to help with the medical expenses and funeral arrangements. Please click on this link to donate or copy and paste it into your browser.

DONATIONS (http://tinyurl.com/3gl9bbz)

ghostcount
20-Jul-2011, 14:25
Donation sent.

Thanks Matthew.

Jim Graves
20-Jul-2011, 14:40
Matthew ... thanks for posting the Facebook post and donation link ... the LF community is a great group, I'm sure the response will be generous ... as generous as Per was with his time and help.

It always amazed me how little he charged for his workshops and how much of his time and energy and goodwill he gave for free ... helping his family now would be the best way to repay his wonderful generosity.

eddie
20-Jul-2011, 17:19
Donation sent.

Thanks Matthew.

+1

Jim Fitzgerald
20-Jul-2011, 17:28
Matt, thanks for posting this. Whatever anyone can do is appreciated.

Tri Tran
20-Jul-2011, 21:16
Hi Mat, Thanks for the link and info.

Ted Stoddard
21-Jul-2011, 12:24
I'm glad I found the info thanks Jim & Matt

Hope what I donated will be able to help

It looks like I will not be able to make it can't find a cheap enough airline ticket or bus ticket but I will be there in spirit!!

Curt
21-Jul-2011, 22:00
I'm flying down from Seattle to attend the service. For those traveling have a safe journey. A special thanks to Jim Fitzgerald for his support and work.

Curt

Jim Fitzgerald
28-Jul-2011, 07:00
I'm looking forward to meeting so many people who are coming in to attend the service. Some who I have not seen for a while and some I will be meeting for the first time. Save journey to all.

Asher Kelman
29-Jul-2011, 21:31
I'm looking forward to meeting so many people who are coming in to attend the service. Some who I have not seen for a while and some I will be meeting for the first time. Save journey to all.

Remember folk to email Matthew Blais if you are going to attend! See post #1, above!

http://www.openphotographyforums.com/2007_OPF_AK/Asher_Kelman_2007/_MG_0867ACR.jpg

The Last Workshop with Per Volquartz

Asher Kelman: Per Volquartz leading a critique of photographs

Tonopah Nevadah May 20111

A privilege to have experienced his kindness and love of everything around him.

Asher

Asher Kelman
29-Jul-2011, 21:45
Please find and share your pics of Per in a tribute here (http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=118502)

Asher

Jim Fitzgerald
29-Jul-2011, 23:24
Asher, thanks. See you tomorrow.

Tri Tran
30-Jul-2011, 10:40
Hi Jim,
So sorry that I can't make it. Please send my condolescence to Mr Volquartz's family . I just talked to Nick ut and he will be there this afternoon as well.

Jan Pietrzak
30-Jul-2011, 11:43
Today, a friend and fellow photographer is being talked about and praised by his friends. Per was a good friend, the last I saw him was in our home in Santa Fe. At a reception we had for workshop participants. I felt that Per wanted to come to New Mexico. As always he asked lots of questions. At the end, it was late and he needed to go and get some rest, he thanked us, looked around and said enjoy this and take of your health. Goodbye Per

Jan Pietrzak

Jim Graves
30-Jul-2011, 13:28
I'm headed out the door with my 8x10 ... have wanted to re-take a favorite shot originally done in medium format ... at 2:00 p.m. I'll be shooting my own personal tribute to Per.

Would rather be in Pasadena for a direct tribute but can't ... my best to Per's family and myriad friends.

Brian Ellis
30-Jul-2011, 14:18
When we were considering our move from Tampa to the Pacific Northwest I remember thinking that I'd finally have a chance to attend one of the free workshops Per used to put on. Then I got here and I was never able to attend one. So I didn't have the pleasure of meeting him but he must have been quite a person to have generated the outpouring I've seen here. I've made a small donation that I hope helps with his medical expenses.

Jim Ewins
30-Jul-2011, 22:25
Sylvia & I will be there in spirit. Per has enriched both or lives. Jim Ewins

Michael Clark
31-Jul-2011, 09:45
I attended Per Volquartz's Memorial Service,along with many other friends and students.
Christen Volquartz spoke about life with his father and showed a excellent short and informative film of Per setting up and shooting a still life in his studio,he made it look so easy and simple as only a professional could, thankyou Christen for your talk and film.

Also Jorn Volguartz Per's bother, filled us in on Pers early life in Denmark, with humor and towards the end of his talking being over taken with emotion and Love for his deceased brother.

There were also many others expressing there experience's and gratefulness they found in there Friendship with Per. Roberto, for me gave the most emotional talks during the Eulogy, there was not a dry eye in the church when he finished spelling out his emotion towards Per.

Frank Su Hnang played an exceptional piece for us on his Cello, it was very nice and set a appropriate mood for the service.

Mrs Becky Volquartz graciously,and attentively accepted our condolence's and best wish's for the future, she is a very nice lady , every time I was at Pers house I felt very comfortable as she was a fine hostess and conversationalist.

Nice meeting many new folks and old friends and family.

Mike

Stephen Lumry
31-Jul-2011, 09:56
Mike thank for your timely report on the service. I am very sorry I was unable to attend. It appears that I missed a very moving service as well as the opportunity to offer my condolences in person.

Also, thank you for the print of Per, it is in the process of getting framed. I hope there will be pictures of the service posted as well as other materials made available such as the film that was presented.

Stephen

Forrest Atkins
31-Jul-2011, 12:44
This was posted by Per's son on his Facebook page..

Hello, My name is Christian Volquartz and I am the only living child of my father Per and mother Rebecca Volquartz.

My fathers sudden passing on Sunday has left my mother and I completely devastated and heartbroken beyond words. My father was a brilliant man with many talents and touched many lives.

The outpour of phone calls and visitors from all over the world has been nothing short of amazing. Per lived his life doing exactly what he loved to do. He lived his life to the fullest no matter the obstacles he faced.

My mother and I will continue to uphold his legacy within the art community.

We are asking for private donations to help with the medical expenses and funeral arrangements. Please click on this link to donate or copy and paste it into your browser.

DONATIONS (http://tinyurl.com/3gl9bbz)

Donation sent, thanks Matt
Pic from Joshua tree 10'...Wind, rain, or snow...we gathered.

Asher Kelman
31-Jul-2011, 16:26
Donation sent, thanks Matt

An important thing for us all to do.

Donation sent,

Asher