PDA

View Full Version : Forced mobile version

verney
19-Jul-2011, 00:59
Why is mobile version of the forum forced if forum is viewed using a cell phone? It is quite annoying not being able view pictures in For Sale-messages and not being able to send PMs to sellers easily.

Roger Cole
19-Jul-2011, 01:16
My iPhone shows it normally (in fact I've been complaining about the lack of support for Tapatalk but I and the few others who seem to want such are usually shouted down.)

It looks just like on my computer, which makes it a lot less convenient really.

Ralph Barker
19-Jul-2011, 07:03
Why is mobile version of the forum forced if forum is viewed using a cell phone? It is quite annoying not being able view pictures in For Sale-messages and not being able to send PMs to sellers easily.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "forced". We run an older version of the forum software that was designed for use on Internet protocols and conventional computers. Cell phones use different communication protocols, generally intended to minimize the volume of data transfer.

Light Guru
19-Jul-2011, 08:33
My iPhone shows it normally (in fact I've been complaining about the lack of support for Tapatalk but I and the few others who seem to want such are usually shouted down.)

I would LOVE support for Taptalk.

verney
19-Jul-2011, 10:14
By forced I mean that mobile version always opens up automatically when I type forums address to my cell phone's browser. There is no way to switch to normal version when I want to do that.

Mobile version is very nice and fast for reading but it lacks features.

Ralph Barker
19-Jul-2011, 13:28
By forced I mean that mobile version always opens up automatically when I type forums address to my cell phone's browser. There is no way to switch to normal version when I want to do that.

Mobile version is very nice and fast for reading but it lacks features.

If you can see the blue navigation bar in your display, try clicking on "My Settings" and then on the "Edit Options" item in the menu. Scroll down to the "skin" option, and try selecting the default skin.

Roger Cole
19-Jul-2011, 14:09
I at least didn't even know there was a mobile version. I get that with some sites, with a link to go to full version, but not this one.

verney
19-Jul-2011, 20:27
There is no navigation bar. There is UserCP with some settings behind it but no skin-options.

Dcohio
20-Jul-2011, 09:05
I would love the option to go to full site from my cell. I visit this site way too much while I'm supposed to be working and it would be nice to see pics while I'm breaking the law.

captivelight
20-Jul-2011, 18:51
The full site works fine on my iphone using plain old safari. Sometimes I'll have to tap a button twice, if it's a drop-down, to get it to work, but other than that minor issue I'm very happy with the site.

cosseboom
21-Jul-2011, 11:19

I assume you are using an Android phone because I had the same problem. What you can do is go into your browser, press the menu button and go into settings. Scroll down and uncheck the "Enable mobile versions of websites" checkbox. This change will allow your phone to see the normal version instead of automatically grabbing the mobile version off of the server.

Valdecus
21-Jul-2011, 12:07
Here's another vote for Tapatalk -- please!!!

Jehu
21-Jul-2011, 18:23
Here's another vote for Tapatalk -- please!!!

+1

verney
21-Jul-2011, 21:48
I assume you are using an Android phone because I had the same problem. What you can do is go into your browser, press the menu button and go into settings. Scroll down and uncheck the "Enable mobile versions of websites" checkbox. This change will allow your phone to see the normal version instead of automatically grabbing the mobile version off of the server.
I am using a Nokia N900. Unfortunately my browser doesn't have that option.