PDA

View Full Version : Rest in Peace...Per Volquartz 1947-2011

matthew blais
17-Jul-2011, 07:43
My friend and mentor, Per Volquartz passed away this morning due to several complications from a kidney infection. He fought the fight...

Per was responsible for bringing many photo and LF enthusiasts together for the last 10 years, offering free Workshop/Get Togethers at various locations. Myself and others benefited through his gracious ability to share not only his knowledge and love of photography and art, but his friendship.

He will be missed by many...

cdholden
17-Jul-2011, 07:48
He will live on through his work and those who he inspired.
I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but enjoyed his work. It inspires me every time I compose a landscape on the ground glass... right side up or upside down. He will be missed by many.
Rest in peace, Per.

cowanw
17-Jul-2011, 07:49
47 years in LF.
Thank you for the notice
Sadly missed I am sure

RPippin
17-Jul-2011, 07:57
I had the good fortune to attend one of his one week workshops at his home. I feel very fortunate to have had that time with him. Matt, I can only imagine the personal loss you must feel. Keith, Diwan and I are grieving over the loss, we were all together yesterday remembering our time spent with him and looking forward to spending more. He was a great man and easy company to be in.

gphoto120
17-Jul-2011, 08:03
This is really such a sad post to read. I took a one day workshop last December with Per. He was such a wonderful person and teacher, and always in good humor. He will be missed by so many of us........Such a wonderful soul.

Jim Fitzgerald
17-Jul-2011, 08:28
Matt and I got to see Per at the hospital on Thursday last week. The drugs had him in good spirits. We laughed and had a great visit with Per who was his wonderful self.
Per was a dear friend, mentor, amazing photographer and printer. We traded ideas and I taught him carbon printing in a one day marathon at his house. A day I will never forget. He told me " carbon is where it's at man!" My best to his family. They are in my prayers.

Greg Lockrey
17-Jul-2011, 08:34
Oh no..... He was one of the good ones.

bob carnie
17-Jul-2011, 08:36
Very sad news, I understand he was a great teacher, very giving.

J.B. Harlin
17-Jul-2011, 08:57
Deepest sympathy to his family and the LF community. . .

Sirius Glass
17-Jul-2011, 09:00
I only spent a few times with Per, but I learned many things. Some of these things I am still working on.

I already miss him.

Kirk Gittings
17-Jul-2011, 09:04
Very sorry to hear that. I never met him, but people I know who knew him thought very highly of him. He was certainly a great photographer. From all reports a great guy too-the whole package.

Bill Burk
17-Jul-2011, 09:05
Very sorry to hear, my heart goes out to his family, friends and students.

Sirius Glass
17-Jul-2011, 09:10
Is there a way to pass these condolences on to his wife from the website?

matthew blais
17-Jul-2011, 09:12
Is there a way to pass these condolences on to his wife from the website?

I will gladly let her know the LF community extends it's sympathy and condolences.
Thank you all...

dsim
17-Jul-2011, 09:18
Per produced a memorable body of incomparable statuesque images. A tremendous talent. He will be missed.

Condolences to the family and the LF community.

MIke Sherck
17-Jul-2011, 09:18
Very sad to hear it. I never met him but he was much loved, had to have been one of the good ones.

Mike

ghostcount
17-Jul-2011, 09:27
He enjoyed life and respected everyone. He touched a lot of souls and I am happy he grazed mine. I'll never forget this man.

BrianShaw
17-Jul-2011, 09:32
Very sad news. Sympathy and condolences to the LF community and his family. He will be missed.

Jay DeFehr
17-Jul-2011, 09:38
I'm sorry I never met Per, and won't, and I'm sorry for those who did and will miss him.

John Kasaian
17-Jul-2011, 09:38
Sad news! My condolences to his family. He's an all too rare these days gentleman and I'll miss him.

Michael Gordon
17-Jul-2011, 09:40
Per was a kind soul. May he forever rest in peace and be always blessed with good light.

Robert Brummitt
17-Jul-2011, 09:45
I was sadden by the news. I enjoyed reading what Per's had to share. He was a great contributor to this site and others. He was a fine photographer. He will be missed.
:( :confused: :(

matthew blais
17-Jul-2011, 09:48
In the event anyone here wishes to send a card or other condolence gesture, his address is:

1030 S. Pasadena Ave
Pasadena CA 91105

His wife is Becky and son is Christian

resummerfield
17-Jul-2011, 09:48
Very, very sad news. RIP Per.

Brian K
17-Jul-2011, 09:51
I am so sorry to hear of his passing. I met him at one of his free workshop/get togethers at Joshua Tree NP. He was very generous with his time and knowledge.

eddie
17-Jul-2011, 09:59
OH NO! my condolences to the family.

i just met per at jim galli's workshop in may. it was great to talk with him. i was SO looking forward to our next meetings.

now i am sad. :(

eddie

Kimberly Anderson
17-Jul-2011, 10:08
A sad day. I will look up to Per and his work for a long time.

Jim Galli
17-Jul-2011, 10:08
My life was incomparably richened by this friend. What a tremendous loss. He was indeed, one of the most gracious men I have met. A friend to all.

Merg Ross
17-Jul-2011, 10:09
Very sorry to hear the news. My sympathy and condolences to his family.

Per and I corresponded, although we never met. His talent, passion and contributions will be sadly missed. Per had the unselfish quality of sharing his vast knowledge.

Bill_1856
17-Jul-2011, 10:11
Oh no..... He was one of the good ones.

Agreed -- indeed he was! (I always thought he was much older than that.)

Mark Woods
17-Jul-2011, 10:18
I'm stunned. I live a few blocks from him and had no idea anything was wrong. Amazing talented person.

Jim Fitzgerald
17-Jul-2011, 10:39
Mark, it was a sudden thing. Matt and I saw him on Thursday and he seemed to be in great spirits. Kind of still in shock.

al olson
17-Jul-2011, 10:55
Shocking news. I only recently met Per at the Tonopah Temptation in May. A very gracious gentleman who was always patient and helpful to we lesser talents. I was looking forward to seeing him again at another Tonopah workshop. A very sad day, we will miss him.

David Karp
17-Jul-2011, 11:01
Too young. To his family and all who knew him, please accept my condolences.

Hugo Zhang
17-Jul-2011, 11:03
Oh, how terrible! I have known Per for many years and he is such a wonderful and gracious man, very kind with his knowledge. I even planned to take his private printing workshop one of these days.

He will be greatly missed and will always be living in my heart with his beautifully crafted prints!

Hugo

gary892
17-Jul-2011, 11:12
I met Per 5 years ago at one of the Joshua Tree workshops. He was very gracious and forthcoming with his knowledge and offered encouragement during critiques.

Because of his openness and welcoming approach, I made a point of attending each and every Joshua Tree workshop there after.

I have been involved in Large Format Photography for over 36 years and have only met a hand full of people of his high caliber.

I personally will miss him and his friendly approach. The photographic community is diminished by his passing.

Rest in peace my friend.

Gary

Mark Woods
17-Jul-2011, 11:19
I think I was at the workshop that Per and Jim Fitzgerald gave where Per learned more about Carbon Printing. It was a great gathering of a small group of totally dedicated LF photographers. Jim and I became good friends out of that workshop. I had met Per a number of years earlier when I bought a 5x7 Sinar back from him. I'll never forget his energy and spirit as he drove up to my house and dropped it off. Amazing guy!

Jim Fitzgerald
17-Jul-2011, 11:26
Mark, I was going to give Per a "refresher" on carbon printing but we never found the time. Per saw where I was headed and encouraged me every step of the way. Yes, an amazing guy! A tough loss for all of us.

Mark Carstens
17-Jul-2011, 11:35
I attended my first workshop with Per back in 2003 when I had just began shooting with LF. He became a great mentor, friend and an inspiration to me. Words cannot express how much I will miss him.

~Mark

Kerik Kouklis
17-Jul-2011, 11:38
Very sad news, indeed. This should remind us all how fragile life is.

Rest in peace, Per.

Heroique
17-Jul-2011, 11:58
Thank you Per, we’ll miss you, but not the spirit you left behind.

Ted Stoddard
17-Jul-2011, 12:09
After spending a few weeks with him and his wife at their house in May after the Tonopah get together and helping me create some amazing images it's so sad to see him go he has taught me so much over the years and always made me think more like a master than as a student! He always told me that life can be fun if you do the photography you were meant to do! Even after I got really sick the last few days I was there he told me "You look like hell man go back to bed" He treated me like family not just a student, he was my mentor/friend and all around teacher! He will be dearly missed by me and never far from my thoughts! Knowing him has made my life a better one and a much better photographer & teacher!!! RIP Per I love and miss you a great deal!!!! Send us the best light from above!

Stephen Lumry
17-Jul-2011, 12:18
Such a loss for photography, our community and his family. He was such a mentor to so many, I will miss his workshops and his Zen way of teaching.

Brian Vuillemenot
17-Jul-2011, 14:23
So sorry to hear- what a huge loss to the LF community. Per was a generous, thoughtful person and a great photographer as well. Memories of photographing with Per in Bodie and the Alabama Hills will always have a special place in my heart.

Michael Clark
17-Jul-2011, 14:48
I'll miss him greatly, and his workshops.

Mike

jwaddison
17-Jul-2011, 14:51
I took a workshop with Per in Vancouver some years ago, and found him to be a generous and talented teacher as well as a wonderful photographer. He will, as others have said, be greatly missed. My heartfelt condolences to his family.

Michael Clark
17-Jul-2011, 15:00
Per on the way back from the 5 Church s work shop,just used his cane as a mono pod for my 4x5 speed graphic.

Daniel Stone
17-Jul-2011, 15:29
I saw Per at the Pasadena camera show last month(April), and he looked "normal" to me. I never knew he had health issues.

I still remember selling him some film and chemicals on my 3rd day after starting at Samy's in Pasadena back in 2007. He was very gracious to a ham-fisted clerk(me ;)) who didn't know the "ins and outs" of the computer software, and I accidentally double-charged him. Oops! He was cool about it though, and didn't bite my head off like most of the other 10 people waiting behind him(it was 3 days before Christmas).

I'll always remember that, the few times he and I spoke while I worked there and after I left, he was always a gracious, kind man who WANTED to see my prints, and helped me technically and artistically to better my work. Very gracious man

Thank you Per! You will NOT be forgotten!

-Dan

ghostcount
17-Jul-2011, 15:35
Mike, I think you meant cane. He used that thing to compose on potential shots and predict where the shadows will be when the sun moves.

Man - we lost a great teacher today.

jayabbas
17-Jul-2011, 17:48
My sympathies to his family at this time -- I like his photography.

Vaughn
17-Jul-2011, 19:03
I met him once when he brought a workshop in my direction. A fine man, RIP

Vaughn

Bob Sawin
17-Jul-2011, 19:36
I attended his workshop in the Olympic mountains a few years ago. Per was an energetic, enthusiastic force. He leaves an amazing legacy as an artist and as a human being.

Rest well, Per.

Bob

Curt
17-Jul-2011, 19:50
There aren't enough words to express my sadness on the loss of Per. He was a splendid human being, generous, kind, and an example to all. Every time I'm in the darkroom or behind the camera he will be there in my thoughts.

Curt

Photo taken with my iPhone at the mining museum in Tonopah Nevada.

JR Steel
17-Jul-2011, 19:51
To know him was to love him. Last time I saw him, he told me the cane was just a prop to gain sympathy. :D

Will miss him.

Jim

Michael Kadillak
17-Jul-2011, 19:57
What a shame. Every comment I had read about Per had something to do about what he gave back to large format. He left us much to young. It teaches is that life is precious and each day is a gift to be used doing your best.

sanking
17-Jul-2011, 20:03
There aren't enough words to express my sadness on the loss of Per. He was a splendid human being, generous, kind, and an example to all. Every time I'm in the darkroom or behind the camera he will be there in my thoughts.

Curt

Thanks for posting the image. I never met Per, but the image you posted is one that I will remember a long time as it captures the generosity and kindness you and others saw in him.

My condolences to his family, and to his friends.

Sandy King

Andrew O'Neill
17-Jul-2011, 20:23
Was fortunate to have met him. Enjoyed all his photo related stores.

ghostcount
17-Jul-2011, 20:31
Here's Per on one of Eddie's workshop in Tonopah last May.

Jim Galli
17-Jul-2011, 20:37
http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/2011Workshop/PerVolquartzMay2011.jpg
monte cristo castle, tonopah workshop, may 2011

ghostcount
17-Jul-2011, 20:39

That's how I remember him - always looking.

Thanks Mr. G.

Tri Tran
17-Jul-2011, 20:53
I have never met Per before but heard a lot a good things about him. An exceptionaly dedicated photographer and photography instructor. A big loss to our LF community and we will miss you. I will pray for your journey .

PS: Thanks Mat & Jim for letting me know about him.

Jim Graves
17-Jul-2011, 21:06
Oh no! This is a huge loss. I took 4 workshops with Per ... and had to cancel my 1-on-1 "internship" last summer because of my wife's illness.

The goal of that internship was not to learn printing or technique but to move around with Per to attempt to see how he saw ... to spend a week going to inauspicious places looking for photographs ... to try to learn something about how he viewed his surroundings. I always thought he had an extraordinary sense of "seeing" and I wanted to try to get some little bit of insight into how he did it.

He was such a gracious teacher and critic ... he inspired by his commitment to the craft and to the image ... and he did it without ego.

I am so happy for him that his work had so recently received so much critical and financial success in his trips to China.

I'll keep a special sense in my viewing when I'm out shooting because of his influence.

Here's a portrait ... very soft-focus ... the only one I've taken of Per ... so it should go here ... somehow the very soft-focus seems most appropriate now:
http://home.comcast.net/~mary.j.graves/Tonopah%20Per%27s%20Portrait.jpg

Jim Fitzgerald
17-Jul-2011, 21:42
Jim, well said. Nice image of Per. Very well done.

JMB
17-Jul-2011, 23:04
I am stunned by the news of Per's death. He was a good friend and mentor. We corresponded last week, and we planned to meet again in August. He was totally silent about any critical health problems. Per taught me how to develop film, and he always amazed me with his ability to work tirelessly in the darkroom. It seemed to me that deep concentration and the anticipation of a new image were enough to power Per forward late into the night. I still can't believe this --a sad day for me and photography. God Bless you Per.

PViapiano
18-Jul-2011, 00:19
I just got home from a long day at work and saw the threads here and on APUG. I just can't believe our friend is gone...

I met Per almost 5 years ago during a Joshua Tree get together. He was an amazing teacher, friend, artist and mentor. He always had an encouraging word and always gave of himself. He was also my neighbor, living only 15 minutes away and his door was always open. His printing parties at Christmas always filled his house with dozens of people...Jim Fitzgerald would be in one room printing carbon, while Tori Nelson, Matt Blais or Dan Dozer would be making platinum prints in another, Domenico Foschi would bring an incredible frittata for everyone to nibble on, everyone would bring their latest prints to show...it was unlike any gathering I've ever seen. All the photographers that I have met in Southern California, I met through Per. I will miss him immensely...this hole in all of his friends lives will never be filled. He was that special...

lab black
18-Jul-2011, 02:31
...Per was the one who showed us the way. The world has lost a visionary.
With deepest sympathies.
-
-

leighmarrin
18-Jul-2011, 03:45
I'm saddened to hear about Per Volquartz... I've seen his work online and regret that I never met him... but his spirit and Art live on.

To quote Dylan Thomas, "Though they sink through the sea they shall Rise Again...", from Death Shall Have No Dominion.

(Thomas' own reading can be heard at: http://plexipages.com/reflections/nodomin.wav )

Emil Schildt
18-Jul-2011, 07:22
Oh My. This is the saddest news in a long time for me.

I never met Per in person -he missed the APUG meeting a couple of years ago, here in Denmark.

But we had plans of meeting in january next year where he planned a big exhibition here...

We "talked" quite a lot on facebook chat, and I am really going to miss him. He was so full of respect and humor - the fact we never met seemed unimportant for those talks. I was hounored he wanted to use time with me.

Hvil i Fred, kære Per.

julia brandreth
18-Jul-2011, 08:05
I met Per three years ago at a small workshop he gave at Sidestreets, an artist based non-profit in Pasadena. The workshop was lighting for painters who wanted to document their work using simple cameras. A 'painter' friend of mine was in town so I invited her to the workshop. I was immediately struck by Per's generous and kind nature and his ability to connect with everyone and share knowledge.
I took one of his private printing workshop and it blew my mind, completely changed the way I worked and thought about making work.
We became friends and when, last year I lost my darkroom Per made his available to me whenever he could. Which was not so often, :) he worked tirelessly.
I attended a number of his 'in the field' workshops and there are countless times of truly inspiring moments with him when my mind and eyes would open wide to the world.
He was a good friend and an amazing teacher and mentor. I will miss him, I do miss him. Per's passing is a huge loss to the photographic world.
My condolences to Becky, Christian and to his close friends of which there are many.

Dorothy Blum Cooper
18-Jul-2011, 08:06
I missed the chance to attend one of Per's workshops a few years ago where he and Jim Galli were offering their talents. I wasn't able to make it...my loss. Rest in peace, sir. Thoughts and prayers to Per's family. He will be missed.

D-

Brian C. Miller
18-Jul-2011, 08:22
As the image is fleeting, so is life itself.

My condolences to his family.

lilmsmaggie
18-Jul-2011, 08:30
I first met Per in July of 2010. I was a LF newbie, a wannabe. Eager and excited. From the moment I saw Per, I knew I had met someone special. Artistically astute, generous, warm, jovial and patient. That first week with Per was a whirlwind of activity punctuated with humor and light-heartedness. I leaned more about photography in that one week, than I had learned in an entire semester of college.

Once smitten by him, I knew I had to come back even before that week was over.

In February or this year, I spent another wonderful week with Per and his wife Becky learning and attempting to absorb some photographic wisdom from a man that I was fortunate enough to spend a few precious moments in his presence. I was so looking forward to seeing him again in Santa Fe, Pasadena or anywhere for that matter.

We've lost a very special creative soul but his legacy will endure in our hearts and in our memories.

Dwain

lilmsmaggie
18-Jul-2011, 08:33
This is a very nice portrait Jim. I'd like to get a copy if possible.

Oh no! This is a huge loss. I took 4 workshops with Per ... and had to cancel my 1-on-1 "internship" last summer because of my wife's illness.

The goal of that internship was not to learn printing or technique but to move around with Per to attempt to see how he saw ... to spend a week going to inauspicious places looking for photographs ... to try to learn something about how he viewed his surroundings. I always thought he had an extraordinary sense of "seeing" and I wanted to try to get some little bit of insight into how he did it.

He was such a gracious teacher and critic ... he inspired by his commitment to the craft and to the image ... and he did it without ego.

I am so happy for him that his work had so recently received so much critical and financial success in his trips to China.

I'll keep a special sense in my viewing when I'm out shooting because of his influence.

Here's a portrait ... very soft-focus ... the only one I've taken of Per ... so it should go here ... somehow the very soft-focus seems most appropriate now:
http://home.comcast.net/~mary.j.graves/Tonopah%20Per%27s%20Portrait.jpg

Robert Oliver
18-Jul-2011, 08:41
Great Man!
Great Teacher!

Best thing we can do to honor Per is to pass on what he taught us to others.

Godspeed Per!

Ben Hopson
18-Jul-2011, 08:43
I had the good fortune to meet Per and spend a few days at his workshop in the Olympic Mountains a few years ago. Such a kind and generous person. Condolences to his family.

Keith Pitman
18-Jul-2011, 09:03
Met him at his Santa Fe workshop last year and hoped to be able to go to another. Sorry to have only had one opportunity to spend time with him.

Robert Oliver
18-Jul-2011, 09:52

WOW!

What an amazing photo! Captures his spirit perfectly.

light bear
18-Jul-2011, 10:00
I am lost for words and still in shock on his passing. So unexpected. My condolences to Becky, Christian and Limo. It is such a great loss to his family, to the arts and photography community.

Not only he gave generously of his knowledge and skills in all areas of technical side of the photography, he gave of himself as an artist, mentor and person to all who he came into contact with, especially on the side that photography is about expressing the feeling, the meaning beyond what meets the eye. He is always available, open and of good spirits. He is humorous, warm, upbeat and encouraging. He is always respectful and yet stands firm on his belief. In the short of amount of time I have come to know him, he has been such a mentor, teacher, and friend. I miss him dearly. It is not only his work and teaching, but his person and life has shown me what it is to be a true artist/photographer.

I will forever cherish the one week one on one workshop with him back in 2010, all the emails and phone calls in between, all the wisdom he imparted, all the laughter together. The last thing we talked about was him trying to find compression socks before his trip to Yellow stone just 2 weeks ago. We joked that gaffers tap would do! We talked about the Santa Fe workshop this coming Oct; his plan of having a workshop up here in Washington next spring ... and field trip together to Denmark and Norway sometime. He showed me what he wants to take a picture of. He always has lots of ideas creatively, so full of life. What an example. I totally echo someone said earlier - we are the ones to carry on what he taught us through his work and his life. His spirit in experimenting, in seeing, in continuing to grow as a person and artist will continually be my inspiration.

As I have always thought that portraiture is off limit for me, too daunting, he took me through the process and break me into it just by doing, just one example how great a teacher he is. Here is one from the session we did. Him and limo - I am thankful that I had a chance to do that.

Not only Rest in peace, Per. I am sure you are now in a place full of light that you so dearly love.

Pei-Te

Chauncey Walden
18-Jul-2011, 10:03
I had the good fortune to have joined Per's workshops in Tonopah in 2009 and last year in New Mexico. A good and generous man and an inspiration to photographers.

MenacingTourist
18-Jul-2011, 10:14
Per was a great teacher. He had that quality of being gentle and honest with critiques and completely infectious with his vision. I first met him at a workshop in Zion's national park. I had never shot LF before and offered to carry gear in return for the opportunity to tag along. He obliged and I've been hooked ever since.

He was a hell of a guy and both as a person and as an artist. Thanks for everything.

Mark Sawyer
18-Jul-2011, 10:17
Sad news indeed. The man left a lot of good behind.

Perhaps after the sting has passed, we'll need to organize another free Per Volquartz workshop...

Capocheny
18-Jul-2011, 10:57
What sad news this is... Per was indeed a kind soul and a real gentle man with a HUGE heart.

His love of photography shone through whenever he spoke on the topic!

He'll live on forever through all the students he mentored!

Such a loss... condolences to his family and friends.

Ted Stoddard
18-Jul-2011, 12:26
I was just thinking of all the good times we had with him but one story that really sticks out in my mind was the road trip with me,per and mike took together to tonopah in may we had a great drive even after he ran over a couple rabbits along the way and I said you just killed thumper!! He was cracking up LOL than on the way back he purchased some peppered jerky and it was too hot for me so I picked up some teriyaki jerky and on the way home we stopped to look at some place on the side of the road and he sat in the car while me and mike walked around to see if any good images could be made and we didn't find none but as we started driving again I went into my jerky bag and started eating some and didn't realize it until it was too late but he had slipped some of his peppered jerky into my bag and we just started cracking up about on the way home I miss that about him being a joker and laughing about our trip with his wife Becky at the dinner table that night!!! He was a great great friend to me!!! I'll never forget him or what he taught me over the years!!! I'm up for any workshop Per style I was thinking of trying to have a get together next year in the Redwoods

Duane Polcou
18-Jul-2011, 12:52
I never had the pleasure of meeting him or attending his workshops, but I sure wish I had. Such a wonderfully talented photographer. My you rest in peace.

Dave Wooten
18-Jul-2011, 13:48

Perfect...thanks Jim.

David Hedley
18-Jul-2011, 13:53
I am very sorry to hear of Per's passing. My condolences to his family and friends.

John Sexton
18-Jul-2011, 14:06
I am shocked and deeply saddened to learn of Per’s passing. I first met Per thirty-five years ago when he was a participant at the 1976 Ansel Adams Yosemite Workshop. Per’s passion and dedication to photography are clearly visible in the beautiful body of work he leaves behind for us to enjoy. It is indeed a luminous legacy, and a wonderful gift he has given to us. In addition, his many students will continue to make images that will add to richness of our medium. My thoughts and prayers are with Per’s family, and his many friends.

Jim Fitzgerald
18-Jul-2011, 14:56
Mark and everyone following this thread. After things settle down a bit we will put something together "Per style" free get together/workshop. First we must take care of the business at hand. When we have info we will post it ASAP. Thanks for everyone's kind words. I'm sure Per is up there going "boy did I fool these guys!"

Mark Woods
18-Jul-2011, 15:13
Count me in Jim. I'll help anyway I can. Maybe some lighting theory and practice?

Jim Fitzgerald
18-Jul-2011, 16:48
Mark, thanks. I like that Idea and I'm thinking many others would like to learn also. I'm going to help with getting this all together. We have a lot to consider. Thanks so much for your offer as I do appreciate it.

Elliot Puritz
18-Jul-2011, 18:35
Very upsetting and sad news. Per and I had been corresponding about my spending some time with him while I was in LA. We had not yet met, but had spoken and corresponded about interspersing wine tasting with photographic pursuits. We joked that it was likely that the wine would probably take on more importance than the camera-and would certainly be more fun! I add my condolences to his family and his friends. Per was a considerable talent who was anxious to share his passion and his skill. Great artists and teachers have a gift that is unique. There is an unfillable void when such artists pass.

Elliot

madmax12
18-Jul-2011, 18:44
Dam I just bought the 4 wheeler so I could get him out into the dunes in Tonopah to photograph te clear sand way back . I only had the one time with him in tonopah. He was quick to laugh and picked up the check one day for no reason .I wish to be more like him. I learned a lot in that meeting wish I had spent more time with him . My condolences to his family and friends . I need to go back to Tonopah next spring and light a fire in his remembrance. I think maybe a arrow with an image on it will work .To all that knew him . I am so sad

Steve Sherman
18-Jul-2011, 18:55
Very sad, my condolences to the family.

Steve Sherman

Michael Clark
18-Jul-2011, 19:13
He would have liked that Craig .

ghostcount
18-Jul-2011, 19:40
Dam I just bought the 4 wheeler so I could get him out into the dunes in Tonopah to photograph te clear sand way back . I only had the one time with him in tonopah. He was quick to laugh and picked up the check one day for no reason .I wish to be more like him. I learned a lot in that meeting wish I had spent more time with him . My condolences to his family and friends . I need to go back to Tonopah next spring and light a fire in his remembrance. I think maybe a arrow with an image on it will work .To all that knew him . I am so sad

He would have liked that Craig .

I'd say let's do it - Tonopah 2012 and have a big bonfire for him at sand dunes.

Ted Stoddard
18-Jul-2011, 19:50
I'm totally in for that as well Tonopah and Craig bring the 4 wheeler we discussed the same idea about using a 4 wheeler to get to certain areas quicker and easier so we all could get many great images!

We all had a great time with him!!!

Kevin J. Kolosky
18-Jul-2011, 20:56
May he rest in peace.

I was very fortunate to have corresponded with Per on many occasions years ago.
He was always very helpful and willing to answer questions.

And I was very fortunate to purchase a lovely print from him of a negative he made at the Grand Canyon.

eddie
19-Jul-2011, 04:37
i thought we all would enjoy some photos of Per.

1st is Day one of the tonopah temptation.
next two are at the club house inn tonopah
last one is in goldfield Nv.

RIP our friend.

D. Bryant
19-Jul-2011, 05:52
I never met or knew Per, though I've read many posts over the years that spoke glowingly of him, his work, and dedication to photography. He certainly gave back to the world sharing his talent and jest for sharing with others.

What a great role model for us all.

RIP Per.

Don Bryant

julia brandreth
19-Jul-2011, 06:57
Hello Jim,

I just sent Linda Craig an email about the workshop in Santa Fe...

should it? could it? go ahead with Per in spirit?

Let me know your thoughts. I was to do some work with Per last Thursday as we planned. We spoke on Monday and he seemed to be on the mend. When I did not hear from him I had this terrible feeling and called and wrote to him everyday ...

Deeply saddened, Per touched so many of us photographically and as a dear friend.

julia

ASRafferty
19-Jul-2011, 08:08
A kind and true gentleman, and the rare authentic teacher...only passion makes one as generous as Per was...deepest sympathies to his family, students, and friends.

matthew blais
19-Jul-2011, 09:01
The service will be at 2 Pm on the 30th of July.

Cabots and Sons
300 North Fair Oaks
Pasadena CA 91105

If you are going to attend, please send me an email
Thanks

Matt's email (mpb@matthewblaisphotography.com)

Sirius Glass
19-Jul-2011, 17:49

When I can be back in Los Angeles long enough or I start working back in Los Angeles, you can join another off roading photographer and me going to Oceano Dunes, the Mojave Desert or the San Bernado Mountains to take photographs and celebrate Per's memory.

Steve

madmax12
19-Jul-2011, 18:12
When I can be back in Los Angeles long enough or I start working back in Los Angeles, you can join another off roading photographer and me going to Oceano Dunes, the Mojave Desert or the San Bernado Mountains to take photographs and celebrate Per's memory.

Steveit would be a honor to go do that we need to plan that so I can go;)

madmax12
19-Jul-2011, 18:13
I'd say let's do it - Tonopah 2012 and have a big bonfire for him at sand dunes.

consider it a date :)

lilmsmaggie
19-Jul-2011, 19:36
I had asked Per if I could tentatively register; however, I'm coming from a trip to the Yucatan the week before and arrive home the day before the Santa Fe workshop begins. I really wanted to be able to work with Per again in Santa Fe. I missed the 5 Churches workshop last year too.

I had sent Per an email a couple of weeks ago stating that I just couldn't work the Santa Fe trip because of the Yucatan trip. I realize a lot of planning goes into these events and participation are key.

I believe continuing to hold annual workshops in Santa Fe and Tonopah in remembrance of Per would be an idea that I hope others share as well.

Please include me in any workshop email distribution for future workshops.

Looking forward to meeting some of you in Pasadena on July 30.

Dwain Barefield

Hello Jim,

I just sent Linda Craig an email about the workshop in Santa Fe...

should it? could it? go ahead with Per in spirit?

Let me know your thoughts. I was to do some work with Per last Thursday as we planned. We spoke on Monday and he seemed to be on the mend. When I did not hear from him I had this terrible feeling and called and wrote to him everyday ...

Deeply saddened, Per touched so many of us photographically and as a dear friend.

julia

dneilson
19-Jul-2011, 20:31
I first met Per at the Mt. Shasta workshop several years ago. I felt a connection since he was a recent kidney recipient and I was a recent donor. I had the opportunity to attend several other gatherings with him over the years and just this spring spent a week with him at his home for a darkroom workshop. I have grown to deeply admire and love the man. I was hoping to someday have the chance to travel with him to Denmark. His family lives fairly close to where my relatives came to Utah from about 130 years ago.
I am grateful to him for his willingness to share his knowledge with us. I will miss him.

Jim Fitzgerald
19-Jul-2011, 20:32
Dwain, I've got you on the list. Thanks and look forward to meeting you.

Gary Nylander
19-Jul-2011, 22:56
Sorry to hear of Per's passing, my condolences to family and friends.

Tony Karnezis
20-Jul-2011, 00:59
How sad. It's touching reading all the heartfelt praise from those who knew him.

dperez
20-Jul-2011, 07:41
What sad news. I never had the opportunity to meet Per in person, but I have read many of his posts and admired his work. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Jay Decker
20-Jul-2011, 20:27
Per was generous with his time, even with rank beginners. In 2009, he spent an afternoon with me teaching me view camera movements and composition basics. And, he was gracious enough to sit for me. This is one of my first LF photographs, which was taken with the knowledge he passed to me the day before.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/data/500/Scan-091121-0004.jpg

Per
Goldfield Court House

John Cooley
21-Jul-2011, 13:26
I was fortunate enough to attend Per's first "Free" workshop in Joshua Tree about 10 years ago. He was such an amazing, patient and selfless teacher; I followed him to Zion, Olympic, Bodie, Lone Pine, Mt. Shasta . . . . I will never be able to open a camera again without thinking of Per. We have lost a giant. I hope he somehow knows how much everyone cared for him, and how sad we all are today.

Asher Kelman
21-Jul-2011, 14:18
I feel fortunate and privileged to have met Per this may in Tonopah. His helpfulness and lack of airs and genuine interest in our own photography needs so impressed me.

I watched him examine the sky and landscape, moving rocks to the side with his cane as if he had his own personal relationship with the the surface of the planet. Interesting that Jim posted a picture of Per surveying the mountain ranges from the top of a ridge. That seemed to me to summarize his love of the world we have temporary mastery over.

We planned so many things to do together. He was going to post his work on my website to encourage more of the digital folk to understand the values in LF photography. He offered to take me under his wing for film and print processing and I was so looking forward to learning from him. He did all these generous things and never with a sense of lineage to the greats, name-dropping or pointing out his time with Ansel Adams and the like. In the very short time I spent with him at Tonopah, we were all moved by his quiet, modest and intellectually honest approach to everyone, his prize students, old friends and newcomers to him, folk like Edde, Al and I.

His effect on others here and no doubt over the world is obviously such that his memory will always be kept alive with appreciation, gratitude, respect and joy.

May he rest in peace!

Asher

Asher Kelman
16-Feb-2012, 22:58
My friend and mentor, Per Volquartz passed away this morning due to several complications from a kidney infection. He fought the fight...

Per was responsible for bringing many photo and LF enthusiasts together for the last 10 years, offering free Workshop/Get Togethers at various locations. Myself and others benefited through his gracious ability to share not only his knowledge and love of photography and art, but his friendship.

He will be missed by many...

Matt,

Your fitting tribute was followed by so many other photographers sharing grief and sympathy for passing of a gentle teacher and example to us all. Thanks to your leadership, Ted Stoddard, Jim Fitzgerald and many others, the workshop tribute so mean here looked forward to is about to take place. Already it's very well subscribed and about 22 or more will attend. Details are here (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=83018). We want to make sure that everyone here knows of this first Free Workshop in Per's honor.

Everyone who wishes to celebrate in photography his joy of life, is welcome and we'll all learn something new. I have a special request for any photographs of him that we could print out or, if you are going to attend, bring in person.

Asher

If anyone wishes to join the free workshop, let us now immediately so we can look into renting a 3rd house. There's plenty more space in the RV park and reasonable hotels nearby too. We need to know fast so we can make sure we can accommodate everyone. I have no mailing list, but have tried to identify everyone who has shown an interest in the thread linked above. I now realize that this thread has even more names. My apologies if we didn't contact you personally.

Please send pictures of Per, files up to any size via http://yousendit.com to editor.OPFATmac.com (replace AT, of course by @) That way my email will not be filled up! :) Let us know if you want it printed by itself as art or if it can be combined in one large memento I can make and print out.