PDA

View Full Version : Flying (to Rome, Italy) with Gitzo GT5561SG tripod?

dh003i
2-Jul-2011, 21:22
I'm going to Rome, Italy for a friend's wedding July 7 - 14. My tripod that I'm taking to Rome with me: Gitzo GT5561SGT (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/548442-REG/Gitzo_GT5561SGT_GT_5561SGT_Giant_Systematic_6X.html). Folded, it is 28 inches long. It is about 5-6 inches in diameter at the thickest. 7.5 lbs. It is paired with an Arca-Swiss Z2 head. Other gear I'd like to take with me:

Wehman 8x10 with 240 Fujinon A folded into it (a 12"x13"x3.6" box)
Alpenhaus 4x5 (a 6" x 10.25 x 4" box)
8x10 and 4x5 film carriers
corresponding film boxes
Olympus E-3 DSLR with 14-54mm lens attached...maybe 50/2 macro too
8x10 & 4x5 dark cloth...8x10 film-holders are 12.5 x 9.25 inches and less than 0.5 inch thick.
Harrison Jumbo 11x14" Film Changing Tent (21in long x 6in diameter)
Nikkor-SW 120mm lens & lensboard (separated) -- I'd have the SK Grimes spanner wrench with me of course

I think all this stuff could fit in the carry-one baggage ("You may carry on one bag and one personal item at no charge", where personal carry-on item can include a camera-bag or briefcase and both must be 22" x 14" x 9" or less).

I have a over-the-shoulder sling for my light-stands that this would fit in with the Gitzo GT5561SGT tripod and Arca-Swiss Z2 head (with a belt to secure the loose end). Including the tie-knot made with my belt, the sling is 3.5 ft x 4-6 inches in "diameter", depending on the part of the tripod. Think they'd allow me to carry that on? I'd really prefer not to be separated from my most expensive gear.

I could put it in my big suitcase which I will check, separated from the head (with the head put in its original cushioned box), and cushion the tripod with my clothes. Really wish I hadn't shipped that old Linhof tripod in my Gitzo GT5561SGT box -- it would've made me feel better about putting it in suitcase. Between the head and tripod, I'd need to spend $30 to insure it (https://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/delayed_damaged_lost/declaring_baggage_value/index.jsp) each time I have the suitcase checked. Except they seem to conveniently exclude camera equipment: "Delta is not responsible or liable for cash, camera equipment...contained in checked or unchecked baggage. These items should be carried by the passenger."

The thought of traveling by airplane has started to give me a lot of stress. Especially after 9/11, the excuses for damaging people's valuable possessions have mounted. Delta (and other airlines) also of course disclaim liability for items damaged by TSA agents or other government officials -- which effectively means no one is liable, as they won't be held liable (or rather, that I am liable for other people's carelessness).

eddie
2-Jul-2011, 23:01
I am sure u will have to check the tripod. Plan for it anyway. I would check it anyway just so I did not haveto lug it around.

I would check as much as possible. Carry the film on ofcourse.

I fly with cameras and lenses all the time. A hard sides suitcase with 4 rolling wheels is the best. Easy to wheel around standing up. I pack the individual items in boxes packed with bubble wrap. This includes cameras as well. Get the large bubble wrap (uline.com). Make sure the case is FULL of bubble wrap so nothing moves. Save the bubble wrap in Italy. You will not find the good stuff like that there.

Pay for a second bag (usually 50$ on delta). Put u r tripod in there with your clothes. Carry on film and computer. Relax.

Sometimes I just buy a tripod on arrival. Or borrow one.

Eddie

PS. Maybe buying another cheaper tripod is an option so u do not have to worry so much about it. Bogen 3021 legs are pretty cheap used.

dh003i
2-Jul-2011, 23:25
Thanks for the thoughts eddie. I'll have to look local. My big suitcase is 12x23x31 inches, and that is just about the size needed to fit the GT5561SGT tripod without the head. It is anything but tough, though, although it as two aluminum/steel bars. Clothes and other cushy stuff could buffer the tripod and head, though I suppose.

If I had realized flying would be this much of a hassle -- I also need to fill out customs forms so they don't try to levy duties on equipment I already bought within the US when I bring it back -- I would've taken a boat! As it is, if I'd realized this earlier, I would have bit the bullet and bought a Halliburton case. Of course, that doesn't prevent theft by TSA or airline employees.

eddie
3-Jul-2011, 00:11
You will not need any customs forms. They never ask onyhe USA. No need. Just get inthe " nothing to declare" line inboyh places. No issues. It is real easy. Do not worry. I have done this in 12-14 countries with no issues at all.

As I said get a different tripod if it makes it less stressful for u or buy a throwaway one in italy. (bogen is made in Italy). Take two checked bags. All will go easy. Remember lots of bubble wrap and individually box the stuff for added security.

Eddie

Frank Petronio
3-Jul-2011, 06:33
No way you're taking that all carry-on.

Lightware makes padded cargo cases 12 x 12 x however long... they are not too expensive for the unwheeled versions. The ones with wheels are $$$ but nice. Pack your tripod into these and surround with clothes and personal items, the Harrison, film holders, etc.

Just carry lenses, film, and the cameras.

The Arca-Swiss head is also delicate. Surround it with underwear and socks, or treat it like a lens.

Steve M Hostetter
3-Jul-2011, 07:47
Just remember that If you are told by traffic cop to stop it is a capital offense If you ignore

Be = to driving into area 51 while flipping off the cops

dh003i
3-Jul-2011, 11:05
Thanks for the advice all! Frank, the Lightware padded case seems very nice -- maybe I'll get one down the line. But they're out of stock at Adorama right now, and usually ship in 1-2 weeks from B&H photo. I may try Craigslist to see if anyone locally has a tough big suitcase.

My alternative option is to wrap up the tripod in my bathrobe, which I think will offer the best cushioning, or to have Fedex package it before I put it in my suitcase. I'm stopping by there today.

I'm not too worried about the head, as I have the original padded A-S box it came in. But I think it'll fit in my camera backpack anyways.

Jeffrey Sipress
3-Jul-2011, 18:47
You need to use three large format cameras and travel abroad with this stuff?

dh003i
3-Jul-2011, 21:58
One is a 4x5 Alpenhaus polaroid conversion; I will use that as a "walk-about" 4x5 camera. The 8x10 is for the landscape stuff and more planned shots. The Olympus E-3 is not a large-format camera; it is a DSLR. I use it for taking digital photos and as a light-meter for the large-format cameras.

I don't *need* two large-format cameras, but it is nice to have them.

Frank Petronio
3-Jul-2011, 22:42
Personally the Polaroid, a light tripod, and a ton of film will be more productive than anything else and save your sanity.

Somewhat.

dh003i
4-Jul-2011, 08:41
Frank, LOL @ "Somewhat".

dh003i
4-Jul-2011, 12:06
After thinking about it, I've decided to go with the route Frank suggested; thanks Frank.

Rome, Italy on a 5-day stay is not the place to learn a new camera and start my first 8x10 shots.