PDA

View Full Version : Power Macintosh G3 won't power up

vinny
1-Jul-2011, 19:18
I got this with a scanner as part of a package. It's not a big deal if I can't get it going but the scanner (screen dts 1030) requires an older mac and I have another one that does work but the new one would be much faster. Anyway, I press the on button and nothing lights up and no fans come on. The power cable is fine, checked that. Anything I should look for before I dump it?

Filmnut
1-Jul-2011, 20:08
Could be the power supply, but I'm not an expert. Have you tried doing a "google" search for ways to debug it?
Keith

Frank Petronio
1-Jul-2011, 21:28
It's a $40 part. Or just buy a couple of others as spares.

domaz
11-Jul-2011, 16:49
Could also be a bad switch- unlikely but not unheard of. PC power supplies can be tested with a wire jumper- google ATX power supply testing. I have no idea if Mac Power supplies are similar and can be tested that way.

Greg Blank
11-Jul-2011, 17:03
Every electronic device with a power supply works like this: power switch on and plugged into a powered socket & device lights up,....mac/pc its all the same....just depends on the design how to read the lighting up :)

vinny
11-Jul-2011, 17:39
Now I'm wondering if the power supply is something I can easily replace myself? I'd rather not sink a bunch of $$ into this to find out it's dead but the software is already installed (i do have the disks but have had issues installing Screen software in the past) and would be much faster to use than the old supermac i currently use.

JohnnyV
11-Jul-2011, 17:51
Change the motherboard battery! Seriously!

Greg Blank
11-Jul-2011, 18:52
Layman's terms....P -ram battery.....could work!

Change the motherboard battery! Seriously!

Greg Blank
11-Jul-2011, 18:58
Tell you this I have never gotten rid of any mac system that I owned, they all have attributes, that are of value. When you say Power supply its not really too clear. Every mac I have is a plug in unit, can you PM me a few photos of the PS, I have systems before your G3 and current ones well afterwards.

More than willing to help if I can.

Now I'm wondering if the power supply is something I can easily replace myself? I'd rather not sink a bunch of $$ into this to find out it's dead but the software is already installed (i do have the disks but have had issues installing Screen software in the past) and would be much faster to use than the old supermac i currently use.

vinny
11-Jul-2011, 19:03
I removed the battery and metered it, 3.59 volts so it's still good.

vinny
11-Jul-2011, 19:13
Tell you this I have never gotten rid of any mac system that I owned, they all have attributes, that are of value. When you say Power supply its not really too clear. Every mac I have is a plug in unit, can you PM me a few photos of the PS, I have systems before your G3 and current ones well afterwards.

More than willing to help if I can.

Greg, THEY said power supply. I have no idea what it looks like or what replacing it entails. Can't be too hard though, this machine is put together like a tank. I need to do some research on it.

Greg Blank
11-Jul-2011, 19:16
They?

Greg, THEY said power supply. I have no idea what it looks like or what replacing it entails. Can't be too hard though, this machine is put together like a tank. I need to do some research on it.

vinny
11-Jul-2011, 19:28
Keith and frank. Read the first couple posts.

David Sieverding
11-Jul-2011, 20:43
Reseat your ram. You might want to reseat everything else too.

domaz
11-Jul-2011, 20:52
Every electronic device with a power supply works like this: power switch on and plugged into a powered socket & device lights up,....mac/pc its all the same....just depends on the design how to read the lighting up :)

Actually not so simple. With an ATX power supply the power switch is actually on the motherboard. So if you plug in an ATX power supply to a bad motherboard it will not turn on. But a bad power supply with a good motherboard will exhibit the same behavior- won't turn on when you click the power, so some more advanced troubleshooting is in order..

JohnnyV
12-Jul-2011, 06:50
Battery checked out OK.

Most Macs don't use off the shelf ATX power supplies. What model G3 do you have?

unixrevolution
12-Jul-2011, 09:00
I have a Power Mac G3 on my shelf that probably still works. If you want it, It's yours for the cost of postage.