PDA

View Full Version : Using the Epson fluid mount dry?

Ed Richards
27-Jun-2011, 14:10
I am curious if the Epson fluid mount accessory is anti-Newton glass. I am not interested in fluid mounting, but am curious if I could just tape a 4x5 black and white negative to the glass to keep it flat.

Gem Singer
27-Jun-2011, 18:34
The wet mount accessory tray for the Epson 750V is not anti-Newton Ring glass.

A negative with a textured (dull) emulsion surface can be placed with the emulsion side contacting the tray glass and the shiny base side can then be covered with a proper sized piece of anti-Newton Ring glass, textured side against the shiny base side, to hold the film flat.

If both sides of the film are shiny, as with most color film, you will need to use the plastic film holder or wet mount the negative on the tray glass to avoid Newton Rings.

Anti-Newton glass is clear glass that has a smooth side and a lightly textured opposite side. It is not tinted glass that has special light filtering properties.

See: www.fpointinc.com

Ed Richards
27-Jun-2011, 18:56
Thanks for the site about AN glass. It suggests that you can use the wet mount accessory as the base glass with the emulsion down, and use AN glass on top. Anyone have experience with TMY-2 and Newton's rings? I have heard that the emulsion is so thin and smooth that it needs AN glass.