PDA

View Full Version : howtek d4000 potential purpose

babak
25-Jun-2011, 14:11
Hello all,

New to this forum and scanning so please bear with me.
I have recently moved into large format photography and hope to print my shots into quite large sizes.
I have been looking abd reading around the scanning aspect of the workflow, and it seems that the drum scanner is the way to go?
For my budget, I have found a D4000 for sale, which comes with one drum and a loading table and aurora software.
I have an old Mac G5 and a 2 year old Mac book pro.

Questions,
Am I going to be able to run the scanner on my computers?
Any tips on buying second hand.
Any suggestions or advise on this mater what so ever would be very welcome.

Thanks

sanking
25-Jun-2011, 14:30
Hello all,

I have recently moved into large format photography and hope to print my shots into quite large sizes.
I have been looking abd reading around the scanning aspect of the workflow, and it seems that the drum scanner is the way to go?
For my budget, I have found a D4000 for sale, which comes with one drum and a loading table and aurora software.

Questions,

Thanks

I don't believe you will be able to run the D4000 with Aurora on either of your computers. You need MAC OS9 classic system to run Aurora and my understanding is that you can not install OS9 on a MAC G5 or a MacBook Pro. To run Aurora you will need a MAC G3 or G4 with OS9 installed.

You may be able to run the D4000 with Silverfast on your G5, depending on what OSX system you have, or can install. I have a D4000 and run it with a MAC G4 with OS 10.3.9. Works perfectly.

Sandy

sanking
25-Jun-2011, 14:34
Hello all,

Questions,

Thanks

I don't believe you will be able to run the D4000 with Aurora on either of your computers. You need MAC OS9 classic system to run Aurora and my understanding is that you can not install OS9 on a MAC G5 or a MacBook Pro, though I could be wrong about the G5. If you can not install OS9 on your G5 an inexpensive route is to pick up a MAC G3 or G4 with OS9 installed and dedicate it to the scanner.

You may be able to run the D4000 with Silverfast on your G5, depending on what OSX system you have, or can install. I have a D4000 and run it with a MAC G4 with OS 10.3.9. Works perfectly.

Sandy

babak
25-Jun-2011, 15:06
Thanks Sandy

Do you think I can run the Silverfast on os 10.5.8 or 10.6.7?

sanking
25-Jun-2011, 15:12
Thanks Sandy

Do you think I can run the Silverfast on os 10.5.8 or 10.6.7?

According to Silverfast website you can run Silverfast for the Howtek D4000 with either OS 10.4 or 10.5. You can download a demo version for free to see if it will work for you on 10.5.8.

BTW, before spending your money on a drum scanner, or any high end scanner for that matter, ask for a demo to make sure it is in working order. This equipment is very large and heavy and while some of it can be serviced, cost will be very high.

Sandy

aluncrockford
25-Jun-2011, 15:36
I have got a D4000 a Mac G3 running on 10.3.8 with silverfast it works perfectly. What you have to have is a scusi card then everything will fall into place