PDA

View Full Version : Edward Weston Exhibition/Monterey, CA

Merg Ross
16-Jun-2011, 20:56
http://www.montereyart.org/category/upcoming-exhibitions/

Darin Boville
16-Jun-2011, 23:03
Hey Merg,

Any idea how many prints are in the show? I'm tempted to go down but it will be a stretch.

--Darin

Darin Boville
17-Jun-2011, 00:49
Found this:

http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/events/2011/jun/17/42900/

"...over a hundred."

--Darin

William Whitaker
17-Jun-2011, 07:11
*sigh*..... I'm living on the wrong coast.

JamesFromSydney
17-Jun-2011, 08:10
Living on the wrong continent...

SamReeves
17-Jun-2011, 08:28
$10 to go to the museum? Photography West and the Weston Gallery are free.

Jim Noel
17-Jun-2011, 08:38
To drive from San Diego, spend the night in a typically over-priced motel,eat in over-priced restaurants and return home will cost me a lot more than $10, but I will be there.

Darin Boville
17-Jun-2011, 09:50
$10 to go to the museum? Photography West and the Weston Gallery are free.

You live next door!

Just getting down there will cost me more than $10 in gas.

--Darin

Arne Croell
17-Jun-2011, 10:03
Right now there is an Edward Weston exhibit here in Huntsville, AL, too, the Leaves of Grass one: http://www.hsvmuseum.org/art/current-exhibits/

I intend to see it this afternoon.

SamReeves
18-Jun-2011, 08:43
You live next door!

Just getting down there will cost me more than $10 in gas.

--Darin

2.5 gallons? That must be one small engine!

karl french
18-Jun-2011, 10:26
$10 to get into Point Lobos as well.

Darin Boville
18-Jun-2011, 10:43
$10 to get into Point Lobos as well.

I found Point Lobos kind of depressing. Too many trails, too many people, too small a space. The whole time looking at multi-zilion dollar houses across the way. Not my kind of place.

--Darin

Merg Ross
18-Jun-2011, 10:48
Here is an updated link to the Edward Weston exhibit, now on view.

http://www.montereyart.org/current-exhibitions/edward-weston-american-photographer/

Thanks,
Merg

karl french
18-Jun-2011, 11:33
Looking forward to it. Thanks for the link.

Darin Boville
18-Jun-2011, 17:44
Heading down tomorrow! Thanks. Merg, for the heads up.

--Darin

Merg Ross
18-Jun-2011, 17:58

--Darin Darin, more than welcome. Be sure to report back.

Merg

Ron McElroy
18-Jun-2011, 18:53
Right now there is an Edward Weston exhibit here in Huntsville, AL, too, the Leaves of Grass one: http://www.hsvmuseum.org/art/current-exhibits/

Thanks for posting this. I can get to this one :)

Roger Thoms
19-Jun-2011, 19:38
Went to the exhibit today, it was nice, saw a lot of Weston's work I had never seen before.

Merg, thank for another good tip.

Roger

tgtaylor
20-Jun-2011, 18:24
The Weston Exhibition was my back-up plan if I didn't go to Yosemite. Well I didn't go to Yosemite yesterday as originally planned so off to Monterrey and the Weston exhibition I went.

My interest in this exhibition was two-fold: First, I had never seen Edward Weston prints up close and in person and, secondly, I knew that Weston primarily contact printed 8x10 negatives and as I had recently purchased an 8x10 camera I was very interested in how he mounted and displayed his prints.

What I learned was that he floated his prints pretty much like I do but mounts them just a tad above dead center a quarter inch or less which often appeared to be dead center until checked. This brought to mind an observation by Adams where Edward asked him: "Which looks best, here or (moving the print a millimeter) here?" which exasperated Adams.

For me it proved to be well worth the 1.5 hours drive each way and the $10 admission charge and I came away from it confident that a good print doesn't have to printed larger than 8x10 to look good. In fact it actually looks better printed at that size and mounted to 16x20 than when printed larger. I also came away with the feeling that Edward was the better photographer and printer than the son Brett. But I have to see both of their prints again before making a final judgement on that.

If you get the chance, GO!

Thomas

Merg Ross
20-Jun-2011, 22:28
For me it proved to be well worth the 1.5 hours drive each way and the $10 admission charge and I came away from it confident that a good print doesn't have to printed larger than 8x10 to look good. In fact it actually looks better printed at that size and mounted to 16x20 than when printed larger. I also came away with the feeling that Edward was the better photographer and printer than the son Brett. But I have to see both of their prints again before making a final judgement on that.

If you get the chance, GO!

Thomas

Good to hear that you made the drive to view the work of a master photographer. I have a suspicion that the two photographers you reference, Edward and Ansel, have attracted many to this forum.

For the record, Edward Weston never mounted his prints to 16x20. However, your comment is only to suggest that an 8x10 mounted to 16x20 is an appropriate presentation, and I am in agreement.

As to a comparison between Brett and his father, the word "better" appears to be a rather shallow, although popular, evaluation of two very different talents. Brett taught me when I was young, that competition has no place in the arts. He led his life accordingly, as did his father. Those familiar with them know the praise and appreciation each had for what the other was doing with his photography. An astute analysis will reveal how very different their work is.

You are wisely withholding a "final" judgement. It may be that you will find them too different to make a meaningful comparison. However, you may prefer the work of one more than the other.

Thanks for your impressions.

Merg

Darin Boville
20-Jun-2011, 23:52

--Darin

Didn't make it. Grrrrr. Will try again this weekend.

--Darin

tgtaylor
21-Jun-2011, 14:56
Good to hear that you made the drive to view the work of a master photographer. I have a suspicion that the two photographers you reference, Edward and Ansel, have attracted many to this forum.

For the record, Edward Weston never mounted his prints to 16x20. However, your comment is only to suggest that an 8x10 mounted to 16x20 is an appropriate presentation, and I am in agreement.

Thanks for your impressions.

Merg

Thanks Merg.

When I arrived Sunday, a group of 3 was directly in front of me and a major cash register malfunction occurred when they tried to pay by CC. The wait while the staff tried to figure out the problen was getting too long and I told them that I would pay them upon exit. I did and they were quite suprised - probably thinking that I would just skip out the side door without paying. As as reward, I guess, they gave me a free admission ticket that I could use at my leisure and I just noticed that The Art of California, 1880 to Present, California Artists and Portraiture, and Adams and Weston and The Masters of California Photography are the current exhibition at the Pacific Street location for the rest of the year!!!: http://www.montereyart.org/category/current-exhibitions/

So as Arnold Schwartzenager famously said: "I'll be back!"

Thomas

Darin Boville
28-Jun-2011, 13:02
Nice show, went down there this past Sunday. One or two I hadn't seen before (and one of those--a high key, mid day Oceana shot, I couldn't find in print in my Weston books after).

A few trivial observations:

My 14-year old daughter, who cuts my mats for me, is a mat snob. She said, "these mats really suck" and I said they didn't. Then she pointed out the prints from the collection of the City of Carmel (they owned many of the prints in the show). Those mats *really* sucked. Rather amazing. Sides not parallel, wobbly cuts, etc. Every one of them was bad. Sort of funny given the value of the prints they were protecting.

Several of the prints were displayed upside down or reversed left to right compared to images in some of my books (the books were in disagreement, too). I noticed this in person with a shot of a wooden wall and doorway image called "Potato Cellar"--it looked reversed to me and I said so. Kids thought I was crazy. Did Weston print these reversed sometimes or did the books get them wrong? Another one that springs to mind is a shot of some sort of carrot. Upside down in print compared to the show image. btw, the show images were all signed in the bottom right corner, except for Pepper No. 30 from the Weston gallery collection which had an overmat covering the signature area. Looked to me that print was printed a bit lighter than others I have seen. Looked almost faded.

Why do small, revenue hungry museums close their gift shops before closing time? My kid wanted to buy a few Weston postcards, etc but as we left at five 'til closing the little gift shop was already closed and locked. Kid was bummed. The place was only open for three hours that day...sigh.

If you go don't go via Highway 1 from San Francisco. There's a long-term washout/repair project at Pescadero which has one lane and a poorly-timed light--about 45 seconds green on the north, 45 seconds both red to let cars clear, 45 seconds green on the south, etc. The cars clear in ten seconds so most of the time is just wasted. Much better to have a three or five minute green time per light. We sat there for 40 minutes!

Bring your cell phone headphones. They have a cell-phone ready audio extra for ten of the images. I forgot my headphones but have the list of prints and the phone number. Doing my own version here at home.

That's all the trivia I have...

--Darin

Dan Dozer
2-Jul-2011, 12:37
Just a side note - about 3 weeks ago, I spent the weekend working with Kim Weston at his house in Carmel. In addition to normal workshops, he also does one-on-ones. What a great experience it was. In addition to working with him on your own photography, you get a great experience in viewing Edward Weston and Brett Weston prints, hearing all the history about all the Weston's (worth the price of admission all by itself), as well as viewing Kim's own work. He lives in Edward Weston's original house.

I can't recommend working with him highly enough.

Michael Jones
27-Jul-2011, 18:49

This Huntsville venue is a fine exhibition. Many photos, most not seen or published elsewhere [outside of Leaves of Grass]. Well hung with no crowds or guards to move you along. The best part: sufficient lighting to actually view & study the images. The only negative: the glazing was not "non-glare," so you had to adjust your viewing positions. All in all, I saw photographs of Weston's I have never seen. Don't miss it.

Mike

Bill Burk
30-Jul-2011, 23:16
Got to see the show today, beautiful. Had the place to myself for the most part, so I got to linger close to the prints as long as I wanted. At first I breezed past the familiar because I was enjoying what was new to me, until I realized I should take advantage of seeing them in person.

tautatis
9-Aug-2011, 22:47
I am on vacation with family in the West Coast. I spent 2 days in Monterey and got to see EW at the museum. Great opportunity to see EW work in person. Try to see it. it is worth very penny of your $10 admission fee and more!

Tautatis,
On transit - Mt. Shasta.

Thom Bennett
10-Aug-2011, 06:53
Just got back from the Leaves of Grass exhibit in Huntsville. Really wonderful to see this work. Not sure where it is going next (it ended Sunday) but next year the host museum will have it from April to December 2012: http://www.mfa.org/exhibitions/edward-weston.

The 53 prints (he shot 700 in 10 months and turned in 74 for the commission) were beautiful and arranged around the gallery in the order of Weston's travels and it was very interesting to see what he responded to. There were images of decay and loss but also of the new and modern. One thing that struck me was that the 8x10 contact print holds up well from quite a distance as well as up close. This was quite a treat to see.

As a sidebar if you are near Birmingham, AL check out this exhibit of Rock and Roll photography: http://www.rockbma.com/. Lots of great work and a fun exhibit.