PDA

View Full Version : Bandelier locations to visit?

gphoto120
14-Jun-2011, 18:26
I'll be in NM in two weeks with a trip planned to Bandelier Natl. Mon. Any suggestions on specific areas there (Bandelier) that I should not miss to make some images ?
Thanks for any suggested sites !
GP

Brian Vuillemenot
14-Jun-2011, 18:36
Be sure to take a hike up to the kiva built into the cliff side. I don't remember the name of the trail, it's been so long, but you can get a real cool shot of the kiva overlooking the cliff. You'll also want to photograph at the scenic overlook of the Rio Grande in the nearby town of White Rock.

Thebes
17-Jun-2011, 20:21
You should note that this area has been having periodic heavy smoke due to an enormous forest fire, the Wallow Fire, west of the AZ/NM border. Whether this will have a large impact on your trip is a toss up. A few days ago outside of Taos the smoke was thick enough I swear I could see it coming out of my mouth as I exhaled, visibility was sometimes under a mile. Since then its been much better, but distant mountains were still much hazier than normal. This is effecting the entire region to varying degrees as the plume shifts around.

On a plus note this might make for better abstractions. Also we've been having a lot of beautiful red/orange sunsets.

Heroique
17-Jun-2011, 23:45
The most heavily visited ruins in Bandelier are in Frijoles Canyon, near the park headquarters, and shouldn’t be missed. Seeing them will take a day of your time, and that’s being too quick! The ruins fall into two categories, those on the valley floor (like Tyuonyi) and those built along the base of the shear cliff (on the north side of the canyon). I think these pueblos were built after the Great Migration of 1300, but abandoned before the Spaniards arrived in the 1500s. Lucky for them. The pair of ruins make for some fun photography – the first emphasizing horizontals, the second verticals. The Jemez Mountains are to the West. It’s a beautiful place.