PDA

View Full Version : Quick release for Gitzo R.No3 head

rich caramadre
14-Jun-2011, 07:15
I have a Gitzo R.No3 head which I use with my Deardorff 8x10. It has a base plate which is 5x3 inches and is pretty solid with that camera. The thing is I have to thread the camera on and off each time I set it up. Not a huge issue but it can be a bit cumbersome. Dose anyone know of a solid quick release with a big footprint that would work on this head?

Len Middleton
17-Jun-2011, 20:52
Rich,

It seems like you do not mount your camera on the tripod head so much, as screw the tripod onto the camera (when it is folded).

I too have a Gitzo R 3 pan and tilt head, and like it very much. However, one of the most solid quick mounts is the system with the Linhof Kardan Panorama Large Studion tilting tripod head. The diameter of the quick release section is just smaller than the mounting plate on the Dorff V8. Then you snap it onto the Kardan head, tighten up the clamping lever, and leave the Gitzo at home for when you use the 4x5...

I have not seen anything that matches the Kardan Studio head in size, but then again maybe I do not get out much.

Regards,

Len

Emmanuel BIGLER
18-Jun-2011, 02:37
Hello from France

For a 4x5" camera I'm using a series 3 classical aluminum Gitzo tripod in combination with a 3-way head model 1370 (discontinued) with exactly the same platform as yours.

I have simply screwed a quick-release clamp, an Arca Swiss model that takes classical A/S dovetail plates, but you can screw any kind of clamp of a similar kind, there are many competing products.

The clamp is solidly held on the platform by a 3/8" Gitzo screw+nut combinaition, ref# :D2271.15
If you do not have this screw+nut acessory, you should get one, either in 1/4" or 3/8" (I have both sizes)
http://www.gitzo.fr/product/8374.29736.79299.0.0/D2271.15/_/VIS_38%27%27_AVEC_ECROU

The Gitzo platform is covered wth a layer of cork, the screw presses the clamp agains the cork so firmly that the cork is slightly "imprinted" with the shape of the clamp. Hence there is absolutely no risk to see the clamp rotating when moving the head with a camera attached to it.

I've been using this system for 10 years now. never had any problem, even when tilting the camera completely upside-down (I did it once to take a picture of a nice wooden framework supporting the roof of an old church, seen from inside the church)