PDA

View Full Version : NY-NJ Path Station Photo Permits Lawsuit

cyrus
13-Jun-2011, 12:51
As some of you know, the New York-New Jersey PATH rail system prohibits photography of their property without a license. A group of photographers are getting together to file a legal complaint against the PATH system. If you're a photographer who has been hassled for not having a photo permit, or if you've been denied a photo permit by the Path system, please send me a brief email, and briefly describe your experience. I can answer questions and provide information via email too.

pathphotosuit@yahoo.com

Nathan Potter
13-Jun-2011, 13:38
cyrus, what does this mean. Is the PATH system fully a private operation or are public funds used (at least in part) to fund it? Does the prohibition to photograph apply only while on PATH property or also apply from public property?

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Bob Salomon
13-Jun-2011, 13:50
cyrus, what does this mean. Is the PATH system fully a private operation or are public funds used (at least in part) to fund it? Does the prohibition to photograph apply only while on PATH property or also apply from public property?

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

PATH is the Port Authority of NY and NJ.

cyrus
13-Jun-2011, 14:12

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

"The PATH is a subdivision of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. Whatever restrictions may flow from the status of property denoted as "private," are here wholly irrelevant. The terminal is a building, constructed, owned, operated and maintained by a public authority. It is open to the public, and it is in fact used by thousands of citizens each day as they travel to and from work. THe Court of Appeals of the Second Circuit has held under identical circumstances , that a New York bus terminus of the same Port Authority is a public forum..."
(etc etc mentionin public forum status of Journal Square and Jersey City)
- Moskowitz v Cullman, 432 FSupp 1263 (1977)

Now let me PREEMPTIVELY say: I don't want to get into a legal discussion because this is not an appropriate place to discuss fine points of constitutional law & watch the thread degrade. We have a valid case, and the only question I'm interested in is whether you have been prevented from obtaining a permit or have been hassled taking photos, and if you or someone you know is interested in pursuing this further.

Leigh
13-Jun-2011, 14:39
Are you an attorney?

- Leigh

cyrus
13-Jun-2011, 14:59
Are you an attorney?

- Leigh

An attorney (or two) will be handling this case and it won't be me, I'll be a plaintiff. I'm trying to keep this thread not about me personally. If you've been hassled, and you're interested in pursuing this, this is how to proceed.

Two23
14-Jun-2011, 20:30
I am a railfan and mostly photo trains on the Northern Plains. I wish you the best. We are winning these! If you want a bigger audience of possible co-plaintiffs, PM me. I know of a better forum for you.

Kent in SD

cyrus
21-Jun-2011, 09:59
Just an update: Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts and the National Press Photographers Association are getting invovled.

sanchi heuser
22-Jun-2011, 10:19
Cyrus,

Good Luck!
People need more freedom.

Andi

Bob Salomon
22-Jun-2011, 11:24
http://www.nppa.org/news_and_events/discussions/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1557

These folks will be much more effective then an ad hoc group.

cyrus
28-Jun-2011, 13:15
http://www.nppa.org/news_and_events/discussions/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1557

These folks will be much more effective then an ad hoc group.

See my previous post. They're already getting involved.