PDA

View Full Version : My first real shoot with a Sinar

Martin_Johansen
10-Jun-2011, 19:03
Hi,

and thanks to everyone who answered all my noobie questions trying to find out LF - here is pictures from my day with a team, a model and a makeup artist, shot with a Sinar and a Hasselblad, feel free to comment

I have used a Sinar here, but i am thinking of buying my own LF now, any suggestion for a guy with not the biggest budget?

http://martinjohansen.no/wordpress/2011/365-days/dag-140-storformat/

RPippin
13-Jun-2011, 12:29
Tis a deep and dark hole we step in with out Sinars. My first shoot and I was hooked for life. I have a Sinar Alpina with an extension rail for macro shots, in the original case I could let go of pretty cheap. $250.00 if your interested.

Barrie B.
13-Jun-2011, 13:29
Greetings RPippin ,
I may be interested in your Sinar- Alpine :
Can you give more details .
Year of manufacture , some Specs, Condition , Photo , lens panel size , etc.
Cheers Barrie B, Melbourne Australia .

Frank Petronio
13-Jun-2011, 13:42
Martin - many large format photographers never achieve what you have on your first shoot.

Used Sinar cameras are not very expensive, especially in the USA with the weak dollar. An Alpina or an older F is the least expensive. A recent F2 or Norma in nice shape can be around $500 US. A P2 about a $1000. Look for outfits and accessories to sweeten the deal.

Stephane
14-Jun-2011, 01:03
The Alpina uses different rails, so interchangeability and adaptibility with the bulk of the sinar accessories may be impaired.
In particular, you may need rails for up to 1m extension (you never know, close up portrait with a long lens), and a intermediate standard that can fit on these rails.
And rail clamps for the alpina rail, not too sure how easy it is to get hold off...

szadow
14-Jun-2011, 03:41
You did fantastic work! Great photoshoot!

Martin_Johansen
14-Jun-2011, 04:14
Thanks everyone, is Sinar the best LF, or is there other alternatives?

Frank Petronio
14-Jun-2011, 04:31
There are many options and that is mostly what is discussed on this forum (rather than how to make quality photos). The Sinar system is excellent and a good value, since it was popular, less expensive used pieces are plentiful. You can "build" whatever type of camera you need, from a compact handheld rollfilm to an 8x10 with 2m of bellows.

But some people prefer smaller field cameras or exotic equipment. As good or better cameras than Sinar include the Arca-Swiss and Linhof systems. There are also Titanium and Wood Ebonies from Japan, Canhams from the USA, older Dearfdorffs, Wistas, Cambos, Toyos, Graflexes, Fatifs, Philipps, and many others that aren't at the tip of tongue.

Of them all, I think Linhofs are the very best but that is a matter of opinion, not fact.

For fashion, some photographers use the 100 year old Graflex SLRs or handheld Polaroid 110s converted to 4x5, Speed Graphics with older lenses, etc. It is a very diverse area.

Martin_Johansen
14-Jun-2011, 19:20
Thanks alot for good info Frank, i have found a Sinar F for sale, around 700 dollars, close to where i live in Norway, so im thinking of buying that one.

I´ve been sneaking on you website, and i love your pictures, you are very creative!

Frank Petronio
14-Jun-2011, 19:29
Prices are half that in the States but buying locally is always best.

Thank you! Please realize that only half (or less) of the pictures are large format (look for film notches).