PDA

View Full Version : Social networking for photographers?

ArtRosen
4-Jun-2011, 22:09
As much as I like this forum, it's difficult to keep up with all of the topics I'm interested in due to my travel schedule. I know of Facebook, but Facebook is just too big for me and I'm afraid someone is going to post a virus on my wall. I was wondering if there were any social networks specifically dedicated for photographers? And if so, which ones are you on and what are your experiences with them?

sultanofcognac
5-Jun-2011, 06:22
Haven't found anything yet that fits my needs/schedule. Just about any network one sets up will be overpopulated quickly. As long as it's kept to a specific topic the membership will be exclusive. I've been an APUG member since medieval times but rarely go there - possibly once per year.

msk2193
5-Jun-2011, 08:56
Art,

I beleive for film (any format) the best source and logically sorted information can be found right here on this site. Just make your searches as specific as possible, and the results will be quite good.

For general photography, try the pixtus.com forum (formerly two seperate forums with concentration of members in California and Texas).

For very constructive criticism of your photos, join the bytephoto.com forum.

Like the previous post, APUG is the one I frequent the very least - it plainly sucks!

David R Munson
5-Jun-2011, 21:16
Art - can you define better what it is that you're looking for? Facebook is great for keeping up with family and friends, but not exactly a place to go to do or read anything relating to photography. Are you looking for a better way to dig up answers to your questions? Or perhaps just have interesting things to peruse in spare moments while on the road?

ArtRosen
7-Jun-2011, 17:06
I'm looking for a social network designed around the wants and needs for a photographer. There are niche social networks out there, just not for photographers.

lilmsmaggie
10-Jun-2011, 10:23
There are many photographer/Photographic forums, etc. out there. In terms of a specific "social network" designed around the wants and needs of a photographer, well, it depends on one's definition. Twitter, Flickr and others were supposed to have fulfilled that need, but ...

Theres also http://www.picturesocial.com and http://www.myshutterspace.com but then again, do they fit your definition of a "Photographer Social Network?"

Sometimes, when you can't find what you're looking for, you find that you become the one winds up filling the void :D

Sirius Glass
10-Jun-2011, 15:04
I have real friends for my photographic social networking.

Steve

ArtRosen
10-Jun-2011, 15:44
I have real friends for my photographic social networking.

Steve

Funny but in today's day and age, you need to get yourself out there in front of tens of thousands of people to get noticed. Everybody's attention span is limited and you need to make sure that what limited attention they do have, you are noticed. If there was a social network where galleries, collectors and photographers could all meet in one place, where photographers could sell their work, advertise it, communicate with each other from all over the world...

Facebook and Twitter are fine, but are too broad. I want something specifically designed for me and other photographers like myself.

Sirius Glass
10-Jun-2011, 17:24
I fly below the RADAR. If one were to search for my name, others would be found but not me. I like it that way.

Besides, with no footprint, prospective employers cannot find a reason not to hire me.

Steve

D. Bryant
11-Jun-2011, 14:02
I fly below the RADAR. If one were to search for my name, others would be found but not me. I like it that way.

Besides, with no footprint, prospective employers cannot find a reason not to hire me.

Steve

Don't be so certain of that ....

Sirius Glass
11-Jun-2011, 14:28
Don't be so certain of that ....

I have searched several times recently with several search engines. After checking each search over a thousand hits, I still had not been found. Other people with the same name, but never me.

Mark Sawyer
11-Jun-2011, 14:57
I'm trying to find a large format photography social networking site where most of the members are beautiful young single women. Any suggestions? :confused: :confused: :confused:

ArtRosen
11-Jun-2011, 15:33

Steve

uhhh...

Jim Ewins
12-Jun-2011, 22:37
I guess I'm too old for this "social networking" and believe in keeping one's counsel. Survival is often dependent upon NOT being noticed.

ArtRosen
14-Jun-2011, 13:42
I guess I'm too old for this "social networking" and believe in keeping one's counsel. Survival is often dependent upon NOT being noticed.

They always say you can teach an old dog new tricks.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11149978/1/survey-social-media-is-a-must-for-business.html?CM_VEN=AD|TWR|JC

"A growing number of global firms agree social media presence brings in new business, resulting in higher revenue and profit."

Dave Jeffery
15-Jun-2011, 03:01
I'm trying to find a large format photography social networking site where most of the members are beautiful young single women. Any suggestions? :confused: :confused: :confused:

New York Democratic Rep. Anthony Weiner might have some ideas about how to transition from cell phone images to LF images?

You can always give the young ladies taxi money and still get on location in time for sunrise.

Mark Sawyer
15-Jun-2011, 10:58
Sorry, Dave. I'll hang out with drunks, hookers, drug addicts, gang members, hardened criminals of every sort... but members of Congress? Sorry, but I have my standards!

Dave Jeffery
15-Jun-2011, 20:49
OT

Sorry, Dave. I'll hang out with drunks, hookers, drug addicts, gang members, hardened criminals of every sort... but members of Congress? Sorry, but I have my standards!

Well said! You must have seen this movie

http://www.sonyclassics.com/insidejob/

Brian Ellis
15-Jun-2011, 22:39

This doesn't make any sense at all. If you hang out with hardened criminals you'll necessarily be hanging out with members of Congress.

Sirius Glass
16-Jun-2011, 05:27
This doesn't make any sense at all. If you hang out with hardened criminals you'll necessarily be hanging out with members of Congress.

No criminals are a better class of people. They have higher standards of behavior.