PDA

View Full Version : 11x14 backpacks

Mike Tobias
28-May-2011, 10:24
Looked through the forums, and it seems it's been a while since this came up (a lot of the links on the old posts don't work), but I need a backpack for my 11x14. It seems that the best option is the Mekko C-39, but I can only find it overseas. I know there are a few people on the forum who have these, any suggestions of where to find one stateside, or should I just order from Asia? Also, any other recommendations of similar packs would be helpful, ideally with enough space to fit 17x17x9. Suggestions?

Mike

cdholden
28-May-2011, 10:30
You may have to wait and pay, but check out http://www.aarnpacks.com/.
This sounds like a sane recommendation considering the load you're taking on (insane!).

Chris

Vaughn
28-May-2011, 10:40
Take a look at these:

http://www.meipacks.com/TravelPacks01.html

The Trekker I and II especially. Not 17x17, though. One is 22x14x9 and the II is 25x14x9, so they may be too small. Good construction, solid zippers. I use one for 8x10.

The next one down, the China Clipper I and II, is 25x16x10 and 27x16x10, but it does not look like the detachable daypack will hold the film holders.

Lachlan 717
28-May-2011, 14:00
I've been looking for a pack for my 7x17 with little luck. Seems that you can get a pck that will fit the camera, but there's no room for the film holders.

In the end, possibly driven both by frustration and by wanting to get out and shoot, I purchased a 90 litre "travel" pack on Friday.

This is the front opening design, not the top opening. The type that has the clip-off day pack. I also bought a set of replacement clips so that I can use the straps from the [removed] day pack to strap on my tripod.

This size pack will allow both camera and holders. I now just need to get some decent foam to make dividers.

For what it's worth, this option was also about a third of the cost for a XXL camera pack!!

Joe Smigiel
28-May-2011, 15:50
Perhaps a French easel backpack would work:http://www.studiopack.com/fe.htm

Jim Fitzgerald
31-May-2011, 19:29
I second vaughn's advice. I have my 11x14 in an MEI pack and it is the best ever. No extra BS padding and stuff that makes it overly heavy. You add what you want. I have one for my 8x10, 11x14 and 8x20 and they all fit just fine. Some have side pockets for additional gear. If you find one with the day pack even better. There are straps to attach holders to the outside for additional holders. Bag weights about 5 lbs. I got 2 more off of e-bay recently and both were something like under 100.00.

Curt
31-May-2011, 19:47
Jim which model did you get?

Curt

Jim Fitzgerald
31-May-2011, 20:24
I think mine are Urail II's. They are big and hold a lot. There are no markings as far as model numbers go. The nice thing is that they adjust better than any pack I have ever owned to fit me. As some of you know I'm not a big guy but I can carry a lot with these packs, and that is the way I like to shoot.

Curt
31-May-2011, 23:44
Great Jim and Vaughn, that's something to definitely look forward to. Thanks.

Kerik Kouklis
1-Jun-2011, 10:18
When I shot 7x17 I carried it in a Lowe Pro Super Trekker. It would easily hold the camera, two or three holders, a couple of lenses and a meter. I no longer have the camera, but the pack is still here. It's for sale if anybody's interested, PM me.

fuegocito
1-Jun-2011, 18:29
I have one of those Mekko backpack for my 11x14 set up and I must say, aside from being a good enough storage case, it is useless as a backpack. The back harness system is largely for show only and will not carry the load far comfortably.

evan clarke
2-Jun-2011, 04:49
I think mine are Urail II's. They are big and hold a lot. There are no markings as far as model numbers go. The nice thing is that they adjust better than any pack I have ever owned to fit me. As some of you know I'm not a big guy but I can carry a lot with these packs, and that is the way I like to shoot.

Jim, The pictures are not so hot on the MEI site. Does the big compartment have a nice square opening so you can just drop the camera (my 11x14 Chamonix) in? I called them yesterday and it will be a month or so before a Eurail II is available..Thanks, Evan Clarke

evan clarke
3-Jun-2011, 17:32
Bump...

jeroldharter
3-Jun-2011, 18:15
Hi Evan,

I used to have an MEI pack for travel that was very similar to the Eurail II model. They do have a squared off top end with a zipper that goes all the way around. So it should open up wide so you can drop that beast in.

evan clarke
4-Jun-2011, 13:46
Hi Evan,

I used to have an MEI pack for travel that was very similar to the Eurail II model. They do have a squared off top end with a zipper that goes all the way around. So it should open up wide so you can drop that beast in.

Hi Jamie, do you remember which one, why did you get rid of it? I think I showed you the camera, didn't I? It is 17" square and it seems all the packs are rated at 16" but the thing might jam itself in..TTYL, Evan

Jim Fitzgerald
5-Jun-2011, 20:19
Evan, sorry I have been away from the computer for a couple of days. My camera is 17" square and fits in the Eurail II. Look on e-bay because you can find them dirt cheap. They have the best zippers I've ever seen and none of that extra foam crap. The do zip all the way down. I get my camera and two lenses in the main compartment. It is a bit snug but fits nice.

evan clarke
6-Jun-2011, 05:18
Evan, sorry I have been away from the computer for a couple of days. My camera is 17" square and fits in the Eurail II. Look on e-bay because you can find them dirt cheap. They have the best zippers I've ever seen and none of that extra foam crap. The do zip all the way down. I get my camera and two lenses in the main compartment. It is a bit snug but fits nice.

Great, Thanks Jim...Evan

George Stewart
6-Jun-2011, 06:01
I have several packs made by Kifaru. If one had protection (like a hard case, etc.) for one's equipment, than this might be the ticket:

https://kifaru.net/longhunter_hauler.html#

Lachlan 717
6-Jun-2011, 10:41
I have several packs made by Kifaru. If one had protection (like a hard case, etc.) for one's equipment, than this might be the ticket:

That's way cooler that the large Alice packs I've been looking at to modify with some sort of hard case. Thanks for posting it!

evan clarke
7-Jun-2011, 05:17

I am carrying mine on a game hauler right now, A bullpac. It works but isn't enclosed enough and there's no place for lenses or holders..carries the camera very well, though.

evan clarke
8-Jun-2011, 13:06
Thanks for the info, Jim. I bought a EurailII from MEI today. The guy said he had one in the warehouse that was dusty and the colors didn't match exactly right, I said does that mean discount? He said yes and that was it...Evan Clarke

Vaughn
8-Jun-2011, 17:10
Cool! Who wants a pristine-looking bag anyway?! The dirtier and mangier looking the better! Congrats!

Jim Fitzgerald
9-Jun-2011, 07:05
Great bags. You are going to love it.

evan clarke
9-Jun-2011, 11:48
Cool! Who wants a pristine-looking bag anyway?! The dirtier and mangier looking the better! Congrats!

That's what I thought, I asked him not to dust it off!! This Chamonix 11x14 is really light, I just love the thing. The kit with this pack, my 3 lenses and my 3 holders will still be lighter than my 4x5 kit. I can't wait to start walking with it, I've been working only from the car because the whole kit's not combined... Evan Clarke