PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a dry mount press

chris_4622
25-May-2011, 07:04
I picked up a used press recently and there appears to be some dried on stuff on the top plate, not a lot but I'd like to clean it. Any ideas how to do it?

thanks
chris

Greg Lockrey
25-May-2011, 07:47
fine grit sand paper

ROL
25-May-2011, 08:41
fine grit sand paper

Yeah, go ahead and try it...

Or,

Curiosity compelled me to take look at the manual for my own Seal Press as this can happen all to easily, even with normal use:

"Bienfang UnStik adhesive-releasing solvent or Bienfang Platen Cleaner (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=bienfang+platen&N=0&InitialSearch=yes) should be used to dissolve and remove difficult deposits as needed. Do not use abrasive materials such as steel wool or gritty cleaners."

...a solvent being the better first approach.

Or,

Call the manufacturer to get direction on the proper way to clean before attacking this rather expensive piece of equipment:

Hunt Corp: 800-873-4868

...and please let us know what they say.

Ed Kelsey
25-May-2011, 08:57
It may be hard to get it perfect enough so it doesn't mar prints.

For mine I used a thin self adhesive silicone sheet that I bought from McMaster Carr. Works great and helps spread the heat evenly.

Mark Sampson
25-May-2011, 09:17
Acetone works well to remove adhesive. The platen cleaner Bienfang sells is like Pond's cold cream and is less effective. I use a sheet of silicone release paper and a piece of mount board between the platen and the print- I never get a dent or scar on the finished print that way.

chris_4622
25-May-2011, 11:30
thanks guys. I'll try the solvent method first, acetone, since I have it already. I'll get some silicone sheets too.