PDA

View Full Version : July 30 Dallas / Ft. Worth LF Gathering

msk2193
23-May-2011, 20:57
Visit historic downtown Pilot Point for some great photo opportunities; both architectural as well as close-up detail of antiques and antique fixtures.

Since it is the midst of summer, we will meet early in the morning - 7:30AM.

Color film photographers might want to be there even earlier! Sunrise today will be at 6:39! Complete side lighting right down W. Main Street will be at 9:17AM. This might provide for some interesting shadows!

Photography opportunities are within 2 blocks on each side of the town square, and we will end with brunch at the local greasy-spoon on the town square between 10:30 and 11. This should have us beat the worst summer heat and humidity!

There are some wonderful murals to photograph here. Google "Bare Nekkid Ladies in Pilot Point" to read up on the most controverisal mural in town!

Estimated drive times from:

Ft. Worth: 1 hr, 10 min
Dallas: 1 hr, 15 min.
Carrollton - 55 min.

Several additional summer events will be posted as plans are confirmed.

Let us know if you're coming by posting to this thread.

Bank building used in the Bonnie & Clyde movie:

http://kan.com/forum/L1041850.jpg

Brunch will be in this restaurant:
http://kan.com/forum/L1041848.jpg

Gem Singer
23-May-2011, 21:34
Pilot Point is an easy ride from my house. One of my favorite places to photograph.

Here is an example of one of the murals painted on the walls around town. This one is located on a side street.

Dr.Pepper is a very popular native Texas soft drink.

J.B. Harlin
23-May-2011, 21:38
Talked me into it. . . that door on the square is one of my favorites. . .

Janice Eddington
24-May-2011, 00:18
OUCH, stop twisting my arm! I will come with my husband, Terry. I only had to twist his arm a little :)

sdenman
24-May-2011, 04:38
Man I think I may have to Join in. I will be looking forward to it.

msk2193
24-May-2011, 05:07
Man I think I may have to Join in. I will be looking forward to it.

Welcome aboard Scott. Rumors have it that your 4x5 is on its way to Dallas! :D

Jeremy Moore
24-May-2011, 06:49
I'm hoping to make it out to this one -- and if I do I'll have new prints to share!

msk2193
24-May-2011, 06:57
Jeremy, since this is near Denton anyway, we can make sure one of us swings by your place to pick you up and drop you off.

Would love to see more of your collection of Brother's clothes and some more models!
Heck, make sure to bring your roommate and some of his incredible work too!!

J.B. Harlin
24-May-2011, 07:40
I would encourage everyone to bring prints to show. It is always interesting to look at cameras and equipment, but the most important thing in photography is the finished product. . . The Print.

Makes no difference what your skill level, film size, or exactly what form your finished work consists of, it is always good to show others what you are doing. We are promoting LF and film, but keep in mind that all of the hardware is just the means to an end, again. . . The Print. . .

So, if you are producing work, please bring it to show everyone what you are doing with all of this hardware. We are there to answer your questions and explain in as much detail as you wish the processes we work in and are familiar with.

Come join us and have some fun. . . we can show you Film Is Not Dead. . . and don’t forget to bring some work to show.

bigdog
24-May-2011, 08:05
Estimated drive times from:

Ft. Worth: 1 hr, 10 min
Dallas: 1 hr, 15 min.
Carrollton - 55 min.

Greater Cedar Hill: 1 hr, 21 minutes. (According to Google Maps) All I know is, it takes me more than 6 minutes to get the 20 miles from Cedar Hill to downtown Dallas ... :cool:

Bob McCarthy
24-May-2011, 08:36
Greater Cedar Hill: 1 hr, 21 minutes. (According to Google Maps) All I know is, it takes me more than 6 minutes to get the 20 miles from Cedar Hill to downtown Dallas ... :cool:

1hr 15 min seems long from

Dallas to Denton to Pilot Point, except at rush hour then everything is off...

You're probably OK.

bob

msk2193
24-May-2011, 08:43
It's on a Saturday; chance of icing is probably nil at this point!

sdenman
24-May-2011, 10:38
Michael thanks for the welcome. I am glad to hear the rumors. Lol. Then the fun will be just beginning.

J.B. Harlin
24-May-2011, 10:45
Michael thanks for the welcome. I am glad to hear the rumors. Lol. Then the fun will be just beginning.

Scott, I would also like to welcome you to the world of LF. . . it is a different way of working, seeing, and creating. . . hope you find it as rewarding as we do!!!

sdenman
24-May-2011, 15:52
JB I am very excited, as is Barbara.

RmFrase
25-May-2011, 05:15
I'll plan on being there too. And bring prints that I forgot to bring this past Saturday.

-Robert

Gem Singer
25-May-2011, 05:35
Lowenbrau is considered to be an upscale imported beer in these parts.

This is Lowbrows beer and wine tavern located across the street from to the town square in Pilot Point, TX.

venchka
25-May-2011, 12:24
Y'all are killing me. Pilot Point looks fabulous. Alas, we will be returning from New Orleans that weekend. I know. It's a crummy trip, but somebody has to do it.
Hopefully I will have prints from New Orleans suitable for sharing at the next shindig.

Janice & David tell me that there is a possiblity of a trip to visit Ty Guillory later in the year. If that happens, my home is only 15-20 minutes east of Ty's place. Everyone is welcome to come visit.

Jeremy Moore
25-May-2011, 16:23
Looks like my roommate and I are in barring anything coming up.

msk2193
25-May-2011, 18:48
A dozen of us this early on!
And more than two months to go.
Looks like big three-legged things will take over the town :eek: :eek:

William McEwen
26-May-2011, 05:52
Will there be a post-photography meal somewhere? (Forgive me if this is covered in an earlier post -- just skimming here...)

msk2193
26-May-2011, 05:58
Bill, see my opening message of this thread.
And, there is even a photo of the interior posted with it!!

Gem Singer
26-May-2011, 06:03
William,

Of course there is. That info is buried in the middle of post #1.

A post-photography meal is included with every DFW photo event.

Take a look at the pictures of last weeks' Hurst shoot. These guys are "chow hounds".

8x20_Pano_Shooter
26-May-2011, 06:54
William,

Of course there is. That info is buried in the middle of post #1.

A post-photography meal is included with every DFW photo event.

Take a look at the pictures of last weeks' Hurst shoot. These guys are "chow hounds".

I don't consider myself a "chow hound".

msk2193
26-May-2011, 07:01
I don't consider myself a "chow hound".

But, you're still a lot of fun to sit next to while us hounds chow. :D

Put a Juevos Ranchero in front of Eugene and he too turns into a gorging pig!

Gem Singer
26-May-2011, 07:27
Susan,

That description doesn't apply to you. You're not a guy.

(Looks like I hit a nerve with the "chow hounds").

Michael,

At least I chew slow enough to enjoy tasting the food before gulping it down.

BTW, Lucy's On The Square, in Celina, recently changed hands. Much to my disappointment, they no longer have Huevos Rancheros on the menu.

Darren H
26-May-2011, 17:38
Pilot Point it is.

Photography and food. What a great pair.

markbwphotog
27-May-2011, 15:20
Hi Guy's, Thanks for the info for the Pilot Point Shoot date. I will plan on attending. I like to shoot in small towns like that also, so, that will be right up my alley. Should be fun!! Thanks, Please include me on the list for the Pilot Point visit.

Mark....

Cletus
25-Jun-2011, 08:12
Count me in! It's been a [very] long season and now, finally, time to get back to making photos again. I'll bring a few "recent" prints and look forward to seeing you all in Pilot Point!

Phil

8x20_Pano_Shooter
11-Jul-2011, 19:56
Don't forget to mark your calendar for the gathering in Pilot Point on July 30th.

J.B. Harlin
23-Jul-2011, 15:38
We are still planning to meet next Saturday. . . Get there early, maybe it will only be in the low 80's about sunrise??? Jay's Cafe on the square should open at 8:00am.

Hope to see everyone there!!!

Richard M. Coda
23-Jul-2011, 16:06
Lowenbrau is considered to be an upscale imported beer in these parts.

This is Lowbrows beer and wine tavern located across the street from to the town square in Pilot Point, TX.

Wow.. I could spend all day on that corner.

And I used to drink Lowenbrau's in HS... been a long time.

markbwphotog
23-Jul-2011, 16:27
The Bank Building looks really cool. I love shooting stuff like that. I will be there too and will look forward to seeing everyone.

8x20_Pano_Shooter
24-Jul-2011, 09:04
Even if there is a chance of rain, we are going to meet in Pilot Point. In Texas, you NEVER turn down a chance for rain. Especially when it hasn't rained in a VERY long time. See everybody on Saturday on the square.

bigdog
24-Jul-2011, 14:33
The Bank Building looks really cool. I love shooting stuff like that. I will be there too and will look forward to seeing everyone.

Just a sec. Let me turn down my hearing aid ... :eek:

Rick Floyd
24-Jul-2011, 15:29
This looks too good to pass up...count me in. Thanks!!

J.B. Harlin
25-Jul-2011, 19:36
We will retreat early for breakfast at Jay's Cafe and Historical Museum (http://jayscafepilotpoint.com/default.aspx). Be sure to check their Breakfast Menu (http://jayscafepilotpoint.com/BreakfastMenu.aspx).

msk2193
26-Jul-2011, 20:52
I am in!
Just back from way too many weeks away having fun in all the wrong places (for LF).
I plan to be there no later than 6:30. Sunrise is around 6:15 and it should be a great spot for sunrise shooting.
See y'all there.

sdenman
27-Jul-2011, 20:36
I can not wait. I am bring another buddy that is a 4 x 5 shooter.

Bob McCarthy
28-Jul-2011, 08:44
Wow.. I could spend all day on that corner.

And I used to drink Lowenbrau's in HS... been a long time.

Lowenbrau in the 60's-70s was imported and very good. Then they started making it in N. America. Watery, thin, piss.... is the North American interpretation. Sorry if any of you never had the real stuff.

Unfortunately when a brewer moves production to the USA, the beer is ruined. Heineken is another example.

bob

8x20_Pano_Shooter
28-Jul-2011, 14:29
I can not wait. I am bring another buddy that is a 4 x 5 shooter.

Great! The more the merrier.

Janice Eddington
30-Jul-2011, 09:42
It was a great time. Thanks Michael for putting this together.

msk2193
30-Jul-2011, 10:53
Great turnout today.
Fifteen photographers in all, ranging in age from 28 to 82.
See you at the next gathering in a few weeks.

Janice Eddington
30-Jul-2011, 13:36
Since some of you did not arrive until the sun was up.....
Here is a shot of the garage.
http://jeddington.smugmug.com/photos/i-THfFNQM/0/XL/i-THfFNQM-XL.jpg

Or BW
http://jeddington.smugmug.com/photos/i-WzSTm8b/0/XL/i-WzSTm8b-XL.jpg

The most fun shot:
http://jeddington.smugmug.com/photos/i-CScqW2D/0/XL/i-CScqW2D-XL.jpg

And the "soul" of Pilot Point:
http://jeddington.smugmug.com/photos/i-ZcT4v9p/0/XL/i-ZcT4v9p-XL.jpg

J.B. Harlin
30-Jul-2011, 14:09
Great fun everyone. . . Like the BW of the station Janice!!!! If we could just get rid of this hot weather. . .

sdenman
30-Jul-2011, 14:42
I had a great time. I have a long ways to go but thanks for help getting started.

bigdog
30-Jul-2011, 14:45
Just part of the group ...

msk2193
30-Jul-2011, 15:49
Janice, this is what the pump looked like before the town got on its renovation kick.
Still a great little town to visit.
I had fun indeed, thanks for being there.

8x20_Pano_Shooter
30-Jul-2011, 17:26
It was a little warm but we had a great time today. We got to meet some new photographers. . .

Gem Singer
30-Jul-2011, 17:46
This is what that Pilot Point gas station looked like eighteen months ago.

msk2193
7-Aug-2011, 07:52
For someone who has been missing for quite a while, it took a lot of time, but he was found.......

Gem Singer
7-Aug-2011, 10:27
Michael,

You have until the end of Sept. to catch the exhibit at the Irving Arts Center. Perhaps you can organize a get together for the DFW Large Format Group.

"The Genghis Khan Exhibition". The same last name as yours. Perhaps he was a distant relative?