PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use their exhausted D-23 as a Hypo Clear post fixing?

Jim Galli
18-May-2011, 07:34
Considering D23 for one shot use on the large quantity inches sq. from a Cirkut camera. Tanning developers sometimes leave edge effects with a giant piece of film like that. But a thought I had for the experts; do you save the poured off developer and use it again for a 2nd washing bath. With all of that Sodium Sulfite, once the film is fixed, it should act like a Hypo Clearing Agent.

Ken Lee
18-May-2011, 07:35
If you use an alkaline fixer, you won't need Hypo Clearing Agent.

Jim Galli
18-May-2011, 07:38
If you use an alkaline fixer, you won't need Hypo Clearing Agent.

Really? That's the first I've read that. Can you point me to more info? Thanks.

Ken Lee
18-May-2011, 07:42
I have to run, but I'll dig it up later if someone else hasn't by the time I return.

It's in one of Anchell's books. He mentions it many times.

Mark Sampson
18-May-2011, 08:21
I'm no photo chemist, but I'd think that there are all sorts of leftovers in the used D-23 that won't help the stability of your negative. Sulfite and bisulfite are awfully cheap, I'd use fresh HCA if not using TF-4 fixer.

Ken Lee
18-May-2011, 10:46
According to Anchell and Troop, in The Film Developing Cookbook (http://www.amazon.com/Film-Developing-Cookbook-Darkroom-Vol/dp/0240802772), Alkaline Fixers have the following advantages over more traditional Acidic formulas (pp. 106):

Less danger of over-fixing
Shorter washing times
More archival
Greater capacity
More stable
Can be formulated to have low odor

pp. 105 (emphasis mine):

"With the gutting of the Kodak Research Laboratory in the 1980's practically all major research into the nature of the fixing process has come to a halt. At the time of the purge, preliminary findings were that sodium thiosulfate fixers were not adequate for modern films and papers. Some Kodak researchers went so far as to suggest that thiosulfate should be replaced by more stable chemicals, but layoffs ended further investigation."

"The most current research indicates that sodium thiosulfate, the photographer's standby for most of the 20th century, cannot adequately fix modern films of papers. This appears to be due to the increased use of iodide in contemporary films and papers. If an acid fixer is to be used, use only "rapid" fixers based on ammonium thiosulfate."

..."Hypo clearing agent is only necessary when an acid fixer is used."

They strongly recommend TF-3 (http://www.digitaltruth.com/data/tf3.php) (which you can mix yourself or purchase) and TF-4 (http://stores.photoformulary.com/-strse-148/TF-dsh-4-Archval-Fixer%2C-Swan/Detail.bok), which is a proprietary available from Photographer's Formulary.

Jim Galli
18-May-2011, 11:27
Thanks Ken. Learned something new today. Been using the TF-4 but may look into mixing my own TF-3 since I'm a cheapskate.

Ken Lee
18-May-2011, 11:34
Thanks Ken. Learned something new today. Been using the TF-4 but may look into mixing my own TF-3 since I'm a cheapskate.

I mix my own TF-3 ;)

These days when developing film, I mix some D-23 and some TF-3 fresh each time. Water is the stop bath.

There are only 2 ingredients for D-23, and 3 ingredients for TF-3. It's wonderful: no need to worry if stock solution has gone bad. Did I mention that there's no need to worry about the longevity of stock solution ?

EdWorkman
20-May-2011, 09:42
JIm
I use oneshot developer as the first rinse after fix
I assume the sulphite should work well, as you ask.
If the US navy discovered seawater was HCA why not?
What worse things could be in used used D-23?
BUt I also use real HCA after that first rinse :>)
How is tray developing of Cirkut film going?
i have a roll to develope awaiting receipt of a pair of gonads to try again after the last spooling fiasco.

Jim Noel
20-May-2011, 10:27
I don't discard D-23. I save it and re-use it for total development of negatives exposed in very flat conditions in order to build contrast. When I was at the college I would take the D-23 from the deep tanks after a semester of use and keep it for just this purpose.

Jim Galli
20-May-2011, 11:17
I mix my own TF-3 ;)

These days when developing film, I mix some D-23 and some TF-3 fresh each time. Water is the stop bath.

There are only 2 ingredients for D-23, and 3 ingredients for TF-3. It's wonderful: no need to worry if stock solution has gone bad. Did I mention that there's no need to worry about the longevity of stock solution ?

Dan't argue with success. Your stuff is always...........perfect. ;)

Jim Galli
20-May-2011, 11:19
JIm
I use oneshot developer as the first rinse after fix
I assume the sulphite should work well, as you ask.
If the US navy discovered seawater was HCA why not?
What worse things could be in used used D-23?
BUt I also use real HCA after that first rinse :>)
How is tray developing of Cirkut film going?
i have a roll to develope awaiting receipt of a pair of gonads to try again after the last spooling fiasco.

Gonad's must be on backorder. I've got a shot sitting in the camera since November of 2009 undeveloped. I just bought 4 long rolls of 9.5 Plus X from Hugo, so no excuses.