PDA

View Full Version : Gigantic DIY Ultra-large Format Film Camera

ArtRosen
18-May-2011, 06:09
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2011/05/gigantic-diy-ultra-large-format-film-camera.html

Searching for a way to enlarge some 8″x10″ prints without going digital, photographer (and close friend) Darren Samuelson decided to forego using an enlarger and instead built a gigantic ultra-large format camera capable of taking pictures on 14″x36″ X-Ray film. Taking over six months to complete, when fully extended the enormous hand-made bellows camera is close to six feet long. In this short by videographer Matthew Sultan, Samuelson talks about his process while on a photo shoot at Lands End in San Francisco.

Next week Samuelson will be embarking on a road trip, taking his camera along a route from New Orleans to New York, stopping off at points between. You can follow his progress on his blog and view images taken with the camera here.

Brian C. Miller
18-May-2011, 07:55
Neat! I've been planning on doing that. The camera, not the road trip.

Kerry L. Thalmann
18-May-2011, 09:19
Cool, a banquet format camera that makes 12x20 seem petite.

X-ray film is also plentiful and very affordable in the 14x17 size. Ready made cameras and film holders from multiple manufacturers are also available in 14x17, for those looking for a slightly more practical ULF format for shooting with x-ray film.

Kerry

Tri Tran
18-May-2011, 09:31
Way to go ! It's definitely a great Pano format. Looks like you had uneven developed negatives and major light leaks through holder . What lens are you using with the camera and how many hands did you use to load the negative?
BTW to minimize the bellow drawns. I have tried this format with 24 in Red dot Artar and the lens does covered the format. Keep that in mind!
Good luck and enjoy the format.

EdWorkman
18-May-2011, 09:38
very COOL
I second Tri's question- What lenses provide an IC of around 1000mm-40 inches?

Tri Tran
18-May-2011, 09:43
very COOL
I second Tri's question- What lenses provide an IC of around 1000mm-40 inches?

24 -30-35 in Artar will take care of this format. Why go fancy? You don't really need anything else beside to make ULF dream come true but i would like to know what lens is mounted on his camera.

Kerry L. Thalmann
18-May-2011, 10:06
A 42" Red Dot Artar, or it's modern equivalent, the 1100mm Super Symmar XXL, would make a good "normal" lens for this format, and the 35" Red Dot Artar would make a great, slightly wide lens. For something a little wider (about half the format diagonal), a 19" Dagor would probably work.

Kerry

GPS
18-May-2011, 10:13
Unfortunately, some b-moll is imposing itself... From a constructional point of view the camera is not a job done well. The first mistake, very common, is to think that a bigger camera is just an up-scaling of the smaller model. It is not - the bigger dimension changes many requirements concerning the rigidity of the construction, to mention just one aspect. The second mistake, calling loud, is the use of one only tripod. To make 6 feet bellows expansion rigid and stable on one tripod in windy conditions or not is a unnecessary problem. The camera calls for 2 tripods with much better rigidity. Other details could be mentioned too...

Kerry L. Thalmann
18-May-2011, 10:21
From reading his blog, it looks like he's using two lenses. He's using the rear cell of a 300/500mm Convertible Symmar as his wide angle, and seems to be getting a little vignetting in some of the shots. The rear cell of a 360/620mm Convertible Symmar would probably give him full coverage with a little room for movements.

The long lens is a 1210mm. He doesn't mention the make or model, but I'm guessing it's an APO Nikkor. If it was an Artar, the focal length would be engraved in inches (47 1/2") not millimeters.

Kerry

Heespharm
18-May-2011, 10:36
Yeah his reasoning of the whole kicking out his roommate is kinda bogus.... I mean he could have put all that money into renting a space and enlarging 8x10... Instead he uses sub optimal film and many of his prints are unevenly developed... So in the end he spends thousands on a toy camera.....

I dunno I mean hats off to him, he pulled it off and it's a fantastic marvel/achievement... I would have gone a more practical route

EdWorkman
18-May-2011, 11:20
Thanks Kerry- I couldn't make the video run and got lost in the blog
But HEY I HAVE a convertible 360 Symmar- who knew.
Fortunately i have too many projects already.
A lot of trouble to go to when he could get a superhiprecisiondigital and cheap prints at WalMart.
So he's made what- six or 8 exposures?- and the improvement curve is going well.
Bravo!
Will this prod Jim Fitzgerald to go the next step?

Kerry L. Thalmann
18-May-2011, 12:15
Yeah his reasoning of the whole kicking out his roommate is kinda bogus.... I mean he could have put all that money into renting a space and enlarging 8x10... Instead he uses sub optimal film and many of his prints are unevenly developed... So in the end he spends thousands on a toy camera.....

I dunno I mean hats off to him, he pulled it off and it's a fantastic marvel/achievement... I would have gone a more practical route

The reasaons behind something like this are rarely rational. The motivation varies by individual and project. Some people just like to try to overcome the technical challenges of a project of this magnitude. Others just like to do something no one else (or very few people) are doing. There are certainly easier ways to get large negatives for making large contact prints, if that was the only goal (I suspect it wasn't).

In any case, he has shown determination and has already overcome many obstacles. One would hope that someone handy enough to make a camera and film holders in this size would also be handy, determined and capable enough to overcome the remaining technical obstacles (light leaks and uneven development) to get more consistent results for his considerable efforts.

I'm compartively lazy. If I was going to be shooting ULF with x-ray film, I'd stick to 14x17. I already have the camera, some holders, lenses, film hangers, etc. And, if I didn't have these things, they are readily available from a number of sources (cameras from Canham, Lotus, Richard Ritter and Chamonix, holders from AWB, S$S and Fidelity). I still have a freezer full of conventional 14x17 film of several types (FP4+, TMAX 400, various Efke, Bergger and even some old Photo Warehouse and J&C house brands) that I may never need to resort to x-ray film, but if I ever do, it's nice to know that it's plentiful and a very affordable option in the 14x17 size.

For those who don't know, 14x17 is one of the most common sizes used for medical imaging. It's the format of choice for chest x-rays, mamography, heart and lung MRIs, etc. Therefore, there is a large variety of medical imaging and copy films available from several manufacturers in this size. It's also possible to still get things like new stainless steel developing tanks and film hangers in this size. The film can be developed in trays, tanks/hangers (including gaseous burst agitation) or print drums. IMHO, other than the physical size and weight, this makes it one of the most practical of all the ULF formats. It's also a very nice size for contact prints.

Kerry

dsphotog
19-May-2011, 15:11
Doesn't matter if it works or not.
The thing is a total chick magnet. (Wanna look under my darkcloth?)
Red bellows woulda been better.

ic-racer
19-May-2011, 18:47
Searching for a way to enlarge some 8″x10″ prints without going digital, photographer (and close friend) Darren Samuelson decided to forego using an enlarger and instead built a gigantic ultra-large format camera capable of taking pictures on 14″x36″ X-Ray film.

What??

"Searching for a way to get up off the sofa and answer the doorbell without walking, I developed a miniature indoor aircraft to carry me to the door..."

:)

darrenjs
20-May-2011, 09:41
Wow, I just read this thread. I had no idea that this story would be that interesting. Fortunately, my very intelligent friends did, and made sure that I documented it. The video sounds a bit confusing for those in the know, like most all of you here.

The camera idea came about, I guess, when I bought some 8x10 x-ray film on ebay. I had already read about people using it, and a radiology tech friend of mine had explained how they process it with pretty much the same chemicals that I use at home. The moment I saw a really sharp image taken with this film, I was more than willing to learn how to handle it properly to avoid all the scratching, etc. I started seeing these larger sizes, and remember when I first saw 14x36 inch film. I wondered if it would there existed any lens which could possibly cover something that size, so I did some research and came up with a few possibilities. Then I started looking into bellows material, etc. Once I had enough info, and at encouragement of a few friends, I decided to build the camera. I didn't have access to any tools other than a drill, dremel, sander, circular saw, and hand tools, so it wasn't easy making some of those metal parts. It took about 6 months of untold hours and created a big mess everywhere in my apartment, but for me, it was worth it, and I know that not everybody here would agree with that. It's not the best construction job, sure, but it does what it needs to do, and I'll continue to make it better.

I'm going to be on the road for the next 5 weeks all over the US from New Orleans, through the south, up the east coast, and back to California across the plains, so hopefully I'll get some good shots. Also, I have another tripod which supports the rear when I use the 1210mm APO Nikkor, which usually isn't an issue. I've only shot once(indoors with no supporting tripod) with the bellows fully extended and it was a frightening experience.Those still shots of the camera with the bellows fully extended were just for effect.

Mike Anderson
20-May-2011, 10:33
Wow, I just read this thread. I had no idea that this story would be that interesting....

It is an interesting story. Keep us posted.

...Mike

EdWorkman
20-May-2011, 10:40
Darren
Good luck
Thanks for the reminder of the energy I [must have?] had years ago.
Nice job
forget this-
"Searching for a way to get up off the sofa and answer the doorbell without walking, I developed a miniature indoor aircraft to carry me to the door..."
There's always wet-plate :>))

tgtaylor
20-May-2011, 15:40
Thanks for the post Darren and good luck with the project. Say hello to everyone for me when you get to the Crescent City.

I purchased an 8x10 camera in April and reading this post got me interested in trying 8x10 X-ray film!

Thomas

Jim Fitzgerald
23-May-2011, 17:06
Ed, no 14x36 in my future. My 14x17 was built mainly because I could get x-ray film in this size. Kerry is right about it being the most practical size. I can set mine up with no help at all. It takes time and I have 4 holders to use. I've got plenty of lenses that cover and need to get it out and shoot it now that I've finished building it. I even have a backpack that I can haul the thing in.I'd like to at some point get some traditional film but looking at the cost vs x-ray film that may be some time off.
If I could find some Bergger 200 or Efke 25 in this size I'd be set.