PDA

View Full Version : Getting a scanner for 8x10 color and B&W film: Epson 700/750/10,000XL

Asher Kelman
15-May-2011, 16:23
With Vuescan software, it would seem that there's no need for spending the extra to go for the V750, apart from the extra software and antiglare glass and wet mount film holders. So if solely using Vuescan it seems to me that the V700 should do as well as the V750. I wonder if anyone knows.

If doing wet-mount scans, I'd get 3rd part holders anyway.

The 10,000 XL seems to have the advantage of a higher native resolution, accurate adjustable focus and being able to take larger film.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Asher

Alan Gales
15-May-2011, 17:26
I have been researching Epson scanners myself. I don't know anything about the 10,000 XL except that I can't afford it.

From what I have learned both the V700 and V750 produce pretty much identical scans in the real world. The real reason to buy the V750 is for the extra software. Many people seem to think that the extra software alone is worth the extra cost of the V750.

I hope this helps.

Alan

Asher Kelman
15-May-2011, 23:25
I have been researching Epson scanners myself. I don't know anything about the 10,000 XL except that I can't afford it.

From what I have learned both the V700 and V750 produce pretty much identical scans in the real world. The real reason to buy the V750 is for the extra software. Many people seem to think that the extra software alone is worth the extra cost of the V750.

I hope this helps.

Alan

Alain,

The truth is that the software to use is Vuescan, (and that I already have), so that the bundled software is not likely to be of value.

The claim is "Professional Optics" but it's unclear what that means. With the holders, the scan area is only 5x7 at high resolution so that's an issue to be considered and the reason for looking at the 10000XL Expression scanner too.

Asher

Alan Gales
16-May-2011, 10:48
Hello Asher,

Of course if you don't need the included software the V700 would be a better choice for you than the V750. I was just telling you what I had learned.

I was considering the V750 for myself due to the better Silverfast software over that of the V700.

How is the Vuescan better than the Silverfast? I might want to reconsider the V700.

Thanks,

Alan

Alan Gales
16-May-2011, 10:55
Asher,

The V700 and V750 scan 8x10 without using a holder. You only use holders for smaller formats. From what I have read the Epson holders are known to be flimsy and it is highly recommended to buy aftermarket holders.

Alan

Asher Kelman
16-May-2011, 14:39
Thanks again for your thoughts, Alan.

Vuescan is one of the most up to date versatile and clever programs ever. Two updates come out per week! It covers hundreds of scanners, has built in fixes for many films and can extend the dynamic range of the scanner by scanning darks then lights and combining them.

I'd hope someone who knows the V700 series and then more sophisticated options such as the 10,000 XL Epson Expression and used refurbished higher end scanners, to share their experience.

I'm wondering whether the v700 or the 10,000 XL are good enough for high quality digital negatives for printing up to 4 ft x 5 ft.

Asher

Asher,

The V700 and V750 scan 8x10 without using a holder. You only use holders for smaller formats. From what I have read the Epson holders are known to be flimsy and it is highly recommended to buy aftermarket holders.

Alan

venchka
16-May-2011, 14:46
...I'm wondering whether the v700 or the 10,000 XL are good enough for high quality digital negatives for printing up to 4 ft x 5 ft.

Asher

I was going to cast a vote for EpsonScan software. However, your requirements greatly exceed mine.
Good luck.

Alan Gales
16-May-2011, 15:35
Thanks again for your thoughts, Alan.

... I'm wondering whether the v700 or the 10,000 XL are good enough for high quality digital negatives for printing up to 4 ft x 5 ft.

Asher

For high quality prints at 4 ft x 5 ft I think you may have to buy a used drum scanner instead of a flat bed scanner.

Hopefully someone with some experience will post on here with a good answer for you.

Alan

Asher Kelman
16-May-2011, 20:47
For high quality prints at 4 ft x 5 ft I think you may have to buy a used drum scanner instead of a flat bed scanner.

Hopefully someone with some experience will post on here with a good answer for you.

Alan

Likely, what really want to print large will be worth sending for a custom drum scan!

So I'm not really out of anyone's league, LOL!