PDA

View Full Version : Process lenses as enlarger lenses???

Leigh
15-May-2011, 14:36
I'm wondering about using process lenses like the Red Dot Artars as enlarger lenses.

I'm thinking of building an 8x10 enlarger and these would seem an appropriate option.

At first glance they have great specs, like full apo correction, flat field, and very low distortion.

The lenses for my Beseler 45MXT are all Apo-Componons, but there's no lens available in that series long enough for the 8x10 format.

Has anybody actually done this? Thoughts, suggestions, ???

TIA

- Leigh

ic-racer
15-May-2011, 15:28
Especially good for 8x10, where your magnification ratios are not so great. If you already have the lens that is great. If you are buying a lens, I'd just go with a dedicated enlarging lens unless on a budget. I have a 305 Eskofot Ultragon that I got in a box of stuff. It works very very well as an 8x10 enlarging lens. Better in the corners than a 240 or 250mm.

Schneider never made a high magnification apo-Componon in 240, 300 or 360. Rodentock did make the G-series high magnfication lenses in 300 and 360, but, unless you are doing wall sized prints, a conventional enlarging lens or process lens will work very well.

Leigh
15-May-2011, 15:30
If you are buying a lens, I'd just go with a dedicated enlarging lens.
I will be buying a lens. The problem is I can't find a good (as in apo) enlarging lens in an appropriate focal length.

The Apo-Componon series stops at 150mm, and I want something 240mm or longer.

Thanks.

- Leigh

Bob Salomon
15-May-2011, 16:10
I will be buying a lens. The problem is I can't find a good (as in apo) enlarging lens in an appropriate focal length.

Thanks.

- Leigh

There aren't any. The Rodagon 240 is as good as it gets unless you will be doing mural printing. Then it would be the Rodagon G, but it isn't any good for low magnification printing.

Leigh
15-May-2011, 16:24
Hi Bob,

I couldn't find the 240 Rodagon in stock anywhere. Do you know of anybody with a new one?

Is it an apo? My Linos datasheet does not say one way or the other, so I assume not.

Thanks.

- Leigh

Drew Wiley
15-May-2011, 16:46
If you want readily available process lenses at a reasonably low price, there are some Apo Nikkors which excel for 8x10 enlarging. Not as fast as dedicated enlarging
lenses (about a stop slower), but optically superior to most, especially if you get a
relatively modern sample. I use both 305 and 360 for 8x10.

ic-racer
15-May-2011, 17:33

Thanks.

- Leigh

Ok since you will be buying you can choose whatever will work best. In my experience the process lenses work well at 1:1 (210mm to 300mm).

For 2x up to 8x I'd use any 300mm enlarging lens out there (Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikkor, others too)

For greater than 8x its pretty much Rodagon-G territory. The other option recommended by Durst is to go to horizontal mode and or use a slightly longer 'standard' lens like a 360mm Componon(S) or Nikkor 360mm.

In terms of where to look; on ebay there is a $150 Apo Nikkor 360mm (not in the enlarging lens section) and in the enlarging lens section there are about 8 lenses (240mm to 360mm) listed with prices all over the board.

neil poulsen
15-May-2011, 22:09
From what I've heard, process lenses have optimum apertures, which is often f22. If you can use a process lens that covers at its optimum aperture within its optimum magnification range, then you have a good lens. I have an Apo Rodagon that's a process lens. (Apo-Rodagons of smaller focal lengths are enlarger lenses.) I can use it in my enlarger at f16, which is it's optimum aperture, and it's optimum range is 3:1 to 1:3. It'll work great.

With that said, you can find 240mm Componons for reasonable prices that may work. These days, enlarger lenses are very reasonably priced.

Bob Salomon
16-May-2011, 02:27
Hi Bob,

I couldn't find the 240 Rodagon in stock anywhere. Do you know of anybody with a new one?

Is it an apo? My Linos datasheet does not say one way or the other, so I assume not.

Thanks.

- Leigh
It is out of production and has been for many years, same with the G. You would only be able to find new ones. No, they were not APo lenses. Rodenstock never made an Apo enlarging lens longer then 180mm. Any Apo Rodagon or the Apo enlarging lens that Beseler sold were process lenses and the Rodagon and Rodagon G 240 lenses out performed them for making prints.

Leigh
16-May-2011, 05:22
OK. Thanks.

- Leigh

Drew Wiley
16-May-2011, 08:21
Don't worry about that "optimum aperture" stuff. An appropriate focal length Apo Nikkor
is going to be sharper wide open than most enlarging lenses at their ideal f-stop. And by f/11 things are as sharp as they're going to get. The problem with wide-open per se
is going to be eveness of illumination, which really optimizes one stop down, and is fine
from there. Another problem you're going to have with true f/5.6 or 6.3 enlarging lenses at comparable focal length is that they're huge and heavy. Not every enlarger
lensboard is capable of supporting them. Apo Nikkors are nice and small. For 8x10 work
you can use any aperture from f/11 to f/45 and get superb results (though I'd avoid the smaller apertures for true mural-sized work; but with something like a 20X24 or
even 30X40 print, there won't be enough magnification to make the effects of diffraction visible in the print).

Bob Salomon
16-May-2011, 09:31
From what I've heard, process lenses have optimum apertures, which is often f22.

For process lenses shorter then 600mm that is correct. That is the aperture that all proscess lenses were speced for. F32 for longer ones.

Allen in Montreal
16-May-2011, 09:40
I have the 240 and the 300 Rodagon, really nice glass.

If you go the route that Drew suggests, I have an Apo Nikkor 300 f 9, I bought new and have used it once, you can have it cheap, great and very sharp lens.
I am moving soon, and 8x10 is not going to fit in the long term picture sadly. :(

If you want readily available process lenses at a reasonably low price, there are some Apo Nikkors which excel for 8x10 enlarging. Not as fast as dedicated enlarging
lenses (about a stop slower), but optically superior to most, especially if you get a
relatively modern sample. I use both 305 and 360 for 8x10.

Don Dudenbostel
16-May-2011, 09:48
I used a 240 g claron for years with excelent results. I felt it performed as well as any enlarging lens I've used.