PDA

View Full Version : Raw chemicals n.e. Ohio

Dcohio
14-May-2011, 13:38
I've done a couple quick searches while at work this weekend but came up with nothing. Was just curious if anyone knows of a supplier in the n.e. Ohio area where I could get chemicals to start mixing my own chemistry and for alt. processes. I have no problems ordering from B&S or photo formulary but would also like to support local business' too, plus that way I cut out shipping and hazmat(when it applies). I haven't settled on certain formulas yet to try and I really don't know about shelf life of some things so a local supplier would be nice. Thank you in advance, Doug

Gem Singer
14-May-2011, 14:11
Don't believe that there are any suppliers of of raw chemicals for alt. process photography located in NE Ohio.

Midwest Photo Exchange, in Columbus,OH, might handle a few pre-packaged photo chemicals for general photography.

The nearest supplier of raw chemicals for alt. process photography is Artcraft Chemicals, in Altamont, NY. (www.artcraftchemicals.com).

Have you tried Bostick Sullivan, in NM? (www.bostick-sullivan.com)

Dcohio
14-May-2011, 14:54
I have no problems ordering from anybody that supports film and photographers but was just would like to support local companies too. Shelf life and screw ups is what I'm worried about then having to wait to reorder. Just was curious if anybody knew of a source. Thanks, Doug

panchro-press
14-May-2011, 15:03
Alas, I know of no N.E. Ohio source for alternative photographic process chemicals. You might find some of the more conventional bulk chemicals at Dodds Camera professional store on Carnegie in Cleveland.
If you find a place, please let me know.

Dave

Graybeard
14-May-2011, 15:14
I've done a couple quick searches while at work this weekend but came up with nothing. Was just curious if anyone knows of a supplier in the n.e. Ohio area where I could get chemicals to start mixing my own chemistry and for alt. processes. I have no problems ordering from B&S or photo formulary but would also like to support local business' too, plus that way I cut out shipping and hazmat(when it applies). I haven't settled on certain formulas yet to try and I really don't know about shelf life of some things so a local supplier would be nice. Thank you in advance, Doug

A simple approach would be to check your yellow pages (or whatever the equivalent is these days) for local (commodity) chemical suppliers. I'm able to purchase sodium sulfite and sodium thiosulfite inexpensively, locally, in 40-50lb sacks here from a nearby vendor. One sack will be the minimum purchase from such a commodity vendor. The sulfite here is even certified "photo grade". Cash on the counter and they will put it into the trunk of my car. There are many uses for these materials, especially in dairy sanitation, and commodity chemical vendors are to be found everywhere if you look. You may be astonished at how inexpensively you can homebrew your own darkroom solutions this way (Anchell's book(s) will prove quite handy).

Sodium carbonate and sodium borate are available at your supermarket as washing soda and borax. For acetic acid, use white vinegar, correcting for the common 5% concentration. Sodium hydroxide can be found in a hardware store as Red Devil Lye (become familiar with the safety precautions needed when using sodium hydroxide no matter the source AND WEAR SAFETY GLASSES).

I obtain my developing agents from Artcraft - for me that is a local supplier and his prices are about as low as you will find. If Artcraft doesn't list something that you need, ask, via an eMail message. He sometimes has materials on hand that don't appear in his website listing.

If you don't have one already, buy an inexpensive digital acale from one of the eBay vendors. These make life much simpler when you are making up solutions.

Dcohio
14-May-2011, 15:25
Thank you greybeard, I figured it may be the way I was searching. Dave, I've heard of Dodd's but never been. My old room mate told me of a place up by cleveland that specialized in analog materials but I forgot the name. The last time I've been to midwest photo I dont remember seeing any raw chems but that was a long time ago. They have top notch service though, very helpful. Thanks again, Doug

Louie Powell
14-May-2011, 17:02
"Nearest" is not an applicable concept. The problem is that there simply aren't very many suppliers. B&S, Photographer's Formulary, and Artcraft are pretty much the only dealers who sell photographic chemicals.

All three are very reputable outfits.

Pawlowski6132
14-May-2011, 19:14
What are u worried about? Just order from formulary and be done with it.