PDA

View Full Version : Thomas duplex safelight

tim loose
9-May-2011, 14:05
Anyone have experience finding replacement filters for these safelights. I can find the bulb but no filters. Is it possible to make filters by sandwiching rubylith between two sheets of glass?
Thanks in Advance.

Allen in Montreal
10-May-2011, 05:57
Tim,

Many people make their own, but you can buy them at Freestyle for 50.00
They are out of stock at this very moment, but I would imagine they will get more in soon.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/42135-Thomas-BandW-Safelight-Filter-Only-FBD-Set-Includes-2-Filters

Anyone have experience finding replacement filters for these safelights. I can find the bulb but no filters. Is it possible to make filters by sandwiching rubylith between two sheets of glass?
Thanks in Advance.

Graybeard
10-May-2011, 07:19
Tim,

Many people make their own, but you can buy them at Freestyle for 50.00
They are out of stock at this very moment, but I would imagine they will get more in soon.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/42135-Thomas-BandW-Safelight-Filter-Only-FBD-Set-Includes-2-Filters

Rubylith looks to be a good filter material for the smaller filters in the doors on the Thomas safelight but what would be a suitable filter material for the yellow filters that fit inside the safelight housing?

cyrus
10-May-2011, 07:24
Deep amber Rosco gel filters. But you may consider spending the money on the LED lights instead as they're more versatile - particularly if you get the dimmable types

rjmeyer314
10-May-2011, 07:49
Calumet used to carry the filters. I don't know if they still do.

shadow images
13-May-2011, 14:06
I use rubylith and amberlith. Have used on mine for years. Also but together a set for a friend.

IanMazursky
13-May-2011, 14:10
Since i have a bunch of large sheets of RubyLith, i will replace mine as they’re falling apart.
Should i back them with wax paper or something else? I see from the originals that they had a thin sheet of something behind the red filter.

Im not sure that mine is complete, i can put the filters above the bulb but what goes into the slots on the veins?
Its a smaller slot then the glass filters so i assume its something thats either opaque or translucent?
Thanks!

Graybeard
26-May-2011, 06:33
I've just replaced the yellow filters in a Thomas safelight using the Rosco Deep Amber Gel as was suggested by Cyrus.

Once I stripped the tape from the edges of the glass plates, I discovered that the old degraded filters were firmly gluing the glass plates together. I soaked the glass plate/filter sandwich in warm soapy water; after about 30 minutes I was able to gently slide the two glass plates apart. The now gelatinous old filter material could be scraped easily from the glass plate with a razor blade.

Perhaps someone else will find this information helpful.