PDA

View Full Version : spotone

thefilmguy2009
7-May-2011, 18:25
I bought some unopened spotone on cragislist today. Do you think it's still good?

Mark Sampson
7-May-2011, 19:37
Spotone is water-soluble. So even if it's dried-up you can still use it. Of course some practice on non-final prints would be prudent...

Roger Thoms
7-May-2011, 20:08
I bought some unopened spotone on cragislist today. Do you think it's still good?

Yes.

I brush a little on a plate and let it dry out then moisten my brush, blot excess water off brush the pick up a bit of spot on the brush.

I found this thread helpful. http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/88296-i-found-good-spotting-technique-accidentally.html

Roger

Merg Ross
7-May-2011, 21:19
I am still using Spotone purchased in the 1960's. A little goes a long way, your supply should be fine. Excellent product. Invest in the best brush that you can buy, I prefer a 0000 or 000.

Bill Burk
8-May-2011, 11:15
Until recently, I used the dry spot method. But that's kind of like using Spotone as a watercolor. It may sink in or it may sit on top of print depending how moist the brush is. When used wet, Spotone dyes the print. I think that's what it's designed to do.

The shop my teenager frequents introduced me to a 15/0 brush.

It's a fine-tipped brush that doesn't hold much liquid. I use it with liquid Spotone in different concentrations. After wetting the brush, I give two or three wipes on the blotter before touching the print.

thefilmguy2009
8-May-2011, 20:16
Great info, thanks for the help! I was worried that it may be done for but I'll give it a try.

Lynn Jones
9-May-2011, 10:22
I've used Spotone my entire career (certainly in the area of 6 decades) and I like it, however I was spotting prints during a quiet period in Photo Expo (NYC late 60's) when the president of the company started to watch me and he offered me some advice, "Don't point your brush with your tongue, that is why my instructions say to use a wet paper towel or sponge, Spotone is an analine dye, toxic and carcenogenic"!

Lynn

neil poulsen
11-May-2011, 20:42
I've used Spotone my entire career (certainly in the area of 6 decades) and I like it, however I was spotting prints during a quiet period in Photo Expo (NYC late 60's) when the president of the company started to watch me and he offered me some advice, "Don't point your brush with your tongue, that is why my instructions say to use a wet paper towel or sponge, Spotone is an analine dye, toxic and carcenogenic"!

Lynn

OH, REALLY!!!

Not that I would do that, but the stuff seems so harmless.

Thanks for this post.

dsphotog
11-May-2011, 21:10

Lynn

I wouldn't have known that, from the way it tastes.

pine_cone
14-May-2011, 09:08
Found this, from the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) monographs (http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Monographs/vol27/volume27.pdf):

Volume 27
Some Aromatic Amines, Anthraquinones and Nitroso
Compounds, and Inorganic Fluorides Used in Drinkingwater
and Dental Preparations
Summary of Data Reported and Evaluation

<Table of Contents links deleted>

5. Summary of Data Reported and Evaluation
5.1 Experimental data
Aniline hydrochloride was tested in mice by dietary administration, producing no carcinogenic effects. It was also tested by oral administration in rats; in one experiment by dietary administration it produced fibrosarcomas, sarcomas and haemangiosarcomas of the spleen or the peritoneal cavity.

Aniline was inactive in bacterial and mammalian DNA repair assays, in tests for mitotic recombination with yeast and in cell transformation assays. It did not induce chromosomal aberrations in mammalian cells or in animals. It was not mutagenic for the silkworm; nor was it mutagenic to Salmonella typhimurium unless both
norharman and hepatic microsomes were present. Urines from treated rats were mutagenic for S. typhimurium with metabolic activation. Aniline induced sister chromatid exchanges in cultured mammalian cells.

5.2 Human data
Aniline has been produced commercially since 1847. Its numerous applications as a chemical intermediate could result in occupational exposure. Contamination of the general environment has been reported to occur.

The high risk of bladder cancer observed originally in workers in the aniline dye industry was probably due to exposure to chemicals other than aniline. Studies of individuals exposed to aniline but to no other known bladder carcinogens have shown little evidence of increased risk. The best of these reported one death from bladder cancer in 1223 men producing or using aniline, with 0.83 deaths expected from population rates. The degree of confidence which can be placed in the negative results obtained in the other studies is difficult to assess because of the absence of estimates of expected numbers of bladder cancers and the presumed lack of follow-up of workers who had left the industry.

5.3 Evaluation
There is limited evidence for the carcinogenicity of aniline hydrochloride in experimental animals. The available epidemiological data are insufficient to allow a conclusion as to the carcinogenicity of aniline. On the basis of all the available data, no evaluation could be made of the carcinogenicity of aniline to humans.

For definition of the italicized terms, see Preamble Evaluation.
Previous evaluation: Vol. 4 (1974)
Subsequent evaluation: Suppl. 7 (1987)
Last updated: 8 April 1998

Lynn Jones
16-May-2011, 15:57
Pine Cone,

If the manufacturing company says don't do it going back to the 1940's, I would say, "Don't Do It".

Lynn