PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Skye in september. Want to come?

Joakim Ahnfelt
6-May-2011, 11:14
Hi
Me and some others are planning a LF photo trip to Isle of Skye on the Scottish west coast. The date is saturday 10 to 17 of september.
We have a house that sleeps eight and at the moment there might be some places left if there´some one interrested.
We have been to Skye before and have very good knowledge of the Island.
This is not a workshop in any way, just an unique opportunity to spend a week with like minded LF people in an absolutly amazing landscape.
Please se http://www.drynoch.demon.co.uk/AD/ad_facilities.htm for more info on the house. Do not miss the photo gallery...

Any one interrested?

I´ll have to confess that the picture is from the net. Never had the right kind of weather for a proper shot of the house. Yet.

gari beet
7-May-2011, 01:52
Hi Joakim, I would be interested, work pressure notwithstanding.
I know Skye very well too, I am about 3-4 hours from the Island.

Email or PM me if you want more info, or to discuss costings etc.
Cheers
Gari

Steven Tribe
7-May-2011, 02:51
Please note I am interested!
September is a long way off and the absence of trees would have to make me reconsidered composition/lenses I want to try out. I am fairly waterproof!

gari beet
7-May-2011, 09:16
Hi Steven, there are trees on Skye, not masses but they are there.

Gari

Joakim Ahnfelt
8-May-2011, 11:02
Impressive pictures Gari.

Uffe Nygren
13-May-2011, 08:58
Been there a couple of times, many years ago, unfortunately without an LF-camera.
It´s absolutely stunning.
Love to go back, not this year though, hope the offer comes up again? :o

//Uffe

gari beet
13-May-2011, 10:48
Thanks Joakim, though the subject does most of the work:)

Joakim Ahnfelt
15-May-2011, 12:27
Hi
Previous year's the cost for the house has been about 50 pounds a head. Then there's food of course. And some petrol. And some beer... I should warn you. The Sligachan Hotel is a 15 minutes walk from the house, with some 300 different sorts of single malt whisky...
Gari, I fly in from sweden and rent a car to drive up. Oban's on the way so I could probably pick you up.
Depending on where people come from there may be more car's from other direction.
Steven, where in denmark are you? There's boud to be som low fare airlines out of Kastrup.

Cheers
Joakim

Struan Gray
15-May-2011, 12:37
15 minutes through some of the densest and most voracious swarms of midges in the entire Highlands.

Don't let me put you off :-)

Wish I could come. Don't miss a trip to Struan.

Joakim Ahnfelt
15-May-2011, 12:51
No risk Struan, the reason we usually go in september is that the midges are gone by then. Thank god.

Struan Gray
15-May-2011, 13:03
I've been bitten there in December :-)

Nice views though. My only camera then was a 110, but my climbing partner had a Kodak disk thing, so I preserved my bragging rights.

Peter De Smidt
15-May-2011, 13:05
Wow. What a great opportunity. I spent 1989-90 at St. Andrews, but that was just before I started to take photography seriously. I can't make it this year, but what a great idea for down-the-road.

Steven Tribe
15-May-2011, 13:47
I have a little aversion to "knotty pine" interior finish - but that is not important as long as the roof is OK! Looks exactly like I place I used in the west of Ireland after sea/lake trout and salmon!
Will check flights and etc. from Copenhagen. But decision can't be before around August 1st. Will check possibilities for angling activities on the impossible days. Anything that be rigged up as a BW saferoom - I hate changing bags?

Just in case anyone else has the same diversionary interest as I have - here is a link to game fishing on Skye! This is as reasonable as it gets in Scotland.
www.portreeanglingassociation.co.uk

Tony Lakin
16-May-2011, 05:23
Hi
I am considering a trip around the Scottish coast in September so could join you guys, I will be in my camper van , I would not need the hotel accommodation.

Steven Tribe
17-May-2011, 01:44
Checking flight departures from Kastrup, I notice that flight booking to and from Edinburgh are already under pressure, whilst July and October are more open (cheaper!). This must be the annual rush from Scandinavia to the Highlands to blast away at Grouse, Woodcock and Red Deer. Will extra life insurance be needed?

Struan Gray
17-May-2011, 03:33
Steven, 'scuse me if I'm teaching you the noble art of egg sucking, but you can often get a cheaper trip to Scotland, and a wider choice of airports (Inverness, for example) if you fly to London or Manchester and then pick up a cheapie internal UK flight.

Steven Tribe
17-May-2011, 13:35
That sounds like a good idea - a very good idea.

Joakim Ahnfelt
21-May-2011, 14:10
Hi Tony, you're more than welcome if you're in the area.
Gari, will contact you when the travel arrangements starts to fall in to place to see if we could pick you up on the way or something.

Tony Lakin
21-May-2011, 23:14
Thanks Joakim:)

Daniel Strasshofer
7-Jun-2011, 08:03
Hi Joakim,
I`m in my summer vacation with the family until 11th. Would it be possible to join a little later?

(P.S. Gari - how are you? Are you still working with Richard?)

mono
7-Jun-2011, 08:09
Wish I could join you for I love Scotland, especially Skye.
Perhaps another time...
Have been to Scotland about a dozen times before.

Jim Galli
7-Jun-2011, 08:11
I want to come just so I can have the opportunity to throw those celtic names around :D:D Not to worry lads, I cannot.

Joakim Ahnfelt
8-Jun-2011, 00:49
Hi Joakim,
I`m in my summer vacation with the family until 11th. Would it be possible to join a little later?

(P.S. Gari - how are you? Are you still working with Richard?)

Hi Daniel, yes that's possible. Any idea of when?

Daniel Strasshofer
8-Jun-2011, 14:50
Hi Joakim,
I will return from Sardinia in the night 10th to 11th. I could get a flight at Sunday with arrival in Edinburgh around 18:00. + 5 hour drive (I don`t know?) = maybe 23:30.
So I could join you from Monday to Saturday (or extension to Sunday?).

gari beet
9-Jun-2011, 12:12
Hi Daniel, I have been busy with work through the winter and also a large sale of prints, so have been too busy to fit in any workshops. I was on the phone to Richard just this evening, first time in around 6-7 weeks as we have both been very busy on our own projects.
It would be great to see you if we both make it to Skye.

Thanks for the offer of a lift Joakim, I shall probably drive over myself as I may need to leave a little early. I shall let you know in a week or two, once I know what my schedule for the Autumn will be.

Joakim Ahnfelt
16-Jun-2011, 14:05
Hi Gari. There's a private message for you.
Cheers
Joakim

Steven Tribe
18-Jun-2011, 04:28
Confirming PM sent to Joakim. Well I'm booked via Gatwick and Edinburgh!
Leave Edinburgh airport at around 20.30 10th September and back there 05.00 (!) on the 17th. Contact if I can be of assistance with drive to/from Skye.

Steven Tribe
19-Jun-2011, 13:13
I have done a bit of angling research - in case of blustery/wet days. The Sligachan Hotel (already mentioned in this thread) issues permits for the Sligachan river ( brown trout/sea trout/salmon) for a full week for £20. There is no tradition which limits methods to fly fishing.

Joakim Ahnfelt
19-Jun-2011, 13:54
It runs just outside the house. You could fish out of the window.

Morten
19-Jun-2011, 14:15
It runs just outside the house. You could fish out of the window.

Yepp, on a wee bit wet day you could even flyfish in the road to the cabin!:D

gari beet
19-Jun-2011, 15:25
I know that cottage, I have taken a few pictures on the path that runs close bye.
Great spot.
Gari

Joakim Ahnfelt
20-Jun-2011, 04:22
Nice shots Gari! Here's one of mine. Taken in the rain.

Tony Lakin
21-Jun-2011, 09:28
Had a look at the Sligachan hotel website this morning and saw that thay have a campsite as well so I telephoned them, no need to book, plenty of space, just turn up, seem to have more than adequate facilities, not too expensive either (£16 per night for two people in campervan including electric hook up) perfect for me:)

So all being well I look forward to meeting everyone:)

Joakim Ahnfelt
26-Jun-2011, 12:37
Hi Tony and welcome. I think this is going to be a great trip with lot's of "new" LF photographers turning up. The rest of us is trying to organize transport etc but I guess you got that sorted. I you have an e mail adress I'll put you on the mailing list.
Looking foreward to meeting you and everybody else.
Cheers
Joakim

Tony Lakin
27-Jun-2011, 08:26
Hi Tony and welcome. I think this is going to be a great trip with lot's of "new" LF photographers turning up. The rest of us is trying to organize transport etc but I guess you got that sorted. I you have an e mail adress I'll put you on the mailing list.
Looking foreward to meeting you and everybody else.
Cheers
Joakim

Thanks Joakim
I have sent you a PM with my private Email address.

Thanks again:)

Tony Lakin
3-Sep-2011, 00:49
Hi guys
I am leaving home on the 7th of September and making may way north, hope to arrive on Skye sometime during the week of the meet, could someone who is attending please Email a telephone number so I can make contact when I arrive.

Many thanks:)

Tony

Steven Tribe
3-Sep-2011, 02:19
I dare not give you mine - as you will probably have to pay exorbitant continental rates!

Tony Lakin
3-Sep-2011, 02:40
Thanks Steven
Hopefully someone attending from the UK? alternatively co-ordinates (satnav) for the house you will be staying in? otherwise I will probably find you all in the bar at the Sligaghan hotel any evening:D

Regards
Tony

Steven Tribe
3-Sep-2011, 12:46
I'll send you just that - received from co-ordinator here Joackim.
Send me an email and I'll send the route from the Sligaghan Hotel.

Tony Lakin
4-Sep-2011, 08:50
Thanks guys, I have all the information I need now, with good fortune and a following wind myself, wy wife and my old camper make it ok I look forward to meeting you all, I hope you like my number plate:D

Regards
Tony

Steven Tribe
8-Sep-2011, 15:05
To-day, the weather forecast for next Sunday, Monday and Tuesday is storms and heavy rainfall. I think it is the remains of the last US Hurricane!

gevalia
8-Sep-2011, 15:50
Just say this thread. Already made plans for Colorado and Utah. Otherwise I'd be joining you. Well, maybe next year. Skye and Mull are on my 2-do list.

Ron

Steven Tribe
17-Sep-2011, 09:29
Just a quick report from me, as I left a day earlier because of returning a car hired in Edinburgh and complicated connections back to Copenhagen.
We were 4 LFers. The other three were "modern" 4x5 users. Daniel did a lot of dias with his carefully stored Agfa film (he is from München!) but otherwise black and white.
I got both the tailboard reisekameras working (13x18 and 18x24) and the 18x24 especialy was a joy to use - even in showers and hard wind. We had a very good mix of weather from heavy overcast with showers to completely blue sky. But most days had very changeable cloud cover with instant variations in illumination and cloud types.
Joachim, I'm sure, will post his summing up when he is back in Gothenburg.
Thanks to Joachim getting this organised and giving both Daniel and me the benefit of his ( and the multi-talented Guru, Charlie) previous experience on Skye.
We met up with Gari from the Isle of Man on Thursday evening for a drink and natter down at the local bar/eater.
As a first ( and second) time eater of Haggis, I can recommend it together with mashed potatoes and swedes.
The midges were there - but they problems in the wind!

Steven Tribe
19-Sep-2011, 05:47
Still nothing from the others!
Here are a few shots of the Cottage, the views from the cottage and evidence of Haggis eating.

Daniel Strasshofer
20-Sep-2011, 14:36
Hello and Greetings from Munich,
I arrived sunday evening in Munich and it was a funny to see, that a lot of young guys - wearing kilts - shared my flight to the Oktoberfest!
In my mind, I´m still on Skye - it was a great time with very different weather conditions. So I was able to do nearly 80 photos. The first time I used my new Ebony 45S after the Chamonix 045N, that I had before. I loved the non-folding + plus lens on! It is so quick! Even in rain, you are not thinking about taking pictures.
Thank you Charlie for organizing, cooking and music, thank you Joakim for making this post and the invitation, thank you Steven for offering rare film, thank you Sue + Bob and Kate + Neil for this wonderful time. I hope we can do a meeting in 2012!

Daniel