PDA

View Full Version : Oliver Gagliani Exhibit in Davis Calif. May 2011

Jon Shiu
4-May-2011, 10:35
Just received notice via Viewpoint Gallery (http://www.viewpointgallery.org/?)about an upcoming exhibition of Oliver Gagliani's work in Davis California. Have pasted the text of the email below.

Oliver Gagliani Exhibit
Open House Reception: Sunday, May 8, 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.

During the month of May, Gallery 1855 at the Davis Cemetery District will have on display a rare free exhibit of the photographic works of Oliver Gagliani. There is an open house on Sunday, May 8, 2011 from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM. Gagliani, whose work is in the permanent collections of eight American museums, including the Smithsonian, studied under and worked with some of the greatest photographers of the 20th century, including Ansel Adams, Minor White, Paul Caponigro, the Westons, and Paul Strand, among many others. His work is rarely shown since his death. By special arrangement with the Gagliani family, you have a special chance to see this work displayed and to speak with Gagliani family members at the open house. Please mark your calendar and plan to join us!

WHERE: Gallery 1855 is located in the Davis Cemetery District Office at 820 Pole Line Road, Davis, CA 95618. Please phone (530) 756-7807 or check the website www.daviscemetery.org for more information.

Hope some of you can make it,

Jon

David Lindquist
5-May-2011, 08:48
Just received notice via Viewpoint Gallery (http://www.viewpointgallery.org/?)about an upcoming exhibition of Oliver Gagliani's work in Davis California. Have pasted the text of the email below.

Hope some of you can make it,

Jon

Thank you very much for posting this information. In addition to being a great photographer and a fine teacher, Oliver Gagliani was a wonderful human being. I'm fortunate to have taken one of his Virginia City workshops and a U.C. Extension class from him in the mid to late 1970's.
David

Jon Shiu
5-May-2011, 09:13
"The work may also be viewed Monday through Friday, 9 AM to 4 PM, between May 1st and May 31st at 820 Pole Line Road, Davis, CA, 95618"

Really like his work. Never met Mr. Gagliani, but viewed his work in magazines such as photovision and Black & White and I think View Camera. Lenswork also has a DVD on him, which I recommend, and sold his white door as one of their editions, and I think Fred Newman had/has a video. Was able to view and talk about some of his work at Joe Daniels Gallery in Carmel a while ago.

Jon

Merg Ross
5-May-2011, 12:01
For anyone unfamiliar with Oliver's prints, this should be a real treat; they are stunning, as is the vision.

Oliver was a really wonderful person, and fortunately many knew him through his workshops. I last saw him shortly before his death, at a small gathering to honor members of the Visual Dialogue Foundation, including Don Worth and Jack Welpott. They were a talented group, all of them combining photography with teaching and music.

A book of Oliver's work is available through the CPA in Carmel, at least it was last time I was in contact.