PDA

View Full Version : Filters for Schneider Supar Angulon 90/5.6 (not XL)

J Maxwell
2-May-2011, 17:06
Does anyone know if this lens requires a center filter? I'd like to get a polarizer for the lens but am a little worried about possible vignetting. Thanks!

Lachlan 717
2-May-2011, 21:14
I use one.

No doubt I'll get chastised for this, but I have the 82mm Pol on first, and then the (much larger) CF.

No vignetting on 6x17cm images (so you're theoretically) safe on 5x7.

Also, much cheaper to buy an 82mm filter than the 110mm that would go in front of the CF!!

J Maxwell
3-May-2011, 08:27
Many thanks! This is very helpful. The 82mm is quite a bit cheaper than the CF, so if I can get away with it, that's definitely the alternative I'd prefer.

Bob Salomon
3-May-2011, 09:14
Many thanks! This is very helpful. The 82mm is quite a bit cheaper than the CF, so if I can get away with it, that's definitely the alternative I'd prefer.

But the polarizer will not even out the hot spot. That is what the CF does.

Brian Ellis
3-May-2011, 10:35
Yes, I know. No, it doesn't require a center filter. At least I didn't need one with mine doing black and white photography. I used a polarizer on it. The polarizer by itself didn't create vignetting but of course a polarizer on any wide angle lens can create a tonal imbalance in the sky (i.e. darker on one or both sides than in the middle), something that's relatively easy to fix in Photoshop. .

J Maxwell
3-May-2011, 16:53
Thank you all very much for the very informative replies. This is a great forum with so much valuable information!