PDA

View Full Version : Where to put film holders

Noah B
1-May-2011, 11:21
Hello everyone, I currently shoot a Wista 8x10 and store it and one lens in an old lowepro photo trekker bag, tight fit but it works for now. I've got 6 film holders and usually tote around 4 or so. What do you all use for storing film holders when shooting?

Mark Woods
1-May-2011, 11:25
I use large freezer bags that will hold 4 8x10 holders that are stacked in opposite directions.

Leigh
1-May-2011, 11:33
I have a Zone VI 8x10 pouch that accommodates six filmholders.

Very nice arrangement, with a shoulder strap.

- Leigh

Stephane
1-May-2011, 11:57
Into a cardboard box cut to fit the size. All (sinar norma, accessories, tripod and lenses) go into a 90l duffel bag with rucksack straps.

MIke Sherck
1-May-2011, 12:07
I use soft-sided cooler bags. There is an amazing variety of these things out there, in all sorts of sizes, shapes and colors, and you can usually build up a good supply cheaply from garage sales. My main 8x10 bag is a medium sized soft-sided cooler bag. It holds my two lenses, meter, loupe, filters, misc. plus four film holder, two to a 2-gallon zip-lock bag. If I feel the need to carry more than four, I have two odd soft-sized bags I bought from Menard's of all places, a couple of years ago. They are sort of a vertical design and hold four holders comfortably, although at a pinch you can cram up to seven in each, (each pair of holders are in a 2-gallon plastic zip-lock bag.) They have shoulder straps for carrying. Then there's a cheap computer bag I bought at Target several years ago; again, a vertical design which is most comfortable with two holders. Any remaining holders are in another cooler, in the car. Again, I normally only carry four holders but I can augment by increments of two or four holders pretty easily, by just grabbing an additional bag with shoulder strap. For 4x5 I can fit half a dozen (or nine at a pinch,) into my F/64 backpack and many more ride in other cooler bags, back in the car. If I really want to up the weight, I can add another dozen in the bag's clip-on film holder bag thingies which came with it, but I don't usually need that many holders.

All my holders are stored in pairs, in zip-lock bags to keep the dust down to a dull roar. The 8x10 camera is a monorail, I carry it screwed to the tripod and over my shoulder, with the focusing cloth as a pad. Works ok for short distances; say, a mile or two. For long distances, I carry the 4x5. :)

Mike

cdholden
1-May-2011, 12:54
+1 for Mike.
I had one of the insulated coolers designed to hold two 2 liter bottles. It held 10 8x10 holders even, or fewer holders plus film.
Look in Wal-Mart/K-Mart/Target for manufacturer named California Innovation.

Chris

Vaughn
1-May-2011, 13:11
+1 for Mike.
I had one of the insulated coolers designed to hold two 2 liter bottles. It held 10 8x10 holders even, or fewer holders plus film.
Look in Wal-Mart/K-Mart/Target for manufacturer named California Innovation.

Chris

I have three of these (but must be a little smaller -- only hold 6 8x10 holders). Before I got them I used a camping ice-chest/cooler that all my 8x10 holders plus film boxes fit perfectly into.

John Powers
1-May-2011, 14:56
Cheap carry on bag from Walmart and a small back pack from LL Bean. I carry two or three 8x10 holders, not in zip lock bags, but the black plastic bags that hold Kentmere Fineprint 11x14 or 16x20 print paper. This keeps the dust and the light out. You don’t want to leave them in the sun though because the black will increase the heat. I just leave them in the carry bag until I am ready to shoot.

John

Kimberly Anderson
1-May-2011, 15:10
I have had bags made for my 5x7, 4x10 and 8x10 holders. Custom made to my specs...they weren't cheap, but they are strong, well padded, have handles, and outside pockets for pencils/pens/paper and are color-coded.

http://www.tawayama.com/customcases/sladecustombags-4.jpg

http://www.tawayama.com/customcases/sladecustombags-5.jpg

I have also had bags made to fit my Canham bag bellows and Canham 8x10 and 5x7 camera backs.

jeroldharter
1-May-2011, 15:34
There are no great solutions. The padded cases are nice but they are bulky and can be dusty, especially used ones.

You can buy them new on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MC-Gear-4x10-Cut-Film-Holder-Zipper-Bag-NEW-BLACK-/370397744488?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item563d6d0d68#ht_3863wt_905

You will have to call them if they don't post the format you need but they can get them, sometimes in colors not shown. They are OK but bulky and I find that the sizes vary.

The best option would be the upcoming Photobackpacker case which I don't think is available yet. It is a new and improved model similar to the old Gnass holder. I have seen a prototype 4x5 which is excellent. I will be ordering the 8x10 when they become available. See this thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=67149&highlight=photobackpacker

Kimberly Anderson
1-May-2011, 15:38
FYI, I purchased one of the 4x10 cases made by MC-Gear. After seeing it, I decided to have my own cases made.

Richard Mahoney
1-May-2011, 21:35
I let my 4x5 holders ride up front. Surely there must be something similar available for 8x10, with lugs for a safety-belt of course? :)

http://camera-antipodea.indica-et-buddhica.com/about/equipment/green-1966-land-rover-88-cabin.jpg

Best,

Richard

Daniel Stone
1-May-2011, 23:20
Epson projector cases, like the ones in the picture below:

http://www.eio.com/images/Product/medium/27616.jpg

I got 3 of them from Ebay for $10 each SHIPPED, but they work extremely well, I just had some 6" long flaps of heavy cloth(lightproof) sewn into the ends to cover the holders from the little gap of light.

I can fit 6 8x10 holders comfortably in one of them. They work great!

-Dan

Bruce Barlow
2-May-2011, 03:27
Just started using re-usable grocery bags to carry an 8x10 holder or two...or three. that's for lugging with camera from car to setup spot.

Holders usually live in $12.63 from Wally World cooler bags, holding ten or eleven (but not 12). I took a holder on a date to find the right size. Repeated for 5x7 and 4x5 holders, so I have "custom" sizes for each. An additional one holds the plastic Tupperware things I bought for lenses on Sinar boards. One bag holds the three I need to carry.

I try to keep them clean, and don't seem to have troubles with dust.

612tom
5-May-2011, 04:31
I have had bags made for my 5x7, 4x10 and 8x10 holders. Custom made to my specs...they weren't cheap, but they are strong, well padded, have handles, and outside pockets for pencils/pens/paper and are color-coded. I have also had bags made to fit my Canham bag bellows and Canham 8x10 and 5x7 camera backs.

Hi Michael - would you mind letting me know where you got these bags made? I've been searching for someone to custom make me a bag for a while now - the pictures of your film holder bags look good....

Thanks