PDA

View Full Version : Dallas / Fort Worth LF Gathering

msk2193
27-Apr-2011, 20:48
So, here it is. Our next get-together will be on Saturday, May 21.

Thanks to JB for arranging an interesting spot for us to shoot and maybe even gain a few new souls in the LF fold.

We will meet at 8AM on the campus of Tarrant County Commmunity College. The visitor parking lot where we will be is off W. Harwood Road (see map).

There are quite a few photo opportunities including flowers, trees, shrubs, and architectural and there is a giant chess board to photograph. I will bring a bar stool and some diffusers in case anyone wants to shoot any portraits.

We will be joined by Larry Hart who runs the photography program at the college and students who have shwon an interest in LF.

Following our shoot, we will head over to North Main BBQ for lunch and fellowship.
For address and info see: http://northmainbbq.com/ Thanks Bob for finding us a spot.

Please sign up on this list so we have an approximate head count.

See y'all there.

8x20_Pano_Shooter
27-Apr-2011, 20:54
Looking forward to it!

J.B. Harlin
27-Apr-2011, 21:20
Just a little more information on the location. This will be the Tarrant County College (TCC) North East Campus, 828 Harwood Road, in Hurst. Here is a link with driving directions;

http://www.tccd.edu/Campuses_and_Centers/Northeast_Campus/Directions_NE.html

We would like to thank Larry Hart, President of the TCC Exposure Photo Club, for arranging for us to meet on the campus. Larry will be joining us along with some of his fellow students.

We will have an assortment of LF and ULF cameras available for some hands-on time. If you are interested, this will be your opportunity to meet and talk with those that work with large cameras and film. We will also bring a few photographs to boot.

Janice Eddington
28-Apr-2011, 16:19
I would love to attend. Don't have a camera YET.

msk2193
28-Apr-2011, 16:34

Janice, this would be THE perfect event to attend then. Many cameras to look at, play with, and maybe help you narrow the search for what you really want.

Gem Singer
28-Apr-2011, 16:42
Janice,

Check your Email.

J.B. Harlin
28-Apr-2011, 17:04

Absolutely no camera required. We should have most anything from 4x5 to 11x14 to 8x20. . . Free to look and touch. . . Please do join us!!

8x20_Pano_Shooter
28-Apr-2011, 17:31
Absolutely no camera required. We should have most anything from 4x5 to 11x14 to 8x20. . . Free to look and touch. . . Please do join us!!

Window shopping is always fun. . .

Janice Eddington
28-Apr-2011, 18:45
Thanks Everyone. I am very excited. I just hope you are all ready for a few ignorant questions. It is one thing to read, another to touch and see. I learn better when I can do all three!

msk2193
28-Apr-2011, 20:15
Just remember to be careful where you touch from under that dark cloth :D :eek: :D

venchka
29-Apr-2011, 05:53
A few minutes behind a 7x17 or 12x20 will spoil you forever. 4x5 no longer looks like large format.

J.B. Harlin
29-Apr-2011, 09:07
Anyone interested in seeing some large negatives? I have some 8x10 test film I can bring. I have two sheets, both of the same subject, one processed in HC110, the other in PyroCat HD for comparison, if anyone is interested.

William McEwen
29-Apr-2011, 10:24
I'd like to see that...

Jeremy Moore
29-Apr-2011, 13:11
Anyone interested in seeing some large negatives? I have some 8x10 test film I can bring. I have two sheets, both of the same subject, one processed in HC110, the other in PyroCat HD for comparison, if anyone is interested.

Do you have prints from each of the negs, too? That'd be something fun to peep at.

Gem Singer
29-Apr-2011, 13:27
Jeremy and William will you be attending the get together?

Count me in. I will be sharing a ride with Janice.

Bringing a Canham JMC57 with a 4x5 reducing back as well as a Toyo/Omega 45E monorail for Janice to try.

J.B. Harlin
29-Apr-2011, 13:39
Do you have prints from each of the negs, too? That'd be something fun to peep at.

I have never proofed these negatives. . . at least I can't find any. Most of this test film I toss, for some reason these are in a box that I had forgotten. They are old since they are on Tri-X, haven't use it in years now. If I get time I will proof these 8x10's.

I do have a series of test 4x5 negatives, processed in MaxPyro, PyroCat HD, and PMK that I can bring. These are all proofed and filed in a notebook.

William McEwen
29-Apr-2011, 13:58
William will you be attending the get together?

Hi, Dr. Singer:

Undecided. Last time I went to one of these, I brought my Rolleiflex and photographed you, one picture after another, until you got sick of it and commented negatively on "these people shooters."

:)

I won't be bringing my 8x10 because I use it for private, intimate one-on-one portrait sessions, and that won't fit in with the group fun and camaraderie of this event.

But if there's a contest of some sort, and grand prize is one of the medium format photos you shot of the missus while cross country skiing, I'll be the first one there.

Gem Singer
29-Apr-2011, 14:20
William,

I interpret "undecided" to mean you will be there if your wife lets you out of the house on a Sat. morning.

Yes, this is primarily a get together for large format users, and yes, I did use a Rollei TLR for 25 years (until I finally got fed up with those little square negatives).

However, you are welcome to bring your Rollei and shoot people pictures, but also bring your 8x10, and we'll have an intimate moment.

Gem Singer
29-Apr-2011, 17:51
Hey William,

I sent you a message regarding transportation arrangements for the 21st.

Check your PM's.

William McEwen
29-Apr-2011, 17:58
Hi, Dr. Singer -- will do.

Jeremy Moore
29-Apr-2011, 19:19
Jeremy and William will you be attending the get together?

Yes, I have it penciled into my calendar, though the vagaries of life may interdict between now and the 21st.

I will probably have to beg a ride from one of the ladies or gents in attendance unless I can talk my roommate into attending also.

msk2193
29-Apr-2011, 21:04
Yes, I have it penciled into my calendar, though the vagaries of life may interdict between now and the 21st.

I will probably have to beg a ride from one of the ladies or gents in attendance unless I can talk my roommate into attending also.

Jeremy, I sent you an e-mail regarding a ride!

Darren H
1-May-2011, 05:31
It looks like I will be out of town on the 21st, however I am letting the folks in the FWCC know about this and I expect 5-6 of them will make it out that day.

Have fun and post some pics from the event.

RmFrase
1-May-2011, 06:45
I'll be there-

pandabob
3-May-2011, 08:00
Is a guy by the name of Mark Penland involved in this at all? I met him about a year ago at TCC. He works in the photo lab for the communications department (I believe) and took me on a tour of their facilities which included... an 8x10 enlarger.

An LF and ULF event there might not be complete without a demo on a Dinosaur-sized Durst beast of a machine.

Gem Singer
3-May-2011, 09:17
Not familiar with anyone named Mark Penland.

Seems like there are more LF photographers in FT.Worth than in Dallas.

Pandabob, have you ever attended any of our get togethers?

pandabob
3-May-2011, 09:35
Not familiar with anyone named Mark Penland.

Seems like there are more LF photographers in FT.Worth than in Dallas.

Pandabob, have you ever attended any of our get togethers?

Once last year out in Trinity Park. I was out there with Matt Smith.

Real name is Steve Reeves.

J.B. Harlin
3-May-2011, 09:43
Is a guy by the name of Mark Penland involved in this at all? I met him about a year ago at TCC. He works in the photo lab for the communications department (I believe) and took me on a tour of their facilities which included... an 8x10 enlarger.

An LF and ULF event there might not be complete without a demo on a Dinosaur-sized Durst beast of a machine.

I do not know Mark. . . Larry Hart is the president of the school photo club and has made arrangements for us to meet on the school grounds. I believe we will be between semesters at that time and as far as I know we will not have access to any of the buildings. The darkroom and photo lab facilities there are second to none.

Gem Singer
3-May-2011, 09:51
Steve, are you and Matt planning on attending the May 21st get together?

The more people that attend, the better.

pandabob
3-May-2011, 12:23
Steve, are you and Matt planning on attending the May 21st get together?

The more people that attend, the better.

I think Matt may be there. I'd love to, but I'm already double-booked. If there's a massive failure in prior engagements I'll be there.

msk2193
6-May-2011, 12:58
Just an edit of my original post....

This gathering is hosted by the TCC Exposure Photo Club and we will be joined by member Larry Hart and other students who have an interest in LF.

Larry wanted me to let y'all know he does not run the photography program at TCC.

J.B. Harlin
9-May-2011, 08:21
Just an edit of my original post....

This gathering is hosted by the TCC Exposure Photo Club and we will be joined by member Larry Hart and other students who have an interest in LF.

Larry wanted me to let y'all know he does not run the photography program at TCC.

Thanks Michael for the correction. . . I would like to add that Larry is the President of the TCC Exposure Photo Club and has been instrumental in helping us with the arrangements. Without Larry, we might still be looking for a place to gather.

We would also like to thank TCC N/E for allowing us to meet on their campus!!!

Bob McCarthy
9-May-2011, 12:54
As we're getting close the the event, I would appreciate a head count and whether you will be joining us for some fine Texas BBQ. If enough come I'm going to try to reserve a room/table. If you don't reply, don't worry, I will still ask for more seats as a back up. But it would be useful to get the best service.

Could you post your name here and if lunch plans are part of your day.

Bob

Bob McCarthy
9-May-2011, 12:54
Bob McCarthy

yes for meeting

yes for lunch

SergeiR
9-May-2011, 13:22
pity its on 21st and not week after or before. Oh well.

8x20_Pano_Shooter
9-May-2011, 16:15
As we're getting close the the event, I would appreciate a head count and whether you will be joining us for some fine Texas BBQ. If enough come I'm going to try to reserve a room/table. If you don't reply, don't worry, I will still ask for more seats as a back up. But it would be useful to get the best service.

Could you post your name here and if lunch plans are part of your day.

Bob

Susan
I'll be at the meeting and lunch.

msk2193
10-May-2011, 09:58
Shooting and Eating

Janice Eddington
10-May-2011, 11:12
Drooling over your cameras and eating:)

Gem Singer
10-May-2011, 12:10
I will be attending the get together, possibly lunch.

Bob,

It would be a good idea to reveal the location of the BB-Q restaurant.

Bob McCarthy
10-May-2011, 12:58
The restaurant was listed on the first post in the thread, but as that was long ago it would be useful posting it again.

Following our shoot, we will head over to North Main BBQ for lunch and fellowship.
For address and info see: http://northmainbbq.com/

It has been around for a for decades and is a favorite of those who concider BBQ an important staple of a proper diet.

bob

J.B. Harlin
10-May-2011, 13:51
BBQ and Large Film. . . Can't beat that! Here are more details from the NORTH MAIN BBQ web site;

. . . "Home of the World's Best Ribs" is backed with 30 years of barbeque experience. North Main BBQ serves the "World's Best Ribs", provides great customer service, and prices that can't be beat!

North Main BBQ is located about three (3) miles west of the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport off Hwy 183.

North Main BBQ serves an "All you can Eat" lunch and dinner buffet that includes it's award winning ribs, chopped and sliced beef brisket, chicken breast, pork shoulder, sausage, ranch beans, potato salad, cole slaw, assorted relishes and bbq sauce. All meats are slow cooked with hickory smoke from four to twelve hours.

Now who could miss something like this???

Gem Singer
10-May-2011, 15:20
Thanks JB,

Now that I know that the restaurant is located along my homeward route, count me in for lunch.

I just didn't want to drive all the way to Ft.Worth.

Janice Eddington and I will be riding together, with the possibility that William McEwen will join us. Can't verify William as yet.

J.B. Harlin
10-May-2011, 17:03
Eugene, we are trying to keep it as centrally located as possible. . . hoping for a good gathering. . . see you there!!!

ataim
11-May-2011, 08:56
Count me in for shoot, I'll know closer to the date if I can make lunch.

Paul

J.B. Harlin
11-May-2011, 10:44
Bob, be sure to count me for both Cameras and Lunch. . .

bigdog
12-May-2011, 10:41
OK, Bob talked me into this - mostly based on the lunch issue. :D

Bob McCarthy
12-May-2011, 10:45
Good show David, BTW, let me know if you talk with Mike.

C U there,

bob

8x20_Pano_Shooter
14-May-2011, 07:02
Next Saturday. . .8:00 am. . .lots of talk about photography!!!

msk2193
14-May-2011, 20:02
Guys & Gals,

Looks like we are up to 25 as of this afternoon. Great showing, but we have plenty of acreage for many more!
There is a possibility of a neat surprise for those attending.

J.B. Harlin
15-May-2011, 07:40
Guys & Gals,

Looks like we are up to 25 as of this afternoon. Great showing, but we have plenty of acreage for many more!

SURPRISE. . . You going to sing and dance for us Michael???

msk2193
15-May-2011, 08:21
Come'on why give it away this early in the game?

anchored
15-May-2011, 09:11
Returning from current road-trip just in time! Count me in for both shoot and lunch.

Glenn

J.B. Harlin
16-May-2011, 16:41
If you have a homemade camera, bring it and show it off. . . no matter if it is a view camera, or a tin can pinhole. If it shoots film, bring it and show everyone how it works. This is all about film photography. . . join us for some fun!

Bob McCarthy
16-May-2011, 18:57
Just a heads up. I have a room reserved at the BBQ place for 11:30 for 30 folks which is a few extra. Try to get there early and use my name for reservation. It's usually very busy so early is always better.

Bob

Gem Singer
18-May-2011, 13:44
Have you made contingency plans in the event that it is raining on Sat. morning?

Is there a place where we can go to get out of the rain?

What about bringing something for show-and tell, or something to trade or sell?

A portfolio of our favorite prints?

msk2193
18-May-2011, 13:48
Great photos can be taken in the rain.
We're meeting rain or shine.

Bob McCarthy
18-May-2011, 13:56
I think the area were talking about is near the student union, so shelter should be available. Maybe someone in the know can pipe in. Been a while since I spent time there, my son went there for his freshman year.

bob

Gem Singer
18-May-2011, 14:16
I just spoke to JB. He is contacting Larry Hart to find out if there is a class room or meeting room that can be used even though the school is closed, including the student union.

Michael, The forecast is for rain on Sat. morning. I don't mind photographing in light rain. I have a nice big umbrella. However, if it storms the way it usually does around here, you might be the only one using a camera outdoors. Don't forget to keep your lens dry.

Also, difficult driving conditions could affect attendance.

msk2193
18-May-2011, 15:39
Eugene,

If less than 40% chance of rain is worrisome please do not take the risk of driving to the mid-cities. Better to be safe than sorry.

Gem Singer
18-May-2011, 16:09
Michael,

You don't seem to understand why I am concerned. It is not about driving or photographing in the rain.

When I talked to JB on the phone, he agreed that there is a possibility of the event being rained out. He is presently inquiring about alternatives.

I want this event to be successful and was attempting to be helpful by creating a contingency plan.

J.B. Harlin
18-May-2011, 16:47
I am holding out for the forecast that says the main event will be Friday. . . if the atmosphere gets worked over really well then, Saturday will be scattered showers. . . at least that is what I hope will happen. I have lived in Texas my entire life and have been a weather observer since I was a kid, and rain in Texas is not always a given. . . think of it this way, a 40% chance of rain is really a 60% chance of no rain. If things are wet from rain on Friday, early Saturday morning everything will be beautiful to photograph. . . hope to see everyone there. . . we will be there rain or shine. . . and. . . don’t forget that rain does not stop conversation and BBQ!!!!

Gem Singer
18-May-2011, 16:58
In other words, Larry Hart was unable to arrange an indoor meeting room at the school. No contingency plan.

You have to admit that it's difficult to converse while standing in an intermittent rain shower, huddling in a vehicle to avoid the rain, or while chewing on BBQ in a busy restaurant.

Let's hope that it rains itself out on Friday.

J.B. Harlin
18-May-2011, 17:56
NWS just updated their on-line forecast;

Saturday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 1pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 85. South southwest wind between 10 and 15 mph.

Don't let the threat of a little rain dampen your creative curiosity. . .

Gem Singer
18-May-2011, 19:34
Instead of a Sat. morning DFW large format get together, lets call it an outdoor photo shoot for creative folks who are curious to find out if the rain has stopped by 8am on Sat. :) :) :)

Bob McCarthy
19-May-2011, 04:21
That sounds negative. I've been to every gathering we've had. They're all different. One was a meeting at a restaurant for show and tell, another was in fort worth at the park, one was at the courthouse for a private, behind locked door shooting, and this one at the college.

Only common thread is food and sheet film cameras.

Just enjoy. I'm still wondering what michaels "surprise" is??

Bob

msk2193
19-May-2011, 05:14
You forget the most fun part.... some good images AND some great fun road trips that resulted from new friendships built around LF photography!

Surprise, what surprise? :D

Besides, the weather service has already reduced the chances of rain to 20% in the afternoon. I hope it is a good shower to wash off the BBQ sauce from my face!

http://kan.com/images/LF_Texas_Roads/bin/images/medium/Tarrant_Cnty_Courthouse_Library_TX2.jpg

http://kan.com/images/LF_Texas_Roads/bin/images/medium/Gas_St_Glenn_Rose_TX2.jpg

http://kan.com/images/2011-4-film/bin/images/medium/White_Rock_Lake.jpg

Gem Singer
19-May-2011, 05:29
Bob,

It might sound negative to you, but to me, it's just being realistic.

You forgot to include the outing at the SMU campus. Breakfast at the German restaurant and the lunch afterward.

Since both of us are portly gentlemen,we could have benefited greatly by eliminating the food from that outing. :)

Bob McCarthy
19-May-2011, 06:52
Mikie,

I read "surprise" in the post,

you know my mind is on cracker jax, a prize in every package.

nevermind, i'm in a good mood, life is great, except for Chamonix being delayed with my new camera.

b

Guys & Gals,

J.B. Harlin
19-May-2011, 06:59
The weather forecast continues unchanged for Saturday. . .

Unisys--- SATURDAY HI: 85 MOSTLY SUNNY IN THE MORNING THEN BECOMING PARTLY SUNNY. A 20 PERCENT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS. HIGHS IN THE MID 80S. SOUTH WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH.

NWS--- Saturday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 85. South southwest wind between 10 and 15 mph.

We Are GO for gathering!!!!

J.B. Harlin
19-May-2011, 07:20
The school is between semesters and closed, but we will have access to the giant chess pieces thanks to Larry. Bring your camera, bring some photos to show, bring your curiosity and questions. We will have a good time. . .

J.B. Harlin
20-May-2011, 07:24
Here is the latest forecast from the NWS. . .

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 87. South southwest wind around 10 mph.

We are still GO for cameras and BBQ. . .

Janice Eddington
20-May-2011, 13:27
I am really looking forward to tomorrow. I cannot wait to see each and everyone of your cameras!

msk2193
20-May-2011, 14:15
Janice, I hope it is an uneventful drive and an eventful gathering!

8x20_Pano_Shooter
20-May-2011, 21:08
I'm bringing my 8x20 horizontal camera along with photographs tomorrow. Looks like the weather is going to cooperate!!!

William McEwen
20-May-2011, 21:13
I'll probably come for lunch.

J.B. Harlin
20-May-2011, 21:31
I'll have my 11x14 packable rig and some photos. . . and. . . BBQ to top it off!!!!!!

bigdog
21-May-2011, 04:16

My cameras are roll film, but they do have bellows ... :rolleyes:

Janice Eddington
21-May-2011, 04:28
Only 1.5 hours!!!

msk2193
21-May-2011, 05:17
Only 1.5 hours!!!

Not really, some of us are here too early!

msk2193
21-May-2011, 08:51
What a gathering. Over 20 people and a few new members for the forum and the hobby. Thanks all for coming out this morning.

J.B. Harlin
21-May-2011, 12:20
What a great time!!! I would say about 25 enthusiastic participants in all. Lots of cameras and photos.

Thanks to Michael and Bob for event planning, and a special Thank You to Larry, president of the TCC Exposure Photo Club, for arranging our meeting place and having the giant chess pieces out for us.

Enjoyed seeing everyone and meeting some new photography friends. . . and, did I mention BBQ????

William McEwen
21-May-2011, 12:28
Eugene Singer -- AWOL! :(

Janice Eddington
21-May-2011, 13:10
Thanks Everyone for making me welcome and for answering my questions and letting me touch and look at your cameras. You may have created more questions though! I thought I wanted 8x10 but that 11x14 just kept calling my name(sorry JB hope I did not leave too much drool and fingerprints on it). AND Susan's 8x20 was Kick A- -. Susan's snow prints were awesome.

msk2193
21-May-2011, 13:38
Janice,

It was great meeting you. Look forward to seeing you at the next get togethers.

And indeed Bob, thank you for selecting a great new (for me) spot for lunch. The best coleslaw and brisket I've had to date.

I've already sent out two emails to arrange the next shoots. Stay tuned.

Gem Singer
21-May-2011, 14:06
Sorry to disappoint you William.

I just didn't feel comfortable driving that distance in heavily traffic on a Sat. morning.

Was hoping you or Janice would be my navigator. Didn't pan out that way.

J.B. Harlin
21-May-2011, 14:26
Thanks Everyone for making me welcome and for answering my questions and letting me touch and look at your cameras. You may have created more questions though! I thought I wanted 8x10 but that 11x14 just kept calling my name(sorry JB hope I did not leave too much drool and fingerprints on it). AND Susan's 8x20 was Kick A- -. Susan's snow prints were awesome.

My pleasure Janice! Don't worry, the camera is fine. 11x14 is my favorite print size and up until I built this ultra-light that is easy to pack (thanks to Susan for building the pack) it was logistically difficult to use in the field. I still shoot 8x10 a lot, but the number of 11x14 negatives has increased significantly.

Snow is difficult to print. . . you have to work to make it look realistic, and Susan does it well.

What a great time!!!!!!!

8x20_Pano_Shooter
21-May-2011, 15:11

Thanks for the compliment, Janice. I enjoyed meeting you and look forward to seeing you at future outings.

RmFrase
21-May-2011, 19:45
I enjoyed the visit and seeing everyone again, and meeting the newcomers. Looking forward to the next visit.

-Robert

William McEwen
22-May-2011, 10:39
Sorry to disappoint you William.

I just didn't feel comfortable driving that distance in heavily traffic on a Sat. morning.

Was hoping you or Janice would be my navigator. Didn't pan out that way.

Sorry about that, Chief -- didn't realize all this --

I skipped the shoot and showed up for lunch.

J.B. Harlin
22-May-2011, 14:48
This was a great outing. . . watch here for more informal gathering announcements coming up through the rest of the year. . . we are working on more locations of interest. . .

8x20_Pano_Shooter
22-May-2011, 14:49
I can hardly wait!!!!

Mike Castles
22-May-2011, 16:31
Missed this one, going to have to pay attention or stop by more often. Hope to catch the next one...this one looked fun

msk2193
23-May-2011, 07:34
Some photos of Saturday.
Thank you new member Barbara for sharing these with us.

http://kan.com/forum/web.jpg

http://kan.com/forum/web-1.jpg

http://kan.com/forum/web-2.jpg

J.B. Harlin
23-May-2011, 09:47
What a happy looking group. . . and look at all of the cameras. Wish I had taken the time to make a few more snapshots. . .

KJ Smith
23-May-2011, 15:57
This was a great outing. . . watch here for more informal gathering announcements coming up through the rest of the year. . . we are working on more locations of interest. . .

One of the great places to shoot in DFW is Fair Park.

You want to go before they start setting up for the fair.
Kevin

On Edit: Here (http://www.texasphotoforum.com/forum/city-life/128317-fair-park-invaded-those-houston-guys.html) is an old thread from TPF on Fair Park.
If you look there is at least 1 4x5 shot.

msk2193
23-May-2011, 16:50
Kevin, that is one of the stops over the next couple of months. Hang tight until we publish the whole list of events!

Darren H
26-May-2011, 17:50
Sorry I had to miss this one. Looks like a good time, good turnout, and since you went to North Main BBQ- I know you had good food.

Still need a few more images from this event. I know at least some of you had to have cameras...... ;-)