PDA

View Full Version : Scanning Wet Plates

Two23
25-Apr-2011, 07:17
The weather is warming up here, and most of the time it is now above freezing. I might take another look at getting into wet plates. My thinking is that Nikon won't be releasing the camea I want anytime soon due to the problems over there, and this could be a good time for me to get more into historical cameras. Wet plates intrigue me and I am readingup on it. However, I really have no interest in setting up a dark room and making prints. It just doesn't fit my hectic lifestyle right now. I have an Epson V700 scanner. Does scanning a wet plate work very well? I have been happy with scans of 4x5 sheet film.

Kent in SD

goamules
25-Apr-2011, 07:27
The weather is warming up here, and most of the time it is now above freezing. I might take another look at getting into wet plates. My thinking is that Nikon won't be releasing the camea I want anytime soon due to the problems over there, and this could be a good time for me to get more into historical cameras. Wet plates intrigue me and I am readingup on it. However, I really have no interest in setting up a dark room and making prints. It just doesn't fit my hectic lifestyle right now. I have an Epson V700 scanner. Does scanning a wet plate work very well? I have been happy with scans of 4x5 sheet film.

Kent in SD

You might enjoy wetplate, I hope you try it. A lot of people do wetplate for positives, not negatives. Collodion is difficult to scan clean, there are lots of artifacts. But that's part of the process. I'm sure they would print OK digitally.

But - you say setting up a dark room holds no interest. Working in a darkroom or darkbox/tent is part of the process. You must have an area with ventilation, safelight, and a few other things just to pour and develop a plate. There is a lot of running back and forth between the camera and the darkroom situation. Not to say it's hectic, it's really a relaxing process.

Two23
25-Apr-2011, 20:57
But - you say setting up a dark room holds no interest. Working in a darkroom or darkbox/tent is part of the process. You must have an area with ventilation, safelight, and a few other things just to pour and develop a plate. There is a lot of running back and forth between the camera and the darkroom situation. Not to say it's hectic, it's really a relaxing process.

Yeah, I figured on the dark tent thing. I intend to just photo things outdoors. I'm really not an indoor/studio guy. I have a pretty big changing bag. I'm just trying to see if the whole deal would work for me or not. I might stick with the dry plate idea. What's really tempting me is the idea of buying an old camera from the 1860-1880 time frame. I have doubts those could easily be converted to 4x5 or 5x7 sheet film. Really old stuff intrigues the hell out of me anyway.

Kent in SD

sully75
25-Apr-2011, 21:25
erm. I don't want to be rude, but I've looked into doing this a lot, and it's a big commitment. If you are not a "darkroom" guy, you are probably not going to dig it.

Who knows though, maybe you will change?

You have to be pretty hardcore, despite what people are telling you. Some of the chemicals are pretty serious.

don't want to be a downer. just maybe save you some time.

alex from holland
26-Apr-2011, 00:58
scanning isn't such a big job with collodion
Have a look at this movie made by Alexey Alexeev.
It's the way i do it and the results are just great.

As Garrett says, wetplate without a darkroom can't be done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srTneleXIC0&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Alex

Two23
26-Apr-2011, 07:04
scanning isn't such a big job with collodion
Have a look at this movie made by Alexey Alexeev.
It's the way i do it and the results are just great.

As Garrett says, wetplate without a darkroom can't be done.

Alex

The chemicals don't scare me--I have a masters degree in medical science (plenty of chem classes.) What I want to avoid is having to set up a dark room at home. The dry plate idea might be closer to ideal for me, have to look into it.

Kent in SD

goamules
26-Apr-2011, 07:36
erm. I don't want to be rude, but I've looked into doing this a lot, and it's a big commitment. If you are not a "darkroom" guy, you are probably not going to dig it.

Who knows though, maybe you will change?

You have to be pretty hardcore, despite what people are telling you. Some of the chemicals are pretty serious.

don't want to be a downer. just maybe save you some time.

It doesn't have to be a big production with expensive 20x24 cameras, $2000 brass lenses, and custom walnut dark boxes. I can teach someone to shoot wetplate in 10 minutes, and show how to make a darkbox out of a cardboard box. You can shoot a speed graphic or any basic view camera. The chemicals aren't really that expensive if you shoot small plates.

It becomes a big production because people make it one.

Some of us started May 1 (Sunday) as World Wetplate Day a few years ago. http://www.wetplateday.org/ If anyone is in Tucson this weekend and wants to see what I'm talking about, PM me.

cherie steinberg
29-Jan-2015, 10:25
it doesn't have to be a big production with expensive 20x24 cameras, $2000 brass lenses, and custom walnut dark boxes. I can teach someone to shoot wetplate in 10 minutes, and show how to make a darkbox out of a cardboard box. You can shoot a speed graphic or any basic view camera. The chemicals aren't really that expensive if you shoot small plates.

It becomes a big production because people make it one.

Some of us started may 1 (sunday) as world wetplate day a few years ago. http://www.wetplateday.org/ if anyone is in tucson this weekend and wants to see what i'm talking about, pm me.

dear garret...love to chat about setting this up in las vegas.....i need some help...cherie 310-980-8810 new to forum....

goamules
29-Jan-2015, 11:21
Hi, while I do occasionally give workshops, and can give individualized instruction, it would have to be in my hometown, Tucson. PM me if interested.