PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix focusing

Terry Hull
22-Apr-2011, 12:34
I am considering buying either a 5X7 horizontal version-or the recent version of the 4X5. Not being able to try the cameras, I thought someone might give me an assist. My question concerns the ease of focus (my eyes are aging). Without a fresnel lens on the 5X7 GG, does the increased size of the ground glass make it as easy to focus as say the 45N-2 with fresnel-everything else being equal? Thanks

tautatis
22-Apr-2011, 19:42
I do not have a 5X7. I have a 4X5n-2. The ground glass is bright and easy to focus. If you are in Md, Iyou are welcome to try the camera.

T.

mandoman7
24-Apr-2011, 20:00
I have both 4x5 and 8x10 systems, and I have a preference for the larger format for the reason you've mentioned. Its quite a bit easier to compose on the ground glass with the larger formats. Really, the only reason to use smaller formats is weight and film cost, AFAIC.

Terry Hull
25-Apr-2011, 16:30
Thanks for the responses. I ordered a convertible maple model Chamonix 5X7 from Hugo.

I doubt my Gitzo 2931 will be enough tripod but will give it a try. It seems like the manufacturer weight limit should be divided by three!

Fishjump
13-May-2011, 18:29
Terry. You always get a Maxwell screen. Expensive but they are so much brighter.

David R Munson
13-May-2011, 22:12
Terry - your tripod should be fine. The 5x7 Chamonix weights, what, about five pounds? Your tripod is rated to twenty so you should be good. :)

Cesar Barreto
14-May-2011, 10:55
Hi, Terry.

I sta

Cesar Barreto
14-May-2011, 15:07
Hi, Terry.
There was something wrong about my last message, but I just want to add that you might be confortable focusing this camera and I'm even thinking about taking off the fresnel lens from the 4x5' reducer wich came along.
Pretty nice camera, indeed!

Terry Hull
14-May-2011, 15:22
Thanks to all of you. I am awaiting developing the first FP4 5x7 film. I am having some trouble getting used to the camera. My Ebony SW45 is much easier to zero out, and apply front rise and tilt which is about all I use, but the holder insertion is very smooth, as is the change from horizontal to vertical. By definition is it easier to apply movements/focus to a non folding camera than a folder?

Steve M Hostetter
14-May-2011, 16:04
Terry,,

I believe that the Chamonix just takes alittle while to get used to since it operates quite different from most any other camera..
I have a newer 4x5 Chamonix for hiking and it seems like the more I use it the faster I get with the controls.. Gem of a camera!
I intend someday to get me an ebony non-folder for the wide angles and ease and speed of use.

engl
14-May-2011, 17:50
By definition is it easier to apply movements/focus to a non folding camera than a folder?

No, but the folding cameras that are easiest to work with are also usually the heaviest. What you probably want is axis front tilt with a separate control, which I don't think any of the lighter 3-5 pound (in 4x5) field cameras do.

Focus should not have to be bad on a field camera though. What is the issue, jerky movement?

Terry Hull
14-May-2011, 19:10
I think it is having all the front movements on the same control. I am not always sure I even have the standards parallel in the zero position. I need to shoot a lot to get used to the camera!