PDA

View Full Version : Hello - looking to learn about LF photography

andymatthews
17-Apr-2011, 15:12
Hi, just joined after reading un-registered for a while. Shooting a lot of Architecture with a full frame dSLR and wanting to move up a step to a 5x4 or 6x7 system at some point soon. Hoping to purchase a 2nd hand Sinar or Arca Swiss soon.

Some of my work can be seen on http://www.andymatthewsphotography.com

Andy

Brian C. Miller
17-Apr-2011, 15:57
Hi, Andy! You've come to the right place. If you want to photograph architecture with LF, you'll definitely need a camera with movements. Monorail cameras are cheap these days, but you'll need a lens with some decent coverage. Other than that, you'll absolutely love what a LF negative can do for you!

Leigh
17-Apr-2011, 17:22
Welcome aboard, Andy.

Look around. There are lots of different LF camera types and styles available, in a wide range of prices. The same is true for lenses.

Cameras are very much a matter of personal preference, like cars.

If possible, try out any that you might consider buying to see how you like them, and how they like you.

Lots of variables to consider.

- Leigh

Vick Vickery
17-Apr-2011, 20:03
Welcome to group therapy! :) You'll find composing and correcting distortions in-camera on the ground glass will be enlightening...its a whole different world under the dark cloth! I'm impressed with how well you've done without rises/falls and swings/tilts...you've got a good eye.

altair
18-Apr-2011, 10:35
Hi Andy & welcome! I'm new to LF too and I'm learning & trying new things with it everyday...it's been very gratifying for me and the enjoyment I get from it is far far better from when I muddled with digital.

Well, I'm definitely glad to see you write..."moving up a step from FF DSLR to 5x4"..you sure got it right there. It is an upward progression :)

andymatthews
18-Apr-2011, 10:38
Welcome to group therapy! :) You'll find composing and correcting distortions in-camera on the ground glass will be enlightening...its a whole different world under the dark cloth! I'm impressed with how well you've done without rises/falls and swings/tilts...you've got a good eye.

Thanks. I've been using a 24mm Nikon shift lens and stitching 2 or 3 horizontal shots together to get a format more like the traditional 5 x 4. It's working for now but I'd like to go a bit further.

Once my 30 days is up I'm off to the classifieds to see what I can find.

andymatthews
18-Apr-2011, 10:39
Hi Andy & welcome! I'm new to LF too and I'm learning & trying new things with it everyday...it's been very gratifying for me and the enjoyment I get from it is far far better from when I muddled with digital.

Well, I'm definitely glad to see you write..."moving up a step from FF DSLR to 5x4"..you sure got it right there. It is an upward progression :)

I'm sure there's loads more to learn. Ultimately I will be getting a digital back for paid jobs but want to get used to using film first to really slow me down and consider everything before pressing that shutter release.