View Full Version : Upcoming Show in Albuquerque, May 7th

Kirk Gittings
14-Apr-2011, 12:13
THE CITY OF ALBUQUERQUE
OPEN SPACE VISITOR CENTER PRESENTS IN THE ART GALLERY:

“Urge to Wander”

Photographs by Kirk Gittings

&

“Arid Harvest” Photographs by David Ondrik (Reception Area)

What:The photographs of Kirk Gittings: Architecture, Landscape (Main Gallery)

The photographs of David Ondrik: Arid Harvest (Reception Area)

Where: Open Space Visitor Center, Art Gallery

6500 Coors Blvd., NW,

(Between Montaņo & Paseo del Norte at Bosque Meadows Rd.)
Albuquerque, New Mexico

505-897-8831

When: May 7th – June 28th, 2011

OPENING RECEPTION: Saturday May 7th, 3:00 – 5:00 pm Free Admission

Contact: Joshua Willis, Parks & Recreation Dept., Open Space Division, 505-897-8856, jrwillis@cabq.gov

www.cabq.gov/openspace

Kirk Gittings has worked as a professional photographer for his entire career. His photographs document the layering of archeological history with that of modernity. Kirk will show a collection of photographs that interpret the environments of the desert, the people who choose to live there and the structures they create past and present. Included in the exhibit will be a portfolio of images commissioned by City of Albuquerque Public Art program on the Open Space staff at work in the landscape.

“What I love most about New Mexico and the Southwest is it's deep rich past. I have walked old Native American trails, the Chaco roads, the Camino Real and Santa Fe Trails. I sense that, wherever I walk, I step in the footprints of Pueblo Indians, Spanish Friars, Conquistadors or U.S. Cavalry. It is the lingering patina of these personae, and the gods they prayed to, that lies behind the sense of presence that I try to evoke in my images.”

http://sitemanager.sitewelder.com/users/KirkGittings2359/images/KirkGittings23591366781.jpg

Kirk Gittings, Piedra Lisa Open Space

More about Kirk on this website:

www.gittingsphoto.com

Also in the Open Space Visitor Reception area:

David Ondrik: Arid Harvest

David will display a body of work exploring the food that is being sustainability grown in the high desert of Albuquerque, New Mexico.

http://sitemanager.sitewelder.com/users/KirkGittings2359/images/KirkGittings23591366782.jpg

David Ondrik, Carrot Bundles

More about David of this website:

aridharvests.com

The Open Space Visitor Center and gallery is located at 6500 Coors Blvd. NW between Montaņo Rd. and Paseo del Norte at the end of Bosque Meadows Rd. The Center is open Tuesday through Sunday, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM and closed Mondays. Call 897-8831 for more information or visit www.cabq.gov/openspace/visitorcenter.html

Kirk Gittings
14-Apr-2011, 12:15
I hope to see some of you there!

Kirk Keyes
14-Apr-2011, 13:25
I wish I could be there. I've always enjoyed your photos.

bob carnie
15-Apr-2011, 06:29
How many days drive from Denver to this location?
I am planning a trip to see the Brett Weston show in Colorado.
Then back to Chicago for some photoshop training.
June is doable

I hope to see some of you there!

Kirk Gittings
15-Apr-2011, 07:10
Hmmm Brett Weston. I'm not sure I can compete with that........anyway it is 440 miles Bob-about a 6 hour drive. I could have have some Dumonte on ice waiting for you. :D If you can't come down maybe I could come up and meet you in Denver. Two of my kids and all my grandkids live in Denver-so I get up there often-always looking for an excuse.

This show is for a small commission I did for the city and filled out with earlier work. 3/4s LF. Some silver, some ink, some Piezography.

matthew blais
15-Apr-2011, 07:57
Congrats! Hope it goes well Kirk

Jan Pietrzak
15-Apr-2011, 09:08
Kirk,

I am not sure it so far away.
Lets see 3: to 5: May the 7th
OK, just for you.

Jan Pietrzak

Eric Biggerstaff
15-Apr-2011, 09:10
Congrats Kirk!

Wish I could see it, I have always been a fan of you and your work.

Jan Pietrzak
15-Apr-2011, 11:03
Kirk,

Oh, I forgot that I am not living in SoCal any more, but even then a hour or two to get to an opening was a piece of cake. And that was only 30 miles away. See you on the 7th.

Jan Pietrzak

bob carnie
15-Apr-2011, 11:50
6 hours is a piece of cake, I would love to see the exhibit, I will email you when we are on the way to Colorado,, I am not worried about the Dumonte, just don't get a head start on me and we will be ok.
It looks like the Canadians Invade Kentucky is finally on, Paul is negotiating the last little details on space, with that in mind , maybe meeting some local business people in your area would be in order and the Canadians can then Invade New Mexico , after we demolish Kentucky.

Hmmm Brett Weston. I'm not sure I can compete with that........anyway it is 440 miles Bob-about a 6 hour drive. I could have have some Dumonte on ice waiting for you. :D If you can't come down maybe I could come up and meet you in Denver. Two of my kids and all my grandkids live in Denver-so I get up there often-always looking for an excuse.

This show is for a small commission I did for the city and filled out with earlier work. 3/4s LF. Some silver, some ink, some Piezography.

gene LaFord
15-Apr-2011, 14:46
Congrats Kirk! Wish I could be there to see the exhibit.

gene

Kirk Gittings
15-Apr-2011, 15:06
Thanks everybody! I was over there today working on the layout. We will have some food too at the opening but no booz-the city won't allow it.

Nathan Potter
15-Apr-2011, 17:38
How many days drive from Denver to this location?
I am planning a trip to see the Brett Weston show in Colorado.
Then back to Chicago for some photoshop training.
June is doable

Hey Bob, Denver to Albuquerque gets you through some splendid territory. Take some time with camera and check out Pueblo CO., Great Dunes Nat. Park, the Spanish Peaks, Taos NM., the high road to Santa Fe, Madrid NM.; all on route. You'll be inspired by Bretts work and then by Kirks. Go for it!

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Steve Sherman
15-Apr-2011, 19:06
Whoa fellas,

Gittings, Carnie and Dumonte, let's just say been there done that...

Best wishes with the exhibit Kirk, wish I could join in the fun

Cheers

cdholden
15-Apr-2011, 20:57
Hey Bob, Denver to Albuquerque gets you through some splendid territory. Take some time with camera and check out Pueblo CO., Great Dunes Nat. Park, the Spanish Peaks, Taos NM., the high road to Santa Fe, Madrid NM.; all on route. You'll be inspired by Bretts work and then by Kirks. Go for it!

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Ah yes, Pueblo, CO. The Royal Gorge is worth a stop. Kind of touristy, but very pretty.

Gary Nylander
15-Apr-2011, 22:25
Congrats on your show, Kirk, I admire your work.

Kirk Gittings
23-Apr-2011, 09:56
Now announced on the city website:
KG Show (http://www.cabq.gov/openspace/UpcomingExhibitVisitorCenter.html)

Kirk Gittings
4-May-2011, 06:44
Bump.
A reminder the show's opening is Saturday.

Jan Pietrzak
7-May-2011, 21:43
Let's see, Saturday afternoon, looking at great photographs, talking with old and new friends. Spending time with Kirk and his lovely wife after the opening what more can you ask. Go see the show if you can, a wall of new work and a lot of old friends on the other walls.

Kirk thank you for a great time and wonderful work

Jan Pietrzak

Kirk Gittings
8-May-2011, 19:24
Great opening! I had a blast. Thanks to all you LF guys from all over New Mexico who came, Jan, Chauncy, Jim, Ralph, Craig, Thebes, Bill....hmm crap I'm forgetting a couple. Anyway thanks for the support and great conversation. And thanks Jan for all the help and the great conversation over dinner. You and Gale are great people. Good to have you in New Mexico.