PDA

View Full Version : Ray McSavaney: Exploring the Monument Valley Region, May 15 to 19, 2011

Eric Biggerstaff
11-Apr-2011, 15:38
Exploring Seldom Seen Areas of the Monument Valley Region
Dates: May 15 to 19, 2011
Workshop Price: $1,250
Deposit: $175

This workshop will take place mainly in areas that most people that have been to Monument Valley have not explored and have only seen from a distance, often not realizing the amazing visual possibilities that exist beyond the areas they have explored. The highlight of the workshop will be an overnight trip to the top of Hunt's Mesa, an area to the south of what most people consider to the be the heart of Monument Valley. This high mesa looks down on Monument Valley, where most people have take pictures of widely known rock formations, in a manner that almost resembles an aerial photograph and encompasses distant lanscape beyond. This new perspective from along the edge of Hunt's Mesa will offer many different and exiting possibilities of the grand landscape. The time of the workshop has been planned for mid-May, after the spring winds have died down and before the heat brings gnats and other bugs that would interfere with the photography experience. As an added bonus the workshop has been scheduled to coincide with the full moon. This will give us the possibility of a moonrise to the east and the more exiting option of a moon setting to the west in the early morning, overlooking Monument Valley. In addition, there will be the opportunity for soem night photography illuminated by moonlight. This trip has been planned to take advantage of some sites not ordinarily featured on a Hunt's Mesa tour. While driving to and from this overnight desitination, we will explore a couple of seldom visited ruin sites and a pothole arch. The food for the main meals, dinner and breakfast, will be provided by the outfitters and snacks will be provided by the workshop. Other exciting field locations will be selected, depended on the current weather and cloud conditions.

A non-refundable deposit of $175 will hold your workshop place.

Please contact Eric Biggerstaff at eric@ericbiggerstaff.com for a registration form. One will be emailed to you with instructions on where to send the deposit.

Bonus: Two new, never before printed photographs will be offered for a limited time at one half of Ray McSavaney's normal gallery price. The images are available at a special price of $300 for an approximately 5X14 inch photograph and $400 for an approximately 7X20 inch photographs.

"Monument Valley from Hunt's Mesa, 2008" was taken after a Southwest Landscape workshop. John Sexton, Anne Larsen and I had set aside time to explore an area that we had always waned to visit, Hunts Mesa. An overnight trip had provided an opportunity to photograph this magical landscape from a different perspective. THe late afternoon offered faint clouds but sunrise offered only a clear sky, which required rethinking my initial desires of a glorious cloud formations to the realities of the time. The resulting photograph emphasizes the expansive space.

"Aspen Grove, near Independence Pass, Colorado, 1992" was taken shortly before publication of my book, "Explorations". When the designer and I decided to use an image of this aspen grove for the endpapers, taken at dusk in the late spring of 1986, I decided to revisit the area to see if I could find something that would work even better. After finishing a fall workshop in Moab, Utah I arrived at the grove at almost the same time as the previous negative had been taken. Most of the trees were bare, as before, and the lighting conditions were similiar. The negatives were developed but due to time constraints of the book, the negatives were not printed and remained untouched until recently.

Please contact Eric Biggerstaff at eric@ericbiggerstaff.com and I will mail you information about both workshops and prints.

Darin Boville
11-Apr-2011, 19:50
Is it just me or does sample pict #2 have a pronounced tilt?

--Darin

CP Goerz
11-Apr-2011, 20:34
It may be accurate in a geological sense, have never seen this angle before so don't know for sure.

Eric Biggerstaff
12-Apr-2011, 06:16
If there is an issue with pic#2 then it is not Ray but my crop, I had to scan them from a brochure and I must of done that. I am looking at the brochure now and the horizon is as straight as straight can be.

Eric Biggerstaff
12-Apr-2011, 10:27
To clarify, the print purchase opportunity is open to anyone who would like one, not just workshop participants. If interested, contact me and I will mail details to you. The actual prints are stunning and my scans do not do them justice.

Eric Biggerstaff
19-Apr-2011, 16:18
There are a few spots left on this one. Send me an email if interested and I will email you the information.

Thanks,
Eric