PDA

View Full Version : Toyo Robos 4x5

Bernard Negrin
13-Feb-2001, 14:38
Hello All, I am new to LF photography and I have recently made contact with someone who is selling a Toyo Robos (in good condition). Has anyone out there had any experience with this Toyo model?? I was told it was discontinued back in '95-'96. What did these originally go fo r new and how good is this model? I read the specs from an old catalog and foun d the specs to offer a lot for a camera. Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks to all. Bernard

Stewart Ethier
13-Feb-2001, 22:57
ROBOS stands for Radically Oriented Bi-Axial Operating System. This is an impressive camera, which looks something like a Sinar P2. Consulting an old Shutterbug (1/96), it sold for $4295 in the US (vs. $3115 for the 45GX), but keep in mind that US prices of Toyo gear are artificially inflated by Mamiya America Corp.

The Robos was still a current model in Japan in 10/97, and a pricelist I have shows it listed there for 406,000 yen (vs. 366,000 yen for the 45GX). Street prices were at least 20 percent lower, as I recall.

I think it would make a great studio camera, but at 12 pounds would be a bit heavy for field work...

photos3
6-Sep-2021, 14:59
I've had a Toyo Robos for a long time. I wanted a view camera with fully geared movements like the Sinar P series cameras. It has them. But it is very heavy if you want to use it in the field. But I knew what I was getting into. It comes with a convenient trunk like case that is very innovative in that the camera is suspended upside down in the case so that you don't have to break it down after use other than removing the back and lens. I do use it outside as long as I can drive right up to the place that I want to shoot. It would be good for interiors because it is designed to be used inside. You need a VERY sturdy tripod. I have one of Manfrotto's largest Aluminum tripods with one of their biggest 3 way pan heads. I use it with a 65mm lens. So I bought a bag bellows for it. The standard bellows doesn't allow for many movements. I also use a recessed lens board with the 65mm lens. I use a Toyo 6X7 roll film back which is a joy to use though it's thicker than the Cambo roll film back and the Sinar roll film back. With a roll film back, it's still more economical that buying a phase one back though I have to send the velvia film off to Kansas to get developed. The last local lab closed a few years ago and trashed their machinery. It was a sad day. As I know how to develop B and W film, I may end up switching to B and W roll film for convenience though I"m more familiar with slide film. It is really an ideal product and interior camera, if that's what you are looking for. If you photograph mostly exteriors, then a Toyo field camera or the 125VX would be better. I have a Horseman 2X3 field camera that I use with a horseman 90mm lens. I've tried my 65mm lens on the Horseman with excellent results, but with little room for movements because the Schneider 65mm 5.6 lens is much larger than the original horseman lens. So get the Toyo Field camera instead the Horseman.

Neal Chaves
6-Sep-2021, 20:42
I have the Robos and it is excellent. I was only discontinued because of patent disputes with Sinar. Toyo had plans for 5X7 and 8X10 which were never produced. The original bellows had pinholes even though the camera had never been used, typical Toyo, so I replaced with Dynatect which compress as tightly as the originals. These are great cameras for the money, and they accept readily available Toyo accessories.

bourvil
2-Aug-2022, 08:31
Dear fellow photographers,

I am chiming in this thread with the question whether anyone of you have or willing to do a digital copy of a Toyo Robos manual. I have basic experience what to expect from this camera but would definitel benefit from getting the information as any customer would. Can you point me to any more info about this camera? As even google seems that for it this camera is almost non existent.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

tgtaylor
2-Aug-2022, 09:30

I am chiming in this thread with the question whether anyone of you have or willing to do a digital copy of a Toyo Robos manual. I have basic experience what to expect from this camera but would definitel benefit from getting the information as any customer would. Can you point me to any more info about this camera? As even google seems that for it this camera is almost non existent.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

http://toyoview.com/AskToyo/toyo_orderbklts.html

Thomas

bourvil
2-Aug-2022, 13:18
http://toyoview.com/AskToyo/toyo_orderbklts.html

Thomas

Thanks, this resource seems wery usefull, but not for me, as I am located in the middle of a Europe. So, any other way how to get to these materials?

r.e.
2-Aug-2022, 14:05
Thanks, this resource seems wery usefull, but not for me, as I am located in the middle of a Europe. So, any other way how to get to these materials?

This is pretty weird. Even if you're in the U.S. there's no way to order and pay for the user manual electronically. It appears that you have to send the MAC Group a check for $8.00 via the post. I was going to offer to get the manual for you, but I can't remember the last time that I wrote a check and I'm not sure that I even have any. I suppose I could go to the Post Office and buy a money order, something that I haven't done in years :)

The MAC Group distributes Toyo in the U.S., and it appears that it may own the brand. MAC Group contacts are on this page: https://www.macgroupus.com/contact-directory

If you scroll down, you'll find the name and e-mail address of the woman in charge of Toyo. You'll also find MAC Group e-mail addresses and phone numbers for its UK office and for affiliates in France and Germany. It might be worth sending an e-mail to, or phoning, one or more of these contacts.

xkaes
2-Aug-2022, 15:00
The Robos look like incredible studio gear -- like the Sinar. The good thing is that -- in the US anyway -- you can get them for about ten percent of the original cost.

Oren Grad
2-Aug-2022, 15:08
This is the current European distributor:

https://www.toyoview.co.uk/

Most of the the US Toyo View website posted by MAC Group hasn't been updated in years. Re brands, MAC Group started as Mamiya America Corporation and IIRC they held the Mamiya trademark in the US. That's moot now, with Mamiya fully absorbed into Phase One and the brand no longer in commercial use for photographic products. (The non-photographic parts of Mamiya still survive in Japan: https://www.mamiya-op.co.jp/)

I've never seen any evidence that MAC Group holds or held the rights to the Toyo View trademark.

bourvil
13-Mar-2023, 09:26

it is a shame and with some searching I should find the solution but: can you please clearly explain me how to use the Robos ground glass for focusing? I am somehow familiar with a way how to focus, when you have a scale on a focusing knob (eg. Sinars, Toyo 45GX etc...) but I am unsure what role has the Robos ground glass where there are pairs of lines approximately in a 1/3 from one side to another (in horizontal or vertical mode of a view) - I assume this a reference line for focusing when the tilt is used but how the whole process works effectively, it is still a mystery for me. For complete walkthrough i will be very grateful, as a novice (who has problems to understand that 2+2 is 4 even here in LF)

Thank for a reply and best regards

bourvil
13-Mar-2023, 09:29
This is the current European distributor:

https://www.toyoview.co.uk/

Most of the the US Toyo View website posted by MAC Group hasn't been updated in years. Re brands, MAC Group started as Mamiya America Corporation and IIRC they held the Mamiya trademark in the US. That's moot now, with Mamiya fully absorbed into Phase One and the brand no longer in commercial use for photographic products. (The non-photographic parts of Mamiya still survive in Japan: https://www.mamiya-op.co.jp/)

I've never seen any evidence that MAC Group holds or held the rights to the Toyo View trademark.

This site ceased to operate apparently, I am little worried about the future of a Toyo, even nowadays when these mechines emergers from the grave of time once again... Fingers crossed as I need some spare parts from manufacturer and I am thankfully waiting while they are about to start machines once again...

B.S.Kumar
13-Mar-2023, 18:54
This site ceased to operate apparently, I am little worried about the future of a Toyo, even nowadays when these mechines emergers from the grave of time once again... Fingers crossed as I need some spare parts from manufacturer and I am thankfully waiting while they are about to start machines once again...

Send me a message or email regarding the parts you need. The ROBOS has been discontinued, but some parts may still be available and I may be able to help.

Kumar