PDA

View Full Version : DeVere 8x10 Varicontrast Head Information

Richard K.
7-Apr-2011, 12:39
Can't find anything on this 8x10 head at all! How well does it work? Capability for addition of ND? Reliable? Value compared to colour head?

Anyone? :)

Richard K.
7-Apr-2011, 18:19
So, nobody knows nothng about this head... :confused: :)

Richard K.
13-Apr-2011, 14:48
Nobody at all...:(

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
13-Apr-2011, 15:08
I am sure the only varicontrast head ever delivered for or with The DeVere was the Ilford Multigrade head in the 8x10" version.

Richard K.
13-Apr-2011, 16:14
I am sure the only varicontrast head ever delivered for or with The DeVere was the Ilford Multigrade head in the 8x10" version.

I have *reason to believe that there was a DeVere Varicontrast head available for the 5108 enlarger that allowed one to select either Ilford Multi-Grade or Kodak Poly Contrast calibration...

*I bought such an 8x10 enlarger +De Vere varicontrast head just this morning :) :D

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
13-Apr-2011, 16:20
Congratulations ! Post a picture for us!

Richard K.
13-Apr-2011, 16:25
Congratulations ! Post a picture for us!

Thanks Gudmundur..:) I will post but it's at KHB being prettified and fitted with wall mounts instead of the free standing table so that I can make 20x24 prints and still fit the unit into my darkroom! It will take a few weeks (or a couple of months - Kevin is VERY busy) but I will post when it's installed...

Fred L
13-Apr-2011, 17:10
Hey Richard,

I've got the Vario head on my 504 and although I don't use vc as much as graded, I prefer it over cmy colourheads by a wide margin.

Don't recall ND capabilities but can check.

Richard K.
13-Apr-2011, 20:05
Hey Richard,

I've got the Vario head on my 504 and although I don't use vc as much as graded, I prefer it over cmy colourheads by a wide margin.

Hey Fred, is it De Vere or Ilford branded? I've seen reference to this head for the 504 but hardly ever for the 5108...

Why do you prefer it over a colour head? My inclination is to keep this although Kevin is willing to swap it out for a colour head...

Fred L
13-Apr-2011, 20:22
Devere. Don't print colour and adjusting cmy for VC is a PITA to me. Call me crazy but I love printing graded. Interesting about the head though. There's backlighting for Polycontrast and Multigrade but only MG lights up...

Richard K.
13-Apr-2011, 20:27
Call me crazy but I love printing graded....

So what paper are you using these days?

Fred L
13-Apr-2011, 20:38
Liking Kentmere but haven't tried the latest batch yet. Have this fear it's not the same since they were bought out...of course I would need to be in the darkroom but haven't had time...usual story