PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a print to UAE

Jim Fitzgerald
6-Apr-2011, 10:43
I've sold one of my prints to a collector in Dubai. The print will be 14x18 matted but not framed. FedEx seems to be a good way to go and as I do not ship internationally I was looking for advice on the best way to go. Packaging, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cdholden
6-Apr-2011, 11:07
One thing I see that puts FedEx above the rest: if you use their packaging, they have/had an "art box". I don't have the exact sizing, but it's designed for hanging work instead of cubed/rectangle packaging. I was able to ship a framed 16x20 with room for more. It's oversize, so normal rates get additional fees tacked on. My local Kinko's offers this, but I have never tried to get one direct from FedEx.

Chris

toolbox
6-Apr-2011, 11:35
You might also check Uline (www.uline.com) for a box...they've got several styles of art boxes. Prices are great too. I get all my shipping boxes there...
Fedex is probably your best bet for getting it there in one piece. I have a looming sense of dread whenever I hear UPS is going to be bringing a package to my door...I swear they have a "damage guarantee" on everything I get or send through them. Fedex is great though. USPS is good too, but you're probably way over the size limit.

Richard Wasserman
6-Apr-2011, 11:42
I wouldn't rule out USPS. Their size limit is 108 combined inches and they won't charge brokerage fees. I ship things all over the world and use the good old post office quite successfully (not for artwork, however). I second the recommendation for Uline.

Jon Shiu
6-Apr-2011, 11:59
I'd use the post office. You can get sheets of masonite and sandwich your matted print in that and tape the edges up. Then wrap in brown paper and tape.

Jon

ps I usually wrap the poly bagged matted print in brown paper and tape that package to one of the boards so it doesn't move around.

vinny
6-Apr-2011, 12:38
Uline requires a minimun qty of nearly every box they sell but they do have them.
Jim, I've shipped prints overseas using usps w/o any problems. I use 1/4" luan as its strong and light, easy enought to cut w/ a utitily knife (score backside). Sandwhich the print between two pieces to keep it from getting dog-eared or bent. Put that in any box and you should be good.

Frank Petronio
6-Apr-2011, 12:49
I usually take two pieces of foamcore and sandwich everything and seal every edge with packing tape. It can be mailed relatively inexpensively but then again, my prints haven't been expensive. If on the rare event something goes wrong, it is easy to send another with modest shipping costs, in the teens of dollars.

If I used a box and wood for further protection, the shipping goes up a lot, so it depends what the pricing and expectations are.... I wouldn't expect a $600 print to come in a foamcore sandwich but a $200 print might be fine -- it shouldn't cost $100 to ship either.

Jim Fitzgerald
6-Apr-2011, 13:16
Thanks for all of the recommendations. The print is one of my carbon transfer prints and even though it is not hugely expensive I will more than likely take Vinny's advice and use some Luan and package it up nicely. I checked with FedEx and they said it would be a good idea to put a hard surface around it in case of puncture. My client will pay shipping and I will give him the options. I checked the USPS website and the shipping is about half of FedEX. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Thanks for all of the help.Nice to have such great people helping out.

sanchi heuser
6-Apr-2011, 18:24
Sometimes the customs opens a package to control
the contents.
O.K. everybody knows that.
But ever thought if the people always know how to handle
a fine print correctly ?

I had worked nearly two decades in transport and have seen many
transport workers, customs people and police agents handling
or inspecting goods. Around half of them are unable or unwilling to
handle goods appropiately. Sorry, if anybody feels blamed, but
it's just what I noticed all the time.

I would recommend to pack a print in a transparent plastic sleeve
(chemically harmless to the print) so that the print can be expected without
geting in contact with the hands or being exposed to the curiousity to feel
that uncommon texture of an alternative print.
Additionally an sticker on the sleeve which says that the print could be damaged
when touched even with clean hands, for the case someone wants to
put the print out of the sleeve.

Then do the rest of the packaging.
I would choose the material that even the dumbest retard could repackage
safely for further transport:rolleyes:

And never mention the word "art" anywhere.
Some people get aggressive when they hear that term.
For them art is only rip-off.
And in the transport chain it' easy find another one who can be blamed for
damaging a package (a popular sport in that business)
- if you know what I mean.

Good luck
Andi

Jim Fitzgerald
6-Apr-2011, 18:33
Andi, great advice. Thank you.

Noah A
6-Apr-2011, 19:29
I'd use two pieces of masonite. Luan might be lighter but masonite has no splinters and not too much dust once it is cut.

You can use archival paper corners and tape to hold the print centered on the first piece of masonite. Then tape another piece so the work is in the middle. If they do open the package, unless they really want to get their hands on the work, they can see it without removing it from the masonite. A sleeve would still be a good idea just in case.

And I always use USPS for international shipping.

Jim Fitzgerald
6-Apr-2011, 20:01
Noah, thanks.A lot to consider.