PDA

View Full Version : Can't Remember Name of 8x10 Enlarger

Richard K.
31-Mar-2011, 15:00
I'm thinking of getting an 8x10 enlarger BUT my darkroom ceiling is only 6'6" above the darkroom floor. I kind of doubt that a Durst or De Vere would fit. Would a Beseler? I'm trying without success to remember the name of a more compact model that was sold back in the late 80s but it's not coming to me. Anyone? Thank you!!

Oren Grad
31-Mar-2011, 15:05
Beseler 45MXT with 8x10 conversion?

Zone VI with short column and 8x10 head?

William Whitaker
31-Mar-2011, 15:16
Build yourself a horizontal enlarger?...

Richard K.
31-Mar-2011, 15:21
Beseler 45MXT with 8x10 conversion?

Zone VI with short column and 8x10 head?

Nope...nope...but hmmm, there was such a thing? Hmmm...

Build yourself a horizontal enlarger?...

Well the room width is not a whole lot more than its height...:(

Oren Grad
31-Mar-2011, 15:23
Salthill?

Here's a thread for you:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/49410-compact-tiny-8x10-enlarger.html

Brian C. Miller
31-Mar-2011, 15:53
Omega made a "compact" 8x10 enlarger. I saw it once at a local store, and its design was similar to a Besseler.

Here's a thought: make a temporary enlarger out of your current camera. Take a negative, and tape it to the ground glass. Put a bright lamp behind that and cover it with your dark cloth or whatever. How much distance do you need to focus the image on the wall at the enlargement size you want? If you want to get closer, use a wider lens.

Or just send the film out to a good lab and have them make the print.

Roger Cole
31-Mar-2011, 16:22
Or just send the film out to a good lab and have them make the print.

For some of us (granted not for everyone) that's like a musician, not just a composer, settling for sending his own composition off to someone else to play and send him back a recording.

cowanw
31-Mar-2011, 18:03
I have my Zone vi 8x10 set up 18 inches above my basement floor with a 7 ft high ceiling.

Richard K.
31-Mar-2011, 18:27
That Kienzle (thanks for the link Oren) looks kinda like what I think I remember! Could it have been marketed under another name? Did Kaiser make an 8x10?

ic-racer
31-Mar-2011, 18:36
That Kienzel is nice, but if you have 5.5 feet above your 36" counter to raise that to the top, you will have enough ceiling for a 'real' 8x10 enlarger, with the added advantage of being able to drop the baseboard down toward the ground.

jeroldharter
31-Mar-2011, 18:37
Beseler MXT with the 8x10 conversion kit is what you are referring to. Another option for short ceilings is to build a drop table, especially if you don't routinely enlarge maximally

Brian C. Miller
31-Mar-2011, 19:13
For some of us (granted not for everyone) that's like a musician, not just a composer, settling for sending his own composition off to someone else to play and send him back a recording.

But if you are a pianist and only have the space for a toy piano, then it's a decision you'll have to live with. When I lived in an 18ft travel trailer, I routinely took my stuff to a lab for enlargement, and the lab also did my color processing. My current apartment has a sloped ceiling and at its maximum it's less than 7ft high, so I have a Photar 8x10 enlarger in storage. At some point I'll be able to set it up, but not right now. Right now is make-do time, so I'll make do.

Jon Shiu
31-Mar-2011, 20:09
Kaiser advertised a table-top 8x10 enlarger, but I haven't come across an actual example.

Jon

Roger Cole
31-Mar-2011, 21:56
But if you are a pianist and only have the space for a toy piano, then it's a decision you'll have to live with. When I lived in an 18ft travel trailer, I routinely took my stuff to a lab for enlargement, and the lab also did my color processing. My current apartment has a sloped ceiling and at its maximum it's less than 7ft high, so I have a Photar 8x10 enlarger in storage. At some point I'll be able to set it up, but not right now. Right now is make-do time, so I'll make do.

I do understand, really. I (probably) would have room for one but need to get the darkroom built out for normal sized stuff first, then I'd have to find one of the things (not that hard) and arrange to get it to me (probably much harder) then probably move it when I move (again.) They're just not terribly practical for most home darkrooms, one reason among others that I don't have an 8x10 camera.

fuegocito
31-Mar-2011, 21:57
I have my Elwood sitting on the floor, not very comfortable when printing but it works.

Robert

Mark Woods
31-Mar-2011, 23:22
I have a Bessler MX 4x5 with the Bessler 8x10 head in a darkroom with 6.5' ceiling. I made it so I sit on an 18" stool to do the prints. I also built a drop shelf, although I haven't used it yet. This is a very easy set up. Gives me a bit of exercise from sitting down and standing to do the processing. I like it very much.

Roger Cole
1-Apr-2011, 00:18
Do these Beseler heads ever come up on the forum or eBay? Don't want one now (more 4x5 stuff to get first) but 8x10...wow. ;-)

Christopher Nisperos
1-Apr-2011, 03:42
I'm thinking of getting an 8x10 enlarger BUT my darkroom ceiling is only 6'6" above the darkroom floor. I kind of doubt that a Durst or De Vere would fit. Would a Beseler? I'm trying without success to remember the name of a more compact model that was sold back in the late 80s but it's not coming to me. Anyone? Thank you!!

Reinhel and Kienzle.

Jeff Bannow
1-Apr-2011, 05:11
De Vere has a conversion kit for tabletop use. KHB in Toronto sells the kit for a reasonable price.

Richard K.
1-Apr-2011, 06:21
Reinhel ........

Now THAT'S starting to sound familiar. Anyone have a link to a photo of one?

Christopher Nisperos
2-Apr-2011, 03:22
Now THAT'S starting to sound familiar. Anyone have a link to a photo of one?

The concept was simply an 8x10 head on their 5x7 chassis. Here's a photo of the chassis:

http://chez.nepo.free.fr/images/ReinhelS75.JPG

Though they no longer build these (to my knowledge) the manufacturer is still around, and may be able to help you locate a used chassis and head. NOTE: With the exception of the relatively few models sold in the U.S., I believe that such used equipment will only be available here in France itself (I see them pop up here, once in awhile). The manufacturer's website isn't even up, so just call and ask for Eric Charpiot, whom I suppose is still there. As I recall, his English is OK. If you fax, however, you might wait a lifetime for an answer... it's France (translation: cross-language inquiries are very often ignored by smaller --and some bigger-- French companies, though I'm not accusing Charpiot in particular .. But you can try, and see for yourself!)

CHARPIOT REINHEL
4, rue Sauvageot Ducroisy
10130 Ervy-le-Châtel , FRANCE

Tel: +33/ 3 25 70 50 39
Fax: +33/ 3 25 70 56 71

As a suggestion: Since it seems you don't mind importing, you'd probably be better-off going to my friend, Wolfgang Kienzle (His father co-designed the Leica Focomat IIC ... see the last post here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/42381-primos-kienzle-a66-enlarger.html ). His company is fully in business, making enlargers right now in the digital age.... that's why I think it's important to support him. Sometimes he has second-hand goods in stock, and he can even custom-make what you need ... plus he answers his faxes, emails and calls!

KIENZLE PHOTOTECHNIK
(Wolfgang Kienzle, Engineer-Director)
Fockenbrunnen 11
D-72218 Wildberg
Tel: +49/ 70 54 84 36
Fax: +49/ 70 54 85 39
email: kienzle-phototechnik@t-online.de
(http://www.kienzle-phototechnik.de/Enlarger.html)

Either way you choose, good luck!

Best,

Christopher

Richard K.
2-Apr-2011, 06:58
GREATLY appreciate your help Christopher, I will investigate!

Robert Skeoch
2-Apr-2011, 07:10
Hey Richard,

You can always check out my Bessler with the conversion cold head. I think it's great and certainly could be lowered... although that might become a pain to print with.

-rob

Richard K.
2-Apr-2011, 08:58
Hey Richard,

You can always check out my Bessler with the conversion cold head. I think it's great and certainly could be lowered... although that might become a pain to print with.

-rob

Why didn't you say something in the first place? :) Can you post photo or PM me?