PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about my lens, please

soeren
28-Mar-2011, 23:29
Some time ago I purchased this lens and I have searched the web and vade mecum for information but only found out its a triple anastigmat. the focal lenght is 216mm.
And other data as below

Taylor & Hobson Cooke Series III

Modell: Taylor & Hobson
Type: Cooke Series III
Seriennummer: 19009
Jahr: c.1914

8x5 inch, brass lens engraved: sole consignee for Russia I.I. Karpoff

Anybody who knows more about this lens?
Best regards

Steven Tribe
29-Mar-2011, 01:02
Kære Søren!

You will find this in the 1920 Burke and James TT&H "Cooke" listing for 1920 in the resources section of cameraeccentric website. The 8 1/2" size is, as you say, made for 5x8". They describe it as "general purpose" objective. There must be more in Vade Mecum?

soeren
29-Mar-2011, 01:39
Found that too. Well if there is more about it vade Mecum Im unable to dechiffer it I'm afraid. There is a lot about Taylor Taylor & Hobson but not so much about the Series III lenses. That is the different focal lenghts are mentioned.
Best regards

Steven Tribe
29-Mar-2011, 03:00
I found more than a page in my version. I note that series III is written as Series 111 in my copy which might make it difficult to do a text search in the long TT&H section.

soeren
29-Mar-2011, 07:11
Yeah. The design(Tay001) is mentioned and the different focallenghts listed but nothing about the russian connection.
Best regards

Jim Galli
29-Mar-2011, 07:41
Series III is the slower. lighter, smaller, cheaper f6.5 version of the venerable Cooke Triplet. A very usable and desirable lens. They were ideal for Graflex 1/2 plate, 5X7, 13X18 etc cameras. Very sharp.

Here's an image done with 5X7 Speed Graphic and my Series II of the same focus.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Harrahs121308/28ModelACooke.jpg
1928 Model A Ford

Emil Schildt
29-Mar-2011, 08:02
Yeah. The design(Tay001) is mentioned and the different focallenghts listed but nothing about the russian connection.
Best regards

the "Russian connection": could'nt it "just" be a named Russian that ordered the lens?

Steven Tribe
29-Mar-2011, 10:23
More likely the authorised TT&H importing agency based in St. Petersborg or Moscow.
This is what "sole consignee for Russia I.I. Karpoff" means!

cdholden
29-Mar-2011, 11:50
Some time ago I purchased this lens and I have searched the web and vade mecum for information but only found out its a triple anastigmat. the focal lenght is 216mm.
And other data as below

Taylor & Hobson Cooke Series III

Modell: Taylor & Hobson
Type: Cooke Series III
Seriennummer: 19009
Jahr: c.1914

8x5 inch, brass lens engraved: sole consignee for Russia I.I. Karpoff

Anybody who knows more about this lens?
Best regards

Would this have been made in a German facility? If so, where?
"Modell", "Seriennummer", and "Jahr" all appear to look German. Google Translate agrees.

soeren
30-Mar-2011, 01:40
No the info is from Leicashop hence the german phrases.
gandolfi and Steven. Yes thats one part Im very interested in.
Jim. Thanks, nice shot.
Best regards

Steven Tribe
30-Mar-2011, 01:48
Karpov was the big name in pre-1917 Photographic history. Made large tailboard camera etc. He also uses the spelling I.I.Karpoff.
www.photohistory.ru/Karpov.html
Plenty of images - but you will have to use Google translate for most of the text!

soeren
30-Mar-2011, 02:08
Thanks Steven.
Best regards

Lynn Jones
30-Mar-2011, 11:06
I've uses several Taylor, Taylor & Hoobson lenses, the company was always an excellent designer and maker. Cooke was an internationally recognized lens designer and TTH put his name on it. Dennis Taylor, astronomer and designer was not related to the Taylors in TTH, he wasn't terribly interested in photographic optics and sold his triplet design to TTH who in turn put Cooke's name on it.

Lynn