PDA

View Full Version : Drew bedo Selected for artist In Residency at Rocky Mountain National Park

Drew Bedo
28-Mar-2011, 11:54
Drew Bedo has been selected by the National Park Service as an Artist –In-Residence at Rocky Mountain National Park this summer. Bedo is one of several artists selected in this nationally competitive appointment for two week periods. Artists live within the Park creating relavent art and are housed at the William allen white cabin near the visitors Center.

For more information about this Residency go to: www.nps.gov/romo/index.htm
For information about Drew Bedo go to: www.quietlightphoto.com

venchka
28-Mar-2011, 12:06
WOW! Super! I look forward to seeing your prints from your time in the park. RMNP was the first national park I visited "on my own", my first road trip after high school.
Congratulations!

Preston
28-Mar-2011, 12:23
Congratulations, Drew! Have fun!

--P

Brian C. Miller
28-Mar-2011, 12:24
Excellent! Usually they just throw me out and tell me that they don't want homeless camera bums camping out there, and holler at me about mercury and Amidol. Sheesh, no appreciation of traditional techniques!

Scott Walker
28-Mar-2011, 12:30
Congrats Drew, sounds like a blast.

cdholden
28-Mar-2011, 15:49
Drew,
Hot Damn! You've made the big time. Congratulations!
Just getting out of Houston is a promotion in itself!

Chris

Heroique
28-Mar-2011, 16:20
Super news – and you’re the one who can show the public there’s more to Park photography than close-ups of cute animals!

Bill_1856
28-Mar-2011, 16:26
I thought that the government was supposed to be looking for a good way to cut out waste.

Mark Sawyer
28-Mar-2011, 16:29
My congratulations as well, Drew! It's good to know that such programs are still being supported. It's a rare opportunity, so appreciate where you're at and make some great images!

Monty McCutchen
28-Mar-2011, 16:35
Congratulations Drew.

Do you lean towards color or black and white for this appointment or a smattering of both? Your work in both is excellent.

Exciting, and I would be interested in hearing more than the announcement but what you envision for your stay there.

Once again great news.

Monty

Sal Santamaura
28-Mar-2011, 16:38
I thought that the government was supposed to be looking for a good way to cut out waste.What could possibly be wasteful about RMNP's Artist-In-Residence program? The White cabin is an historic structure already preserved within the park. Those selected don't get much more than the opportunity to stay in it for two weeks. They give the park a lot back in return. See the brochure for more details:

http://www.nps.gov/romo/supportyourpark/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&PageID=509269

Mark Sawyer
28-Mar-2011, 16:40
I thought that the government was supposed to be looking for a good way to cut out waste.

From the NPS:

"Selected artists stay in a historic, rustic cabin for two-week periods from June through September. No stipend is provided.

Artwork Donations
In return, participating artists are asked to donate to the park an original piece of artwork from, and representative of their residency in Rocky Mountain National Park. Donated artwork must be received no later than one year after an artist’s residency.

Artwork from visual artists should be framed with glass and prepared for hanging before donation. "

Artists also give copyright to the work and make two public presentations during their stay.

Where do you see the waste? Considering how the arts, photography especially, have benefitted the National Parks and preservation of the environment, and how little, if anything, this program costs, I'd call it anything but a waste...

Drew Bedo
28-Mar-2011, 19:02
Wow . . .thanks to everyone for all the great words of encouragement!

There are Artist-In-Residence programs like this at about 20 of the national parks and historical sites. This is one of he more comfortable ones. There is a Nat Pk in Washington State, "Gateway to The North" that is deep in the Cascades. There iare no accommodation facilities at all. You backpack in,and camp out on your own.

On the other hand, the National Park at Hot Springs Arkansas has a full-up house with a studio space and easel ideal for painters.

At RMNP, they let you stay in a historic cabin (130 yrs old) that used to belong to a famous writer and political pundit fo the early 1900s, William Allen White. He and his family summered in the Estes Park area for over thirty years. You stay free but must provide your own groceries. There is no per-dium or stipend for any of these, and they ask the artist to do a one hour public program once in each week.

Artists working in almost any art medium are invited to apply. I will be shooting both color and B&W. Mostly in 4x5, maybe some 8x10 if I can find a bargan on Ektachrome or Velvia somewhere.

I am a little intimidated by the project now after making the cut. Most of my work IS small stuff and close-up. There we'll be in the middle of some of the largest landscapes in God' Creation! Can there be enough front tilt to focus on rain filling an elk’s hoof print and still get in Long's Peak at sunrise?

Here is a link to the National Park website: http://www.nps.gov/acad/index.htm

David Lobato
28-Mar-2011, 23:19
Congratulations Drew. Wow. That's exciting news for you.

venchka
29-Mar-2011, 06:52
We, those of us in Houston, will have to plan a welcome home bash and gander at some of your photos when they are ready. Keep us posted. Do Texas proud!
If you would like some ideas for subject matter on the trip there & back, give us a shout. I think the trip to/from the mountains is at least as good as the destination.

Drew Bedo
29-Mar-2011, 09:32
Wayne: I am open to all ideas. E-Mail me any thoughts you have to: Drew_Bedo@yahoo.com

Thanks.

Drew