PDA

View Full Version : Good but inexpensive bag for heavy tripod suggestions

plwebb
28-Mar-2011, 10:01
I have a Bogen-Manfrotto 475 w/head that weighs just under 10 lbs. It's about 32" tall and about 18" around. I've searched around the 'net for bags and thought I had found a good one for about $12 but it turned out even though it was long enough it didn't seem to be big enough around. It said 4.5"x4.5" and each side of my tripod is about 6".
I thought about a nice strap but I live in rainy Oregon so thought a bag might better suit me.
A friend is coming out from AZ in a couple months and we're planning on a trip to eastern Oregon to photograph mustang horses out in the wild so I'd love to have something to carry my big ol' honkin' tripod by then :) And I got the tripod free about 3 years ago is why I have such a big tripod. If I'd bought one I definitely would've bought something a bit lighter!
Any suggestions? Thanks :)

Gem Singer
28-Mar-2011, 10:56
I have two Manfrotto 475's that I use for my relatively heavy 4x5 monorail and 5x7 metal cameras.

Braced legs make for solid support, and the center column crank is a handy feature.

I do not travel on airplanes or hike with them. When using them outdoors, I usually work close to my vehicle.

Shoulder straps on both make it easier to carry short distances.

Seems to me that a large bag would be a problem in the field to stow away after removing the tripod.

John Wiemer
28-Mar-2011, 11:05
I had the same problem with a much bigger tripod/head combination. I finally fournd one with a folding "camp chair" inside of it. It comes with the bag! I found it at REI although I suspect that they are available at multiple venues. The only problem with it is that the foot of the bag is not reinforced for spikes that you may have on your tripod legs. Enjoy.

Marc B.
28-Mar-2011, 11:14
Got any friends that are Veterans?
See if they will part with their duffel bag.
Army/Navy Surplus stores often have Duffel bags in colors other than OD green.
They're great for Tripods & Light stands, and they have either, two backpack straps, a shoulder strap, or sometimes both, plus a hand grip strap.
You might also look for an"A-3" bag. Those are bags with dimension of about 20"d X 22"h X 28"w. Good bags to consolidate much of your other gear into.

Frank Petronio
28-Mar-2011, 11:27
Frankly I would just use the Aluminum Bogen in the wet weather but for airline travel with some protection, a Lightware or Tenba padded soft cargo case will be the best.

Sometimes those golf discount places have $30 hard cases that will hold stands and tripods, if you can stand their looks ;-)

plwebb
28-Mar-2011, 12:46
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate them :)

I think I may reconsider and at least for this trip may just try to find a good tripod strap. I think I'll also have to go digging through my storage and try to find my cheaper, less sturdy but lighter and smaller, tripod :D
I'm not sure how much hiking we'll have to do. Not much I hope since I'm 61 and my friend is 52 but with M.S. so we can't hike as far as we used to be able to.

civich
28-Mar-2011, 17:59
A tote bag for a bicycle repair stand will get your tripod in a padded heavy nylon carry bag for under $30. The one I use for my Ries is probably longer than you need but several makers offer them in different sizes.
-Chris

matthew blais
28-Mar-2011, 20:52
Got o Goodwill and get a pair of large denim baggy jeans, cut off a leg and sew the bottom shut, add a strap. My yoga mat strap will work for a larger dimension tripod too I think..about $10 at Target

c.d.ewen
28-Mar-2011, 21:17
A tote bag for a bicycle repair stand will get your tripod in a padded heavy nylon carry bag for under $30. The one I use for my Ries is probably longer than you need but several makers offer them in different sizes.
-Chris

Chris:

I thank you every time I carry my Ries, because of the bag you suggested in this thread. (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=53847) The OP should consider it.

Charley

Richard Mahoney
29-Mar-2011, 03:41
Years ago, when I was a student, I decided to take a train from Wellington to Turoa and hitch back. Trouble was that I had a pack, but no bag for my skis. Not wanting to spend what little I had, I got hold of a length of medium weight off-white canvas, a zip, and got to work sewing. Later on I sold the skis, together with the bag. Although I never really missed the skis -- apart from the cracked edges -- the bag is a different matter. Cut in half it would have made a great tripod cover for the roof rack. I really should put aside an hour or two to make another.

Best,

Richard

alharding
7-Apr-2011, 19:27
I just got a pretty good one at Adorama for 30 bucks. They're line is pretty good and they've got a few varieties to choose from.

WootSK
24-Apr-2011, 17:16
-Chris

I am also using a tote bag if I am traveling far. For shorter distance and nearby, I use my trusty DIY tripod stripe using some bag stripe and a carabiner for quick release.:)