PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from San Diego

tnabbott
20-Mar-2011, 16:00
Hi All! I'm a hobby photographer currently using medium format cameras. I'm interested in learning about 4x5 large format and look forward to using this site. Thanks!

Tom Abbott

Brian C. Miller
20-Mar-2011, 18:11
Welcome, Tom! Have a look at the home page, and read the Cameras section. You might want to buy either from a good dealer in your area, or else take a look in the Classifieds section. If you wait a bit, there's always something that comes up for a very reasonable price.

I started out with MF, and then bought a Graflex Super Graphic. I also added a Toyo 45AX, which is the modern successor. These are good cameras, and there's lots of others, too.

What kind of photography do you usually do? Is it architectural, landscape, portraits, or still lifes (table top)?

Vick Vickery
20-Mar-2011, 20:08
Welcome to group therapy!

tnabbott
20-Mar-2011, 20:36
Welcome, Tom! Have a look at the home page, and read the Cameras section. You might want to buy either from a good dealer in your area, or else take a look in the Classifieds section. If you wait a bit, there's always something that comes up for a very reasonable price.

I started out with MF, and then bought a Graflex Super Graphic. I also added a Toyo 45AX, which is the modern successor. These are good cameras, and there's lots of others, too.

What kind of photography do you usually do? Is it architectural, landscape, portraits, or still lifes (table top)?

Thanks. I've usually focused on architectural, landscape, and still life. I would love to do portraits too. I haven't been a member long enough to gain access to the classifieds, but when I do I will look out for something good to get started.

tnabbott
20-Mar-2011, 20:37
Welcome to group therapy!

Thanks! My name it Tom and I am a photography junkie...

Wally
22-Mar-2011, 10:23
Hi All! I'm a hobby photographer currently using medium format cameras. I'm interested in learning about 4x5 large format and look forward to using this site. Thanks!

Tom Abbott

What part of San Diego are you in?

I'm in O.B.

// Wally

Vick Vickery
22-Mar-2011, 10:42
Since you're interested in architectural photography, you're wise to look into LF cameras...I still believe that in-camera corrections are superior to computer corrections, so still use a monorail camera for serious architectural work; since architectural photography is a side-line to my real estate appraisal business, it gives me plenty of good excuses to break out the big camers, though I will admit to using a DSLR for most appraisal photos since there is usually a rush and the customers just want an idea of the property's appearance rather than the end product being the photograph.

Michael Cienfuegos
22-Mar-2011, 22:48
Welcome aboard! I'm in East County, El Cajon. :)

Roger Thoms
22-Mar-2011, 23:00
Thanks! My name it Tom and I am a photography junkie...

And my name is Roger and I can stop anytime I want, I just don't want to. Welcome aboard.