PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Printing Workshop, Vancouver BC, June 2011

Vaughn
14-Mar-2011, 17:41
I am giving a carbon printing workshop in Vancouver, BC, Canada

June 24th and 25th (Friday, 4pm to 9pm, and Saturday, 10am to 5pm)

$200 (US or Canadian dollars)

It will be held at the Focal Point. You will have the opportunity to carry out all stages of the carbon printing process, including, of course, making prints. My goal is to give everyone the knowledge and skills to make carbon prints once they return home. Carbon printing is not a difficult process, but it is just complicated enough to make it a challenge to learn on one's own. I taught myself from a magazine article and thus I have made just about all of the mistakes possible for you already!

I have been making carbon prints since 1992 and have given carbon workshops at the Ansel Adams Gallery in Yosemite, at PhotoCentral in Hayward, CA and at the Visual Arts Center in Newport, Oregon.

For more information, please contact me at: vaughn.hutchins@humboldt.edu

It would help me if you would put "Vancouver Carbon Workshop" on the subject line. Thanks!

Vaughn
19-Mar-2011, 17:43
There is an 8 person limit for this workshop. There are two spots left, then I will make a waiting list if needed.

Vaughn
20-Mar-2011, 12:07
One spot left...

Jim Fitzgerald
20-Mar-2011, 16:10
Vaughn, what a deal! Someone sign up. This is a fantastic bargain. Vaughn is a master carbon printer. A great opportunity.

cdholden
20-Mar-2011, 16:27
Feel free to bring one of these workshops to Tennessee. :)

Steve Hamley
20-Mar-2011, 17:14
Ditto!

Cheers, Steve

Vaughn
20-Mar-2011, 17:32
Thanks, Jim.

I get worried if I can't see the Pacific Ocean ;)

And Tennessee is a lonnnnng drive!

Vaughn
21-Mar-2011, 13:27
The workshop is full, but I will put a couple people on a waiting list.

Andrew O'Neill
25-Mar-2011, 16:23
I just saw this now...
One word of caution to those going to the workshop. You will be forever hooked on carbon transfer printing!!! There is simply nothing that beats a
carbon transfer print. Have fun!

Vaughn
25-Mar-2011, 16:25
Shhhhh...

:cool:

mdm
25-Mar-2011, 19:40
You may also spend some time bashing your head against a concrete wall at some stage, but its worth it.

Vaughn
25-Mar-2011, 21:54
When I was teaching myself the process, after many many 12-hour work sessions I had to say to myself, "Well Vaughn, I hope you learned something new, because you certainly did not get a decent print today."

But then that is one of the reasons I give workshops -- even after 15 or 20 years, I feel the need to justify those print-less 12-hour work sessions somehow...and if I can reduce someone's head-banging, that is a good way to do it...LOL!

mdm
25-Mar-2011, 22:24
Yes, a workshop would save a lot of time. I quite like bashing away on my own though and when you make your own mistakes, you really begin to understand what you are doing. Teaching others would probably force you into even deeper understanding. Have fun.

Vaughn
25-Mar-2011, 22:58
What was good when I went through the learning process is that I never saw a carbon print other than my own attempts -- so I did not know what they were "suppose" to look like. I had to make that decision on my own.

Curt
25-Mar-2011, 23:05
When you're just beginning to get the basics and someone asks you to explain the process that's the real test. It's one thing to have the details and inter process procedures in mind to make a print and another to verbalize it to a person who is totally unfamiliar with the process.

"Let's see, you take some gelatin" "What's gelatin?" You get the picture. I was thinking of making up a card that has the process written out ahead of time; I'd hand them the card and smile. Well maybe it's going to be a brochure, or a magazine, or a book. Well that's the way it is. You don't have to be a rocket scientist, but it sure helps.

Let the fun begin, after the work of course.

Curt (looking forward to Vancouver 2011) Has the city changed much since Expo '86? I already know two other people that will be there.

Andrew O'Neill
26-Mar-2011, 07:48
Has Vancouver changed sinced expo 86? Big time. I prefered pre-1986 Vancouver.

Bill Kumpf
26-Mar-2011, 09:29
I second "Tennessee". Maybe a road trip with several workshops would be feasible.

grahamcase
28-Mar-2011, 09:32
I'm excited to meet all the people coming to the workshop; I won't be participating myself, but I work at Focal Point where the workshop is taking place, so I'll be around (behind the front desk, more than likely).

Cheers!

Vaughn
28-Mar-2011, 11:10
Hello Graham,

Dave has talked me into giving an alternative photography lecture/talk before the workshop -- hope you will be able to attend!

Vaughn

jontobey
25-Apr-2011, 14:32
So, any chance of doing another one if the demand is large enough? How about doing one in Seattle? I could try to arrange a space.